[SUCCESS] Gigabyte EP43-DS3L High Sierra on obsolete hardware

macinsane

31 posts in this topic

*This guide is deprecated and will not be maintained anymore*

Update: Now running Mojave! Thanks to mojave2core! Yeah :thumbsup_anim:  Still using C2D in 2019! ;)

Inserted a nice and cheap GT710 that is not relying on nVidias Webdrivers and runs OOB under Mojave.

Nice, seeing High Sierra running on this old but capable system! It rocks with a new ASUS GT1030 ;)

Config:

Gigabyte EP43-DS3L

Core2Quad Q9300

6 GB DDR2 RAM

Asus GT1030 2GB

Sandisk SSD 128GB

TP-Link AC1200 Wifi USB

Inateck KT4006 USB 3.0 PCIe (No boot)

SMBIOS: iMac14,1

Clover: 4297  4360

A good deal of DSDT editing was necessary to get this machine to boot High Sierra but finally it works flawlessly, even sleep and wake!

You NEED to have the DSDT put in place for installation because otherwise macOS doesn't recognize the SATA ports.

There are a few important BIOS settings: SATA hast to be set to AHCI and "native" and HPET has to be run "64-bit", I'd recommend to disable IDE and the serial and parallel port.

For the GT1030 nVidia Webdrivers are needed, have to boot with nv_disable=1 until you have them installed.

You have to install Clover in legacy mode because this old fella does not support UEFI.

Only downside: The so often recommended Inateck USB-card isn't recognized by BIOS, so you cannot boot from it. It works perfectly within macOS though, have the ac-Wifi connected to it.

config.plist.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

Edited by macinsane
  • Like 8

I have a mobo almost same as yours,EP45-UD3R and I modded it from 775 to 771.After updated Clover to v4334, I also update from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2.Everything  works ok.

mobo : EP45-UD3R

CPU  :  E5450

Ram  :  8g

GPU  : ATI 4850 512g

SSD  : ADATA 120g

• Like 1

A good deal of DSDT editing was necessary to get this machine to boot High Sierra but finally it works flawlessly, even sleep and wake!

You NEED to have the DSDT put in place for installation because otherwise macOS doesn't recognize the SATA ports.

Could you share original DSDT and patched DSDT as .dsl source in order to recompile using iasl and check patches introduced by yourself?

I've a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 and I need a reference, thanks.

Hello,I hv the same Motherboard(EP43-DS3L) and installed 10.13.2.But I just don't need the DSDT to boot it into the install screen.But after the installation,I just found that it can't shut down completely,which means that the USB mouse and keyboard or cooling fan r still working.So I am just wondering ur DSDT can fix this issue?Thanks in advance!!

Bootloader:Chameleon(Sierra 10.12.6) + Clover(High Sierra 10.13.2) + MBR

OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 + macOS Sierra 10.12.6 + macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9650 @3 GHz
Motherboard: GA P43T S3L
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 6G
RAM: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Sound:Realtek ALC 888
Network: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D

post-1231439-0-73953700-1513217098_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hello,I hv the same Motherboard(EP43-DS3L) and installed 10.13.2.But I just don't need the DSDT to boot it into the install screen.But after the installation,I just found that it can't shut down completely,which means that the USB mouse and keyboard or cooling fan r still working.So I am just wondering ur DSDT can fix this issue?Thanks in advance!!

Bootloader:Chameleon(Sierra 10.12.6) + Clover(High Sierra 10.13.2) + MBR

OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 + macOS Sierra 10.12.6 + macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9650 @3 GHz
Motherboard: GA P43T S3L
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 6G
RAM: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Sound:Realtek ALC 888
Network: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D

post ur DSDT here

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the Gigabyte EP45 UD3P everything working perfect in 10.13.3 except shutdown, fans still powered on. I plan on keeping all my hardware in my signature. This was one of my first PCs I started MacOS back in 2008/2009 with 10.4.9.

