Natit new development version with ATI and nVidia dual screen

dm_webd

803 posts in this topic

Well I'm glad I found this topic. Here is my progress so far, I have a Sapphire x1900 xtx card which has the exact same ID as the x1900 cards that are supposedly working so well. the Uni installer beta does not work for me. I've also tried editing the key in single user mode and changing it from Sphyrna to Alopias wherever Sphyrna appeared in the x1900 key. Rebooted and got a garbled screen using VGA and nothing using DVI. So am I missing something here? Perhaps a clean install and install/edit the natit kext manually?

Hope someone else has made it farther then me.

Hey out there! :D

Bahooza...

The new version of Natit_Uni_1.0 is ready for testing!

Please give me a report in this thread and DONT give the link/file away!!

For me it worked, but still no DVI! (Any help here please :angel: )

It will only work with Kernel verison 8.8.1!!

(For: NVidia AND ATIX1x00 users!)

Note that it is in beta stage!

Right - well, heres what happened to me. It installed, and when it rebooted, I lost my mouse pointer, and the display was incorrectly dimensioned. Now I'm the first to admit that 1600x1024 is not a standard resolution, but looking at the display box, it looked like it had read the list of available resolutions back to front - for example, 800x600 was 600x800, and my 1600x1024 was 1024x1600. Now, my display will normally default to 1024x768, but it seemed to manage to display 768x1024. This did not make for comfortable viewing :) Anyway - I hope that gives some pointers to a possible bug.

Safe mode, ran the uninstaller and all was back to normal.

3DFusion 7600GS by the way - display was on the VGA port, nothing (detect displays failed) on the DVI port.

//R

I wrote and refined this last few days a little script I called (nu) for Natit_Utility. It is a simple and CLI centric bash script that will save those doing extensive Info.plist editing in Natit a lot of time. It will do backup, resotre, edit, and reeplacement of the Info.plist file inside Natit, and also repair permissions on key files as well as remove display preferences and reboot at the end.

This is NOT for "I don't know anything about the CLI or OSx86 or anything" newbie. It is more for "power users" doing several tests that could use a tool to make everything faster and easier. Let me know if you want something changed, or if you know how, change it yourself :).

natit_utility_01.zip

You need to try with only Svid, boot and see if you have anything, let everything load, then shut down and restart.

You should have video on 2nd boot :)

If I understood you right, I need to do a boot only with svideo (tv) attached and see if I get video, and then reboot and attach my LCD?

will try that.

EDIT>

Tried, got video on TV till loginwindow, then no signal.

<EDIT

While dm continues his work on Natit, I would like to share the plist I am using to get dual display support from Natit. It will work with the ATI Autodetect version, ATINDRV 4.5-4.7 (If I use 4.8, I get cloned image), IONDRVSupport 4.5 (couldnt get 4.8 to work with my x1600, blue screen), and all ATIRadeonX1000* from 4.8, with only the deviceid change in ATIRadeonX1000.kext

You should install it in Natit (could use my script, just rename this plist to natit_info.plist and place it in /backup/natit, considering you have run nu with write or edit once so it initializes). The problem I have with this dual display is that since the LVDS, EDID entry points to my VGA port (port0), I get blurry screen. My theory is that LVDS imposes a digital signal, that the VGA connection can't handle and thus I get the problem. Now, I also cannot put my CRTs (the one that is connected to the VGA port) EDID because I loose dual display. Like it checks and if the EDID belongs to an analog monitor, it won't work. Thus I use my LCDs EDID for the time being. That is easy to solve, by just getting me (or editing one, Im looking into that) an EDID from an LCD (digital) that does the rez/refresh I want from my CRT which would ideally be 1024x768@80hz.

If anyone wants to experiment with this plist, you are welcome to. Please report your findings. My theory would be that people with dual DVI shouldn't have problems since both ports are digital ... but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I copied the attached versions of Natit to the first post so it easier to find. ~bofors

dualx1600natit.zip

I've tried this against both 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 with a Mobility X1600. Both times I got the same result. I end up with my monitor connected to my external port showing black and purple vertical stripes for a few seconds and then black screen, my laptop screen goes directly to black screen (I suspect it just can't display whatever mode it flips into for a few seconds) this occurs after the apple with the spinning logo has finished. Anybody have any ideas for me?

I just got a GeForce 7900GS from Best Buy and stumbled into getting dual display to work. I thought it was already working for this card so I purchased it.

