Black Screen with Nvidia 1060 on 10.12.6. Yeah, one again..

Delecta

11 posts in this topic

Hi ! 

Here is my config : 

Mobo : MSI Z270 SLI Plus

CPU : i7 7700K

GPU : Inno3D Nvidia 1060 GTX 6 Gb

RAM : 16 Gb 2400 MHz

SSD : Samsung 850 500 Go

So my setup worked fine since one week at least. But this morning when I start my computer it goes on black screen after the Apple logo like the Nvidia Web driver doesn't boot. So i start with nvda_disable = 1 to see if my Mac just update on background. I was sure I desactivate the auto-update and I was right, there were some security update to do, so I decide to make the update and update the Nvidia web driver too (378.05.05.25F01 to 378.05.05.25F04). After the both update, it doesn't work again.. I try to enable/disable nva_drv=1 and NvidiaWeb option in clover configurator and nothing worked. I don't understand why it stopped working from one day to other.

Thanks to helping me.

config.plist.zip

Hi,

You got 1060. It might be you'll have problems running with it. 1050Ti and 1060 got traits from the old GTX 960. Which used to have tons of problems too. Especially if non reference. But lets disregard this fact. 

You got nvida_drv=1, which you don't need with Pascal cards anymore. Well not as a direct boot argument. You would want Nvidia Web = true in System Parameter. You would also want Nvidia Web Drivers and emuvariable_64.efi you can install this with clover. Since you are using iMac 17.1 you would need a solution to patch AGDP. A common patching solution for AGDP is Nvidiafix kext and Lulu. You can google this up. Good luck :)

Hey Dwarfy !

First, thank you for answering me. I wasn't aware of the traits of the 1060 and they're inconveniences.

I forgot to said that I tried nvidiagraphicsfixup and it doesn't work..

Thank You

Could be that it is your GTX 1060 GFX after all. It is Inno3D, non reference. Would rather suggest something reference, if non reference cards, then better get the 1070 +. 

If you rely a lot on MacOS, maybe a better choice would be to sell the card, or return/swap/exchange it if possible. 

MacOS is also more optimised with AMD graphics cards, if that is a future thing to look into...?

@Dwarfy . In "non-reference" you mean the brand , you think it will be better if I take a MSI or whatever known ? Yes, I can go on AMD GPU but I wanna upgrade to GTX 1080 so I will be sad if I can't.

@Mald0n Thank you for hekping me ! But I tried your fix and it doesn't work in the two ways :/

It will changes something if I change the SMBIOS ? I don't know what I can use with my parts ?

Thank you

@Dwarfy . In "non-reference" you mean the brand , you think it will be better if I take a MSI or whatever known ? Yes, I can go on AMD GPU but I wanna upgrade to GTX 1080 so I will be sad if I can't.

@Mald0n Thank you for hekping me ! But I tried your fix and it doesn't work in the two ways :/

It will changes something if I change the SMBIOS ? I don't know what I can use with my parts ?

Thank you

Reference is now Called Founders Edition by Nvidia. While non-reference are the other branded cards with the different coolers on. But, even if a card got different cooler, doesn't not mean it is non-reference, they can still be reference with reference PCBs. Reference in this case would be the chips/cars that aren't modified in anyway by the third party manufacturer. In your case, the manufacturer is Inno3D. Not saying Inno3D doesn't keep the gfx with reference PCBs, they might. But a strong possibility they don't, as companies who use third party coolers don't use reference chips. Well known brand or not, got little or nothing to say about the graphics cards being reference or non-reference. 

This is the Laymen way of explaining reference and non-reference.