Have a look at this DSDT, especially the WAK section and apply the shutdown fix in Clover, just in case. 

And yes, I remember installing Tiger on my G31 board with a Pentium D on it. Back in the days people were complaining the whole time that they had to modify or change the Sleepenabler.kext for every system update. That was one big problem back then, imagine it would be that simple today  :rolleyes:

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

Have a look at this DSDT, especially the WAK section and apply the shutdown fix in Clover, just in case. 

And yes, I remember installing Tiger on my G31 board with a Pentium D on it. Back in the days people were complaining the whole time that they had to modify or change the Sleepenabler.kext for every system update. That was one big problem back then, imagine it would be that simple today  :rolleyes:

I still like the days we could modify our Info.plists manually but Clover and other things has changed all that.  Wake is fine here on both my Gigabyte EP45 UD3P and Asus Rampage Formula X38 chipset and both do have the shutdown fix built into the DSDT maybe shutdown fix has been modified since back in the days MaLd0n created all those DSDTs.  If I have shutdown fix already scripted in the DSDT can I add shutdown fix again in Clover no issues doing that?   The system does shutdown. the fans still turn so power remains.

Could be power management not implemented correctly, missing HPET or whatever. Best, you add your EFI folder so that one can have a look at it.

Well it may have been the one time because it shutting down now.  Have you ever had any latencies booting or booting to a certain point and never reaching the desktop?  Any issue with auto mounting your EFI?  I hope its not an issue with the EVGA GT210 or CLover v4293?   Do you have any drivers in your Driver64/32 or UEFI64 drivers even though we are not UEFI?

Do you have NvidiaFixup/Lilu running?

I have installed clover in ESP (EFI) not sure if that is where your EFI install is or not?

I will try another GFX like GT640 and GT710 both EVGA's.

Didn't know the GT210 was still supported in High Sierra, thought otherwise. Pictures showing where your boot halts would be helpful. :) And yes, my EFI folder is on the EFI partition and drivers are in place.

Worked perfect in Sierra up to last version, I would think it should still work in 10.13.x.  I'll test some more and get the screenshots when it happens again.   Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello! how are you?

Friends, I would be very grateful if you could share with me the complete EFI, with what tool do you create the bootable USB? or direct by console + clover v2?

I have 2 motherboards of you and I would like to rescue them installing High Sierra.

Hw:
Xeon E5450
GA-EP43T-S3L
8GB DDR3
Nvidia GT710 1GB

I have several new Hackintosh (UEFI), but old (Legacy) I have not been able to lift the installer, so I took from here, the BIOS + Files indications, I see the apple and the progress bar, but from there it does not move .

Thank you!

Hey, as far as I remember I used "Install Disk Creator" but you could use other tools as well. Install Clover 4297 in "legacy mode" (other versions may work of course but I had some problems with newer versions of Clover) and copy the provided config.plist and dsdt into the EFI folder. My config.plist uses the "-v" (verbose) command what makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can see what is happening during the boot process. 

On 5/1/2018 at 12:38 AM, macinsane said:

Hey, as far as I remember I used "Install Disk Creator" but you could use other tools as well. Install Clover 4297 in "legacy mode" (other versions may work of course but I had some problems with newer versions of Clover) and copy the provided config.plist and dsdt into the EFI folder. My config.plist uses the "-v" (verbose) command what makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can see what is happening during the boot process. 

Thanks!! I'll try what you tell me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 12:58 AM, macinsane said:

Yes, just put it in there 

Thank you for your answers in this thread!
I installed the Clover v.4297 on flash drive and put in folders your config and DSDT.
Booted from it and tried to start the installation of High Sierra 10.3.6.
But the installation stops on the line:
AppleIntelCPUPower

My configuration:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L, Xeon X5460, 4x2Gb DDR2, 2000Gb + 4000Gb SATA, GTX 660 2048 Mb
Maybe you'll be so kind, and tell me what's going wrong, what to look for?

osx.jpg

Edited by mailw