Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

I have got an Atheros5004 in my notebook but Leopard doesn't recognize it. When I try the solution from matt-hieu ergosteur, I encounter a problem.

Can anyone explain to me what is meant by:

make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102  Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext

Because when I type this:

drwxr-xr-x   3  root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006  IO80211Family.kext

Leopard responds:

drwxr-xr-x: command not foud

Am I suppose to type this line in the console, or should I verify that there is a line somewhere that matches the line above? If so, where can I find this?

Wow. Just wow. This site really needs a super-duper newbie forum. I can see why it doesn't have one, however. 3 out of every 4 posts would be in it.

ls -al /System/Library/Extensions

That's what you type, but you're in way over your head already.

Guest BuildSmart

utterly amazing as someone else stated...

Now that I've stopped laughing I can resume my tour around here.

This is my first attempt at installing osx. When I first installed Kalway 10.5.2 and started to investigate why my Atheros cad wasn't working. I saw the 1080211Family.kext was listed in extensions in red and at one point following instructions from somewhere to run the kext it returned a 'bus error'. Now after following instructions at the beginning of this thread I have successfuly copied the 10.4.5 kext into the extensions folder and edited the networkinterfaces.plist changing en0 to en1. I got 'extension loaded successfully' and the airport icon shows up in Network however it won't start. I also notice that in the system info there are no PCI cards listed and my Atheros AR5005GS card is PCI. Can anyone advise what might be wrong with my setup at this stage?

Ok, got atheros 5005 MiniPCI working, also using 10.4.7 JaS.

edit: please note you have to have your wireless/airport device as en1, in my case my built in ethernet takes en0 so it works out fine. (make change in /library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist)

1. Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html)
  2. Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
  3. Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)
  4. open finder to /System/Library/Extensions
  5. drag the kext from 10.4.5 update into the /System/Library/Extensions folder
  6. enter passsword when prompted
  7. open the disk utility (/Application/Utilities/Disk Utility), then repair permissions on your Startup volume (may take a little while)
  8. open up terminal, and switch to root (enter sudo -s, enter your user password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel IO80211family.kext

then list the contents

ls -l

make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext

check that the permissions propagated to subdirectories:

cd IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins
ls -l

should look like this:

total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AirPortAtheros5424.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network

a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :blink:

thanks so much for helping everybody, but in this case i couldnt make it work because I have Leopard Kalyway 10.5.2 any suggestions?

(my ethernet Wireless LAN card is a DWL-G520 V. B1, it has an atheros AR5005G chip as far as i know)

can you help me????

Hi all,

I've updated my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 using Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate + kernel 9.3.0, but now my Atheros 2005(g) dont work, both in boot or in Terminal show this:

bash-3.2# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext
extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext has potential problems:
Warnings
{
"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true
}

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext appears to be loadable
16AtherosInterface is not compatible with its superclass, 16IO80211Interface superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext
link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again,

I solve my problem with attached IO80211Family.kext drive.

It works fine with 10.5.3. If anyone have problems with atheros 5005(g) and kalyway 10.5.3 comboupdate +kernel 9.3.0 Download It!

Thanks!

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Thanks, your kext did help me recover my connection (although I still have to use the wizard to activate it each time I boot).

Guest BuildSmart

Having picked up a couple of Atheros miniPCI cards to play with, I started with the AR5005VL and it appears that the subsystem ID's are used by the apple extension so it knows which driver to load, by having the incorrect ID's it loads a basic 11b driver which does not appear to be compatible with this card.

I decided I'd hack the card and change the ID's so I did a fresh unmodified vanilla install of 10.5, changed the ID's and wouldn't you know it, the card now works and I don't have to edit any plists to make the card be recognized or work.

I've done the same with the AR5006E and AR5008E cards, while the AR5008E card worked before I changed the ID's I couldn't get a connection greater than 130mbps, after the change I get connection speed of 300mbps so I have concluded that just editing the info.plist does make some cards work but it does not provide full functionality or capability and the only way to do this is to change some ID's within the card itself (no easy task for Atheros cards) so that it loads the correct driver.

You can google about changing the ID's for Atheros cards, it's a long drawn out process and requires an installation of linux cause you have to download and build some tools to help in the process.

I don't have instructions and don't see myself making the time to write out any so asking would be a waste of time, the information is available via google and in a day you can perform the task yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gone through the steps listed on page one with no problems. The only noticeable differences are when I do

ls -l

I get

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Jun  5 13:37 IO80211Family.kext

Notice the at sign. Is that a problem? I have never seen the at sign in permissions before, what does that mean?

