Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
498 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... but IONEtworkingFamily.kext is unchanged to 10.13.4 beta4. Even old, in 10.13.3, working kext is not working. Like I said, ids etc. for PCI Match still match, but card is just undetected by OS.

Hope they will fix it with final 10.13.4. If not we "flushed" our 10GBit Cards with Apple FW, lost many Features (WOL etc) and is still not working in OS X native. (That was the plan why I did this)

Edited by TECH_ATTACK

There is a new firmware update on station-drivers website for Aquantia AQC107 cards. But I was unable to get the firmware updated. 

WOL has never ever worked on my ASUS card irrespective of the driver used in Windows.

Yeah, you can't update the Firmware with "normal" way, because since Apple flashed their FW to the card the VEN/DEV Id is mismatching to the "Windows" FW like them on  station-driver. Maybe someone will find a way to force a fw update (if they don't want the apple fw anymore)

I am more interested to know whether people who have real iMacPro1,1 model are having Ethernet problems with 10.13.4 Beta 4 & 5 ? If even they have problems, we can expect a bug fix.

BTW people with costly iMacPros will not bother installing betas for doing serious work.

Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the ASUS XG-C100C to work in my hackintosh. I'm running 10.13.3 and it seems the card has successfully been patched as it's showing as an Apple AQC107-AFW, but the card has a bogus MAC of 01:00:01:ff:00:00 and only gets a self-assigned IP. Assigning an IP doesn't help. However, it negotiates the speed correctly...

What am I missing?

Screenshot 2018-03-18 22.40.02.png

Screenshot 2018-03-18 22.38.07.png

Screenshot 2018-03-18 22.37.44.png

Screenshot 2018-03-18 22.37.40.png

Screenshot 2018-03-18 22.37.24.png

Seems to be my card is broken with Apple FW. If the Card is inserted now I got "Code 62 Check NVRAM" and no boot for a long time. If yes, it boots to Windows but no Connection with this card. When I remove the card all is running good.

(Card was running native under 10.13.3)

Edited by TECH_ATTACK

I'd suggest to wait until the final release of 10.13.4 is out and we will see what Apple is going to put us through. In case all the trouble is caused by a bug, chances are high that it will be resolved by then. In case they want to prevent us from using their driver with flashed cards, we'll see how. The number of ways to achieve this is limited (check of MAC address or serial number) and it shouldn't be too hard to find a patch in case of such a scenario. Keep calm as the :cat:!

Mieze

Edited by Mieze

Card is still not getting detected in Beta 6. Are we done for good with these useless cards?

In Windows, if my PC starts from shut down state, the card comes up as network cable unplugged. So I have to go to device manager and disable-enable it to get it functional. This has to be done everytime my PC boots. Now it is not even working on macOS. Very frustrating. $100 down the drain. 

I recommend people not to buy any Aquantia AQC107 based ethernet cards because

• The firmware is unstable.
  • Drivers are carp.
  • Do not support WOL as advertised.  
  • Do not work in macOS as of 10.13.4
  • Do not work in Windows with cold boot. Show network unplugged error.

Someone suggested me to replace my Netgear 10GBE switch which cost me $800. I rather throw this ASUS XG-C100C into dustbin be happy with Intel X540-T2.

Edited by d5aqoep

The fact that several users report their cards to be broken since 10.13.4 beta may be the result of a power management issue. In case the latest versions of Apple's driver try to activate ASPM (Active State Power Management) for the chip in order to reduce platform power consumption, you might get strange results, similar to defective hardware, provided the mainboard/BIOS doesn't support ASPM properly or disables it in BIOS. I must admit that I haven't checked the code, so my opinion is based on pure speculation, but it would be an explanation for this behavior which doesn't involve sabotage by Apple. Anyway, I'd take a look at my BIOS setting with regard to ASPM before I consider the card to be lost.

As soon as Apple releases the final version of 10.13.4 I'll take a look at the code in order to be sure...

Mieze

I purchased a new AQN107 card from Aquantia’s Asian partner for $69. If Apple does manage to bring back alive my current ASUS XG-C100C in final 10.13.4, I will put the new card in my QNAP. 

I desperately need WOL. It’s even advertised on Aquantia’s spec sheet but in reality was not working with any previous drivers. :(

1 hour ago, DSM2 said:

Goodness...

For all where it doesn’t work any more!!!

Just Install or reinstall the Apple bootcamp drivers for this card and that’s it! It will work! 

Bootcamp driver : https://www.dropbox.com/s/94p4wsxgkbegeck/Aquantia64v2.0.015.0.zip?dl=0

LMAO! You sir are on a different tangent all together.  :lol:

We are talking about getting this card to work in macOS which is the point of this forum. Right now from macOS 10.13.4 Beta 3, the card stopped getting detected.

Everyone knows that the card works with that driver you posted in Windows. The same link is already there on the first post of this topic. However, with those Bootcamp drivers for Windows, my card shows network cable unplugged if my PC boots into Windows from a shutdown. If I restart Windows, it works as intended.

No it doesn't work. Tried it twice. It's absurd logic for me. Someone else got it to work?

@DSM2 The screenshot of driver version you are showing is from 10.13.3 (1.2.46)

In 10.13.4 betas, they regressed to driver version (1.0.49)

10.13.2 Final -> 1.0.32

10.13.3 Final -> 1.2.46

10.13.4 Beta -> 1.0.49

Edited by d5aqoep

1 hour ago, meaganmargaret said:

Too bad.....

What if you changed the driver back to 1.2.46?  I suppose that requires messing with IONetworking kext, but that could be done.  Not really easy, but I've done that in the past.....

I'm guessing you might have already tried that....

I tried using the kext from 10.13.3 but it didn't work like AppleHDA.kext works to enable HDMI Audio.

To be honest I‘ve did not test it on my own rig. 

i‘ve uploaded the files for an other member ( boot camp drivers and also if I remember correct the old Kext ).

He send me the picture after he had installed it. He was before doing that on the latest beta but maybe he installed 10.13.3 again. I will ask him later. 

Sorry for inconvenience...

But maybe I can help you guys anyway. Since there is a new MacOS driver even in beta, there should also be one as a bootcamp driver. Will download the latest one later. Maybe there is also a new version out. 

Edited by DSM2

On 3/20/2018 at 2:59 AM, meaganmargaret said:

Try assigning a static ip and see if it can transfer data.   My first Aquantia came up like yours, and a static ip fixed it.  But then after a few system restarts, DHCP started to work on it.

Thanks, Mieze!

Sadly, I've had no luck with either countless restarts or assigning a static IP... It says it's connected if I assign it a manual IP, router and DNS, but nothing's coming through.