-- How to Upgrade the Kernel -NEW VERSION/UPDATED

Prasys

160 posts in this topic

Im sorry for being so dumb.)

I've already installed 10.4.8 using JaS combo update on 10.4.5 install (dont know which kernel there was) and now have Darwin 8.4.1 kernel.

I read all topics but still dont understand what i need (exept new brain:) to upgrade kernel. Would somebody be so kind to explain? Thank you.

Im sorry for being so dumb.)

I've already installed 10.4.8 using JaS combo update on 10.4.5 install (dont know which kernel there was) and now have Darwin 8.4.1 kernel.

I read all topics but still dont understand what i need (exept new brain:) to upgrade kernel. Would somebody be so kind to explain? Thank you.

The version of 10.4.8 that works with the old 8.4.1 kernel is incomplete. The kexts that come with 10.4.8 cannot be installed because they will not run under the old kernel.

In order to run the new kernel, you need to upgrade your version of 10.4.8 and then add the new kernel. Follow the 10.4.8 link in my signature for ways to upgrade to a full 10.4.8 and then you can use this live updater to install the new kernel.

Thanks Rammjet! You wrote "In order to run the new kernel, you need to upgrade your version of 10.4.8". But i still dont get which exactly method listed on that page fits my situation. Can you explain it please? Thank you very much for your attention)

Nearly any of them that don't involve the DVD ask you to start with an early version of OSX and then upgrade it using the Apple 10.4.8 update. Then some file switching takes place and the new kernel is added. Essentially what you need to do.

The eGWan patcher might be easiest for you. The official link was taken down, but look at the signature of the person who posted the method.

The Paulicat method is another popular one.

Probably all of them would get you there with slight modifications.

I unfortunately also deleted my kernel using the scripts out there. Seems that the link to the file latest.zip redirects to the homepage of www.semthex.com right now. I also do not have any backup of the old kernel (lesson learned :-) nor did the script seem to have backup'd the kernel in a mach_kernel.old etc. directory.

I can access my OS X HDD with MacDrive from XP so I understand I would need to copy a compiled version of the mach_kernel to the OS X root directory and then do chown & chmod 644 in Terminal from the install disc.

But where do I get a compiled Semthex Kernel when latest.zip is offline? On Semthex site I only can find the mirror downloads which, as I do understand, are not compiled versions.

By any chance can anyone PM me the latest compiled version? Thanks.

EDIT: Well, found out that it is distributed through IRC: Visit irc.macspeak.net with your favourite IRC client and go to channel #kernel and ask for it :unsure:

Edited by Nokman

hy!

i've installed the newest kernel - it already worked for one time! what a great thing....

but now i have a problem: my hackintosh went in sleep modus - i havent disabled energy saver. so i had to reset the computer.

since this time, my computer always restart at startup before it come to the grey background with the apple logo. i can start with the old kernel an i alredady reinstaled the newest semthex kernel with your script, but have still the same problem....

Who can help me????

thanx

triofour

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I Have a DVD OF

Jas Os 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 Beta V2

And I Installed It On

M.B :- Intel 102 ATI X200 Chip Set

C.P.U:- Intel (Celeron) 2.66GHz 256L2 LGA 64Bit 533FSB

Ram:- 512MB DDR2 (533)

Gra:- Intergreated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (32,64,128,256)MB Optional

Audio:- Build In

EtherNet:Bulit In

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1- I Have To Disable USB From Bios To Get The DVD Working With out Errors(booting)

2- I Have This Msg"Display Family Doesn't Mach"

I Installed C03 but I cant Get Into the OS ,it just hang on Apple Screen Of Loading

I dont Have any Idea how to copy the Driver in to the Directory

i installed TransMac But It just Identifed the Dvd

So I Installed Windows Xp On C:/ and Mac on D:/ and Drivers On E:/

But Windows Can't Open HFS+ Partition

Help Me Iam Stuck :unsure:

Send Me

mix_pixer@hotmail.com

Quictkime pro 7.1.3 is playing my AVI files too fast. VLC plays the same items without any problems. so what's wrong with my Quicktime ??.

Some posts sugested that's a 8.8.1 Kernel problem, so i tried to update mine. unfortunatlly Prasys kernel update script doesn't work for me:The system hangs with the grey multiligual error message saynig " you need to restart your.....bla bla bla"

modifying FSB in the system configuration doesn't work too.

So is it really a kernel problem ??

Any idea to fix this ??

I am runing "Jas 10.4.8 + PPF "on Intel 945 platform with GMA950 and SSE3 CPU.

Edited by 386dx

i tried this script (v3) but after that my system crashed and i restarted manually.

system successfully booted but holds on "Starting Mac OS X... " and my Mac OS X never Starts :thumbsup_anim:

i have Mac OS X 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 Beta2 From Demonoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

First off, a big shout-out of appreciation to all the helpful Guru's around these forums!

I wanted to know if this Kernel update script would apply to my Hackintosh setup or should I download the latest 10.4.8 DVD & start fresh?

My first install of OSX86 was the "Mac OS X 10.4.7 AMD/Intel (JaS) ISO Repack", which worked great. I then used a Delta update "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg" (161.8 MB; no longer on Demonoid) to upgrade to 10.4.8 and have applied all [Apple] software updates since. However, my kernel remains Darwin 8.4.1 and have not interfered with the system since (no patches, hacks, custom Kext's, etc).

Would this patch apply to me since I never used the official Apple 10.4.8, only JaS' previously available 10.4.7 > 10.4.8 delta? Page 1 of this thread mentions the JaS Combo Update to 10.4.8 not working with this latest kernel, but not specifically the short-lived Delta update I used....

Intel Celeron D (SSE3, No NX)

Intel 865G chipset

Edited by MacProCD310

• 2 weeks later...

When i try this script, it causes a panic/system crash each time.

i have a core2duo E6400 on a asrock conroe945G-DVI

my current kernel is:

gijs-schoutens-computer:~ Gijs$ uname -a

Darwin gijs-schoutens-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

i have never been able to use this script of yours...

can you please help? i would love to use the sleep function i've read about i other threads...

thanks

Ok, i found a trick somewhere on the forum that i should boot with " -legacy" to force 32bit mode. This works! so now i've updated through this script... but as Subzero1266 mentioned, it downgraded tot nov 27!! any ideas?

greetz

Edited by Gijs Schouten

so... what happened to the script? i used it and fix clock, fsb speed and a few things.. really good! and does the work alone the script oonly ask your admin pass great job!!!

a question.. i need to run it again to be "more" updated? or what,? where can i see the next updates availables? cheers!

Guardian