Second, when I run

I get

kextload: extension AirPortAtheros5424.kext is already loaded

Also, I am running Kalaway 10.5.2.

When I look in my Network Preferences I can see an AirPort connection listed but I cannot turn AirPort on. When I click the 'Turn AirPort On' button, nothing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions and or ideas?

One last question, how do I determine my exact wireless card in OS X? Is there something similar to the Devices Hardware List on XP?

Guest BuildSmart
Thanks, your kext did help me recover my connection (although I still have to use the wizard to activate it each time I boot).

Further research and testing has brought me to the conclusion that installing the older 10.4.x Airport kexts in 10.5 is a bad move.

The dependancies are broken and this is a contributing factor to non-functional wireless adapters.You are far better off rebranding the device than you are installing those kexts, performance is superior and the device tends to be more compliant with the environment and the OS in general.

The bigger issue is knowing which chipset should bear which ID's.Having the wrong ID's is just as destructive as having the wrong kexts, wrong drivers are loaded and the potential for a panic increases.

I've played with Broadcom and Atheros cards, I've had very good luck rebranding cards and I'm careful to select ID's that closely match the device being modified to ensure the correct driver is being loaded.

The secret is knowing which chipset is contained in the device.

WMP300N (LinkSYS) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x0087 (unfortunately you can't modify this card due to lack of software).

WMP54GS (LinkSYS) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can change this adapter).

All BCM4306 a/b/g miniPCI cards I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can change this adapter).

All BCM4309 a/b/g miniPCI cards I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can change this adapter).

All BCM4318 a/b/g miniPCI cards I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can change this adapter).

Atheros AR5001 (b/g) I set subsys ID's to 0x168c,0x0024 (you can modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5001EX (a/b/g) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5005 (b/g) I set subsys ID's to 0x168c,0x0024 (you can modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5005X (a/b/g) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5006 (b/g) I set subsys ID's to 0x168c,0x0024 (you can modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5006XS (a/b/g) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x004e (you can modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5008 (b/g/n) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x0085 (unfortunately you can't modify this card due to lack of software).

Atheros AR5008X (a/b/g/n) I set subsys ID's to 0x106b,0x0086 (unfortunately you can't modify this card due to lack of software).

One drawback to this approach is that you need to modify the ID's in your Windows driver (the .inf) file for the device to have continued support in windows.

Fortunately I was blessed with drivers from Broadcom that are WHQL so I don't have any issues with Broadcom cards, Atheros on the otherhand, I have to search and find drivers that are WHQL and contain the generic PCI ID's to match the device or modify existing drivers and ignore the not WHQL messages.

Another little secret, HP Pavilion Elite 9080, if you have one or can get your hands on one and it came with an HP PCI-Express wireless adapter, borrow it and stick it in your hack, you'll be very impressed, I would beg, borrow or trade a card of similar functionality just to obtain that one.

I have gone through the steps listed on page one with no problems. The only noticeable differences are when I do
ls -l

I get

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Jun  5 13:37 IO80211Family.kext

Notice the at sign. Is that a problem? I have never seen the at sign in permissions before, what does that mean?Second, when I run

I get

kextload: extension AirPortAtheros5424.kext is already loaded

Also, I am running Kalaway 10.5.2.When I look in my Network Preferences I can see an AirPort connection listed but I cannot turn AirPort on. When I click the 'Turn AirPort On' button, nothing happens.Does anyone have any suggestions and or ideas?One last question, how do I determine my exact wireless card in OS X? Is there something similar to the Devices Hardware List on XP?

It sounds like you have one of the AR2412 cards and while you can get it recognized, there is no compatible driver in the Atheros kext and switching to the 10.4.x kext is a mistake despite what any one else tells you.

If you want to get your wifi working pm me your e-mail and I'll help you make it work.

Just understand that I'm not a patient person so resolving it quickly would be my goal, getting you to understand how or why doesn't even factor into the process otherwise your welcome to try and figure it out on your own.

I offer to help, you can accept or reject it, you can't reject now and expect to accept later, at that point I'd probably tell you "you should have accepted my offer when I made it" and that would be the end of it.

There are others on this forum who can tell you I have resolved their wireless issues, even by providing a driver for a device that none publicly seem to exist for.

It's up to you now.

