APFS performance tuning

pepitillo

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have installed High Sierra and I realised that my SSD drive was reformatted to APFS (without problems, I don't believe it).

Now I was wondering if there are any tips to make it work better in a Hackintosh, because the performance I think is more or less the same that which HFS+.

Thanks guys!

Hello. I've seen a little improvement on overall performance of my hard disk, now It's about 1450 Mb/sec (reading) vs 1350Mb/sec it was before APFS. It's hard to notice a speed bump in everyday use, maybe you'll see an improvement when dealing with many small files but I don't think there's much to do for optimize HD performance more than the OS itself....

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched back to HFS+, even on my EVO850 HFS is so much faster than APFS. System loading time is again almost 3 times faster. No lags anymore.

You can do that using 1:1 copy all files to a backup drive, copy all EFI bootconfig, then format original drive with HFS+, install clover (for writing bootblocks, boot files etc), copy over EFI bootconfig, and then 1:1 copy everything back.