Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

will this work on the AR5BXB63 ? AR5007EG?

The 5007EG is a different chip design from the other 500X chips. Initially, it didn't even work under Linux, so I doubnt it will work with OSX, unless Apple starts using it.

The 5007EG in my Acer Aspire only worked with Windows, so I swapped it for an Airport Extreme (AR5006EXS) that works under Linux and Windows, but not OSX.

Hey guys i followed the tutorial above and also changed the Networkinterfaces.plist <integer>0<integer> to 1 and <string>en0<string> to en1 and when i went to Network Prefferences it shows as connected but when i go to network diagnostics and try to detect wireless networks it just keeps scanning and nothing shows up.By the i have a Toshiba Satellite A200-25V with a Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter,dual core.Ive been trying now for couple of days to get it going with no luck and im tired and hungry and i dont want to give up just yet.Thank you in advance! :)Anyone with a Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network adapter got it to work?I have a Toshiba Satellite A200-25V and have been trying to get this too work with no results.Any input would be apreciated,i tried the th method on the firs page and also change the integer 0 to 1 and en0 to en1 and after that the airport shows with a green dot next to itbut when i scan for networks it just keeps scanning with no results.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys i followed the tutorial above and also changed the Networkinterfaces.plist <integer>0<integer> to 1 and <string>en0<string> to en1 and when i went to Network Prefferences it shows as connected but when i go to network diagnostics and try to detect wireless networks it just keeps scanning and nothing shows up.

Same here. This used to work, it must have something to do with a recent update of apples. Seems we need to replace some new files with some old files again - at least that's what I think.

Any news on this?

Hi to all

I've got my wi-fi card working :D

OSX 10.5.2 wifi card atheros vendor 168c device 0013 (D-Link DWL-AG530)

1. I've downloaded official 10.4.5 update from apple site and extract IO80211Family.kext with Pacifist.

2. Move IO80211Family.ket to /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions and a pop-up window appeared that a new airport card was found. wow! But all changes in network settings werent saved.

3. So I wrote in file IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Info.plist <string>pci168c,0013</string> and of course repaired permissions to this file. Reboot - and i have wifi card working!

But i still can't turn on button "turn AirPort on" and wifi icon in menu bar is also inactive. Also after every reboot i have to restore network settings. But net is working and now i writeing this post using wifi connections. Thanx to all, sorry for my english-hooenglish =)

Same here. This used to work, it must have something to do with a recent update of apples. Seems we need to replace some new files with some old files again - at least that's what I think.

Any news on this?

Wellllllllll. I've got this button on my notebook that states 'wireless'... Once I pushed that button my wireless started working properly again. Wheeeeee. Shame on me.

Sorry to be a pain.

Everything is working great with 10.5.2 Leopard except for my atheros 5005g wireless card. It just refuses to be detected.

I've tried this and a few other solutions to no avail.

Is there anything I need to know?

Same here, I followed the steps as described on page 1, but when I go to network settings and I click on the ' Turn Airport On' button, nothing happens.

I'm using the 10.5.2 LeoForAll ISO, on an Fujitsu-Siemens PA1510.

I hope someone can help me out here, as I'm a noob in Mac OS X.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Shifty

But i still can't turn on button "turn AirPort on" and wifi icon in menu bar is also inactive. Also after every reboot i have to restore network settings. But net is working and now i writeing this post using wifi connections. Thanx to all, sorry for my english-hooenglish =)

Hi Frony,

have you tried this script?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0317&st=80#

If you put this to the StartupItems, your Atheros WLAN should work automatically.

F-Didi

Hello I am here to ask is there any difference in the chips 5007eg and 5007g

the atheros drivers site might help to shed some light

here the first ARxxx is the card number that we know the second is the chip reference or watever is it called it clearly states an unknown chip design in fron of 5007g and in front of 5007eg its ar2425

http://www.atheros.cz/

AR5001A AR5111/AR5211

AR5001X AR5111/AR5211/AR2111

AR5001X+ AR5111/AR5212/AR2111

AR5002G AR2112/AR5212

AR5002X AR5112/AR5212

AR5004G AR2112/AR5213

AR5004X AR5112/AR5213

AR5005G AR2413

AR5005GS AR2414

AR5005UG AR2112/AR5523

AR5005UX AR5112/AR5523

AR5006EG AR2424

AR5006EGS AR2424

AR5006EX AR5424

AR5006EXS AR5424

AR5006G AR2315

AR5006GS AR2316

AR5006X AR5413

AR5006XS AR5414

AR5007

AR5007EG AR2425

AR5007G

AR5007UG

AR5007UX

AR5008 AR5416

AR5008X AR5416/AR5133

As far as I can tell,

X = a/b/g (dual-band)

E = PCI Express/Expresscard

S = Super (A/)G

G = Regular 54Mbps 802.11G

So AR5006EXS is a PCI express Super A/G card, AR5006EGS is a PCI express Super G card, AR5006X is a PCI a/b/g card.

Note however that under Windows, AR5006X is used as the generic name for all cards with the PCI-ID 168c:001c (PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C) where the subsystem cannot be identified.

By this logic, the AR5007G is PCI/Cardbus and the AR5007EG is PCI express/Expresscard.

To answer your question, the AR5007G is based on the AR2417 chip.

Some of the information from that website is actually incorrect, for example, the AR5006EG is based on the AR2423 chip. The AR2424 has SuperG capabilities and is used in the AR5006EGS.

http://www.atheros.com/pt/bulletins/AR5006EGBulletin.pdf

http://www.atheros.com/pt/bulletins/AR5006EGSBulletin.pdf

Hello,

I've got a 5570Z that has a AR5BMB5 wireless chip (I believe it's an AR5005G). I can't seem to get the AR5005 IO80211Family.kext to work as it always says it's unusable (even after repair).

I'm running 10.5.2 from Kalyway (set up to use GUID) - it was originally 10.5.1 but I updated it.

Any other ideas?

I managed to get atheros 5005g card working using the Atheros5004g.pkg file that somebody uploaded. I installed the package and rebooted. It worked! I was able to browse the internet. But when I reboot again either the wireless card doesn't work or it is not detected. I have tried deleting extensions.mkext and repairing permissions, but I have to reinstall the original IO80211Family.kext, then repair permissions, then reboot, then install the package, then reboot again just to get it working again. Is there any way to fix this? By the way I am using leopard kalyway 10.5.1

After typing "sudo -s" in terminal, it asks for my password but for some reason i cant type my password, it wont let me type anything.. help anyone? please & thx! :)

Nothing will show up, just type anyways.

After typing "sudo -s" in terminal, it asks for my password but for some reason i cant type my password, it wont let me type anything.. help anyone? please & thx! :P

hehe, its just the way unix usually works in shells with keyboard interactive passwords - it doesn't show any characters when you are typing it but it does actually take the input. Just hit enter after you've done typing it.

YAY MY ar5005g is recognized :glare:,

now to the next part. pressing the 'turn on airport' has no effect at all what so ever.

i do the diagnostics and stuff and everything is green cept the airport cause its turned off. but it detects networks. its just i cant seem to turn it on D:! any idea? oh btw i heard from an "official" mac forum that its a bug in leopard (unable to turn on) so leopard does have some bugs then =/ lol