iMac A1312 27" lcd won't work

Kaya80

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

i had this big problem after HDD replacement, and i'm going to tell what happened.

I replace the HDD and installed the 10.13.2, everything worked fine, no fan noise, the system run smoothly, but i didn't apply the glass just in case i had to fix the hdd sensor.

So i shut down the mac in the night and removed the power cord to avoid any type of issue.

In the morning i returned on the machine, try to power on and when the mac power on i smelled a burnt scent, maybe some component, in the upper right part of the lcd, soon back the lcd.

I have backlight on the screen, if i connect to external it works, as second monitor but it works, there are no sign of burnt components, neither on the lcd ( inveter etc.) nor on the mainboard , so, what else can i check??

I'm desperate, the lcd make some kind of interferences but no chance to get it working again

Only if have another LCD thats the same pinouts. The cable are around 20$US or so on eBay. The LCD Display on the other hand is 200$. If you have another display and an apple display connector (display or thunderbolt) you could hook up another monitor that would isolate to see if the video card is okay.  Then you can make a decision if you need another display.

Lou Cioccio

Ok, i remember that i try that, and it worked...

Update: i've tried right now and works perfectly, so it's the lcd for sure, right??

Anyone can give me a suggestion on where to buy a new one, or a used one to replace my broken lcd? Is here a market in the forum, just to be sure

I usually go to DVWarehouse for parts and even advice. I did just look at their site but did not find any iMac displays. I also did a search on eBay that had some for your model. The one thing I liked about DVWarehouse is if you email and ask whatever the problem your having they will email back. There may be other parts vendors out there you'll have to google.  

Try looking around and "smelling" that display to see if a cable did get burned. I "think" basically there are three cables: sensor, display and inverter. They may be taped over so use the spluger to release the tape. If its a cable its a lot less expensive than the display.

Good luck, we have been hammered with snow in Erie PA just dug out two cars in my drive way so we may win the snow globe award.

Lou Cioccio