Test drove Vista RTM

TopazBar

63 posts in this topic

Very nice indeed. Everything just worked out the box for change (quick, someone remind me why I am banging my head trying to make my system OSX compatible), LOL.

Feels polished, and GUI looks refreshing (OSX aqua getting old?).

Vista is going to force some serious hardware upgrade cycle in market place.

Price of cpu, memory, and hdd should be going up.

This would be good for hardware vendors in general.

I still love OSX but Vista is catching up real fast.

BTW, I used BillGates one from :) bay.

I like the GUI too, but I hope the extend this not just to the OS, but the Apps as well. I know OS X has it's share of looks for Apps (Aqua, Brushed Metal, Brushed Metal Itunes, etc), but still it all kinda hangs together from an astetic viewpoint a tad better than vista IMO.

But still, a huge improvement over XP, so your right kudos to be given.

I try RTM Vista also. It crashed after 1.5 h of use I can't boot to it anymore. I just try to install office 2007. Good old windows. Everything like in old days. :)

It's point in good direction (not this one I wrote earlier :), overall) but I feel it sluggish on my hardware. I feel also that this is not finish, some function works like some hobbyist beta work (this alert when screen get darker and you have little box with option, is one of them, after accidently not allow flash to install, this darker screen flicker on every web page I visit, and I don't have any option on it, This darker screen just fill like not good integrated to system, it's hard to say with my poor english)

Areao fill like some custom shell for windows XP. I am little disappointing because there is no relative filesystem also, this would be killer feature for windows if it only exist

Anyway they are some good futures (I think so) . Must reinstall again, like in good old times :) and mess with this system more

The GUI is beautiful, but OSX is still far superior. The switching among open windows, OSX copy. The new search is a spotlight rip off. Hell, there is a screen saver that is almost like the Apple screen saver with the streams of colored lights (can't remember the name of it). The widgets, well that is a plain rip off of dashboard (no I don't care if Apple copied it, cause until Vista they were the only OS that had them default and where Apple copied/got the idea from, Apple was still the only OS with widgets out of the box)

Many Vista "features" are plain out copies. Finally, you get the security of having to authenticate things since you are not pure administrator, though going pure administrator is needed and I think they will have to change that later on. I was blown away when I first used it and posted that on Friday, but I calmed down, got my geekyness under control :( , and got back to OSX and I love it more. Microsoft DID do a good job and hats off to them, but they are just playing catch up to OSX and copying features from OSX isn't going to do it.

One more though, I think that Apple get thats something and know how to do things right,

Windows gadgets are good overall but sidebar is peace of s..t. Option to put sidebar over windows is not good idea, this just take workspace and sidebar is to small to handle gadgets. Turning on and of is pain. Apple dashboard is way way better

Flip 3d is another peace of ..... . This is little choppy and I don't find this useful

Media center is good peace of software but is out of system (just another app) front row is so integrated, it's cleaver made. This fade desktop distract you and you don't even know when this everything is loading, easy and clean. (I love this fade, this is just screenshot faded away but it's superior also)

Many colors in Vista but it fill just crowd.

I like new demo song in WMP 11. :( speech recognition and tablet integration are good also, but I probably newer use them.

You're exception to the rule. You know your stuff, but most people aren't as technically oriented and are just grateful for what they get (and they will think MS invented all that).

Comparing Vista to XP makes sense but not to OSX. They are truely different.

The GUI is beautiful, but OSX is still far superior. The switching among open windows, OSX copy. The new search is a spotlight rip off. Hell, there is a screen saver that is almost like the Apple screen saver with the streams of colored lights (can't remember the name of it). The widgets, well that is a plain rip off of dashboard (no I don't care if Apple copied it, cause until Vista they were the only OS that had them default and where Apple copied/got the idea from, Apple was still the only OS with widgets out of the box)

Many Vista "features" are plain out copies. Finally, you get the security of having to authenticate things since you are not pure administrator, though going pure administrator is needed and I think they will have to change that later on. I was blown away when I first used it and posted that on Friday, but I calmed down, got my geekyness under control :( , and got back to OSX and I love it more. Microsoft DID do a good job and hats off to them, but they are just playing catch up to OSX and copying features from OSX isn't going to do it.