The "at" sign means there are extended attributes on the file. It took me a week to figure that out. This site was no help, naturally. Google around and you will find the commands you need to look at the extended attributes and add/remove them from files. In general, they don't affect most things.

Hey Guys, I could use some help. I have it fully working with the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.8 and it recognizes in Network Prefrences, but I have this problem:

Picture1.png

It does not want to turn on, if I press Turn On Airport, it does nothing.

If I go into Assist me... Diagnostics, and check this box here:

Picture2-1.png

It will see my network here:

Picture3-2.png

And say that is was able to connect to the network:

Picture4-1.png

When I hit quit, nothing changes, and network stays off. Help? I have Leopard 10.5.2 and a Atheros AR5005G With Vendor ID 168c and Device ID 7094.

I HAVE done the en0 to en1, or it was already that way.

Thanks in advance

Hey Guys, I could use some help. I have it fully working with the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.8 and it recognizes in Network Prefrences, but I have this problem:

Picture1.png

It does not want to turn on, if I press Turn On Airport, it does nothing.

If I go into Assist me... Diagnostics, and check this box here:

Picture2-1.png

It will see my network here:

Picture3-2.png

And say that is was able to connect to the network:

Picture4-1.png

When I hit quit, nothing changes, and network stays off. Help? I have Leopard 10.5.2 and a Atheros AR5005G With Vendor ID 168c and Device ID 7094.

I HAVE done the en0 to en1, or it was already that way.

Thanks in advance

Daverto,

Until today I did not obtain to place the Atheros natively to be initiated, without using the Assistant. Certainly that it is not possible to make the Atheros 5005g kext to function natively. However, in Tiger 10.4.11 atheros works natively.

@Smuxbr

I understand that, and if I run assistant though, it does not enable. it stays off.

@BigPimpin

I post images in their full resolution because when you scale down a image you lose quality, which means that they might miss something that could help. At least I am not posting about my 1680x1050 screen, that would take a while. You are the first person to complain.

i have exact same problem as daverto!

i have AR5006X card...i copied the IO80211Family.kext from another thread, the one that was from the updated airport utility...

and i replaced my old one with it, then chown,chmod, and removed the extension.mkext file....

airport was then there "under name parallels NAT", which may be caused because i have installed parallels desktop...

ne-way...

it does the same thing, wont "turn on" however it connects to the internet through diagnostics...

any help = awesome

cheers

Small update,

I wanted to update to N and got a Apple MacBook PRO WiFi Card 802.11n AR5BXB72 on Ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MacBook-PRO-WiFi...1742.m153.l1262

Had to put the ID's into the IO80211Family.kext to get it working. And for N to work I took IO80211Family.kext from my iMac that have the N enabler as I have Airport Extream. Now im screeeeming fast. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Daverto,

Until today I did not obtain to place the Atheros natively to be initiated, without using the Assistant. Certainly that it is not possible to make the Atheros 5005g kext to function natively. However, in Tiger 10.4.11 atheros works natively.

I was going to ask a similar question and it's, would I be able activate the airport option without going through the process of using the network diagnostics and I'm using a DWL-G510

Guest BuildSmart

I can confirm that some AR5005G and AR5005EG can be made to work in OSX and not have any issues with drivers if your card supports 802.11a/b/g, if your card only supports 802.11b/g then it requires a lot more work which involves decompiling the Atheros AirPort kext, modifying the source to support your chipset and build a new kext.

I have tried all of the things that you have tried, I have experienced the KP's due to unsupported chipset and cards that wont scan or connect to networks and the only thing that gave me a working solution was to rebrand the a/b/g cards or make a driver for the b/g cards.

My suggestion to you is this, find someone to decompile the kext who knows how to, have a programmer modify the source to support your chipset and make a new kext and use the new kext or buy a different card.

You are not limited to Atheros, Broadcom cards are much easier for the novice or less skilled OSX user to get working than Atheros cards or buy an actual apple card.

To see an example of a proper working solution look at AR5001X (yes I've done this a couple of times).

I'll even go one step further, make the source (C or C++) and post it and when I have a moment (that's all it takes) I'll make a project out of it and post the project so you can benefit from a good driver, I have no issues helping you fix your source code to work but I don't have the time to do all of the work for you, how you generate the source is entirely up to you.

hello fellow mac users i have a AR5005G wireless build in my airports dectected but i can not turn it on any solutions ? i followed the guid was plain an simple said new airport detected clicked apply nothing tried turn on airport nothing .... tried the en0 to en 1 trick repair perm then again nothing do i need to reboot or what ? any solutions