OMG shut up if you don't like us saying it! :construction:

Seriously, that is my opinion so get over it. I mean longhorn was going a COMPLETELY different way then they went the Vista route. If anybody is to dense or in denial to see all the OSX rip offs, then you are dumber than I thought. Vista is great, I am sure it will succeed but you are right, I am more technical than others and being a System Admin I have seen what Longhorn has been and now IS and it went from XP 1.5 or something, to the OSX copying Vista of today. *shrugs* Don't have to like my opinion, but if you kept up with things you guys would see the complete and utter rip offs that Vista has in it and how all these "features" were added when Longhorn was sucking ass. MS did this to get some thunder away from Apple, plain and simple. Yes Apple has copied stuff in the past, that is fine, but after OSX has become it's on "entity" they developed they own features for OSX. Windows have evolved from 3.0, to the 3.1 version, to 3.11 for Workgroups, to the new and buggy 95, to 98, branched off to NT for business, then ME tried to combine the two and failed, then 2000 was super stable and work friendly/with gaming ability, and finally it went to XP which was the super combination of business and home entertainment. Media Center Edition came, but really was just an extension of XP. Longhorn was mainly go into the 64 era and when it was failing miserably, Vista was born and the "borrowing of ideas" that some like to say, began. Sorry but I don't buy it. I geeked out when I used Vista, sue me. But I went back to OSX and saw where all the "innovation" in Vista came from. Deny it all you want, it is still there. :angel:

OMFG PPL QUIT SAYING APPLE STEALS FROM MICROSOFT AND QUIT SAYING MICROSFOT STEALS FROM APPLE IM TIRED OF HEARING IT.

i m agree with you ...

it s the same everywhere ... everyone take the good ideas & put them in their product

the beginning was with apple, they grab all the interestings things in the xerox labs ( graphical interface mouse etc ... )

so yes PEOPLE stop saying MS stole this or Apple stole that !! they all steal good ideas & that s great !!!! it s for your pleasure only :angel:

anyway i must say i m pretty happy with the result of win vista

though i find the latests beta build ( 5840 & 5920 ) much faster than the RTM & that sucks !!!! :/

You are right !!

"Vista was born and the "borrowing of ideas" that some like to say, began. Sorry but I don't buy it. I geeked out when I used Vista, sue me. But I went back to OSX and saw where all the "innovation" in Vista came from. Deny it all you want, it is still there."

Anyway we can test its stability when it is released all over! No one can deny that vista is OS X ver 2.

You are right !!

"Vista was born and the "borrowing of ideas" that some like to say, began. Sorry but I don't buy it. I geeked out when I used Vista, sue me. But I went back to OSX and saw where all the "innovation" in Vista came from. Deny it all you want, it is still there."

Anyway we can test its stability when it is released all over! No one can deny that vista is OS X ver 2.

Thank you, somebody that isn't on the MS hype machine.

Again to those that don't like us saying who copied who: stop reading the topics/posts. No offense, I am not fighting with anybody, but there are those like me that are NOT getting on the Vista hype machine and we don't have to. Our opinions will not change, so respect them.

Just as an FYI, Microsoft stole gadgets/widgets from Apple who stole it from Konfabulator who initially stole it from Apple.

On the GUI front, I couldn't stand the circus carnival theme, I mean XP theme. So, when I use it in Virtual PC (yep, I have my PPC Mac and love it), I removed the circus theme and put in the "normal Windows" theme. I did the same thing in OS X also, using Graphite instead of the circus carnival theme they offer.

Hopefully, a turn off can happen in Vista too, because eye candy for eye candy's sake can get old really fast (genie effect anyone???).

It Vista is so resource hog for you also? When it starts will my memory to about 800 MB and then put half of this to the swap.

I wrote lot of criticism about Vista but I won to say that it’s not because Microsoft is evil or something and I don’t like it. They copied lots of things form Os X but this not the point. The point is that they don’t do this right. It’s cheap. But not everything is bad I try office 2007 and must to say that this is simple amazing, definitely best Office suite I ever see and use. And it is innovative.

You can turn off the aero stuff Moose, but I do like OSX flair cause it doesn't really kill the system.

I try turn it off and this don't help a lot system responsibility

there is bunch new services working, they took loots of memory.

They must do something. :( we will see in time

Funny when I tried the preview version of Vista we have here (need to try RTM) it won't play a DVD. Plus the damn machine has 2 gig ram and it said "You are low on memory". What the hell?

I try sometime ago beta 2 64 bit, these one was absolutely useless on my machine. RTM is much faster, don't compare it to beta or preview

I really like vista, Its fast (for me faster than xp) by a longshot

I am excited about new DX 10 features i reed that game coded for DX 9 and DX 10 will run on DX 10 20% faster because of new architecture

I read somewhere that with new driver and DX 10 windows can take advantage of graphic processor not only for games but use it like another processor or something, can use GPU to make some calculation that earlier was calculated only by CPU.

I am now "test driving" Vista x64 (WinBeta AIO :) Flavour)

You got to hand it to M$, they seem to have worked really hard for this. :)

(Even though lot of features are inspired from other OSes)

I really like the new unix style security improvements in the x64 version, seems Windows is finally

getting a bit more serious. :angel:

Personally feel, this version (x64) is the next best Windows version after Win2K.

All my hardware worked straightaway.

As for value for money..

500 odd bucks for an OS ? (Vista Ultimate) :P

And who in their right mind will want to buy a Vista Basic ??