I don't know what made it work, so I'm giving my complete steps.

I did a fresh install of 10.4.8 by:

-- Install Jas 10.4.7

-- Install 10.4.8 combo update

-- removed AppleSMBIOS.kext from Extensions

-- copied semthex's AppleSMBIOS.kext to the Extensions

-- removed Extensions.kextcache

-- removed Extensions.mkext

-- copied latest semthex kenel to my system

-- rebooted

-- got disarb error and waited until the system rebooted

-- booted into system.

-- Manually installed the Natit.kext

-- rebooted

At this point, I had dual display; however the second monitor had the screen compressed and the mouse would disappear.

So, I

-- Got the EDID for both monitors and modified Natit.kext with the values:

ioreg -l w 0 | grep "EDID" (I used PlistEdit Pro)

-- removed the properties files:

rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

-- rebooted

Now it was spanning across both screens; however the second screen was at a lower resolution so I bumped it up and everything looked good.

I looked in the About this Mac and it shows both displays with their resolutions.

The only thing that's annoying is when the mac first switches to gui mode when booting is it only enables one monitor at a low resolution. If I wait about 20 seconds it pops back up and works normally.

One other note, I don't have LCD screens attached to the monitor and I don't know if this makes a difference too. I have DVI --> VGA converters on the video card.

Success! Just installed semthex kernel and now I just added Natit (Edited) (to my clean 10.4.8 install) and everything works like a charm :D.

Full QE/CI/DVI and dual screen (with and without mirror)!

Monitor sleep works, but system sleep doesn't. I get picture after wakeup, but it is frozen. (Don't relly care, my rig is not supposed to sleep :))

I only miss one thing, TV-OUT. Is there anyone who has any idea of how to get tv-out working? (Heard it is working on nVidia)

Guest bikedude880
Seems to be the case. X16XX's are a lost cause so far... I'm debating a 7600GT or 7900GS right now.

If some people running nvidia/ati cards could post whether they have dual screen working, it'd be appreciated by those of us that are in need of a new card.

Maybe start a new thread for that? Maybe someone could compile some sort of list...

I have dual screen working just fine (albeit one screen is a portable DVD player :P) PNY GeForce 7300 GS w/256MB onboard. Second display is through TV-OUT. Still waiting to test S-Video, Component, and DVI.

Hi guys,

Can you guys help me out and tell me what is the best package to install to get my Acer AL2216W (22 inches widescreen) working on my Saphire X1600Pro DVI port (i only have one display). I don't need the dual display feature.

To tell you the truth i read all the appropriate posts and i'm confused (ATIinject, Natit, Natit_ATIauto, ...). Your help would be very appreciated in getting me started.

Here is my hardware:

Video card: Saphire X1600 AGP (1 VGA port , 1 DVI port, 1 s-video port)

Monitor: Acer AL2216W (widescreen - 1680x1050)

OSX: JAS 10.4.8 DVD Reseed

P.S.: Right now my monitor is connected on my VGA port ... the only thing that is not working is the LCD Sleep. Does the LCD Sleep work when you get it to work on the DVI port ?

While dm continues his work on Natit, I would like to share the plist I am using to get dual display support from Natit. It will work with the ATI Autodetect version, ATINDRV 4.5-4.7 (If I use 4.8, I get cloned image), IONDRVSupport 4.5 (couldnt get 4.8 to work with my x1600, blue screen), and all ATIRadeonX1000* from 4.8, with only the deviceid change in ATIRadeonX1000.kext

You should install it in Natit (could use my script, just rename this plist to natit_info.plist and place it in /backup/natit, considering you have run nu with write or edit once so it initializes). The problem I have with this dual display is that since the LVDS, EDID entry points to my VGA port (port0), I get blurry screen. My theory is that LVDS imposes a digital signal, that the VGA connection can't handle and thus I get the problem. Now, I also cannot put my CRTs (the one that is connected to the VGA port) EDID because I loose dual display. Like it checks and if the EDID belongs to an analog monitor, it won't work. Thus I use my LCDs EDID for the time being. That is easy to solve, by just getting me (or editing one, Im looking into that) an EDID from an LCD (digital) that does the rez/refresh I want from my CRT which would ideally be 1024x768@80hz.

If anyone wants to experiment with this plist, you are welcome to. Please report your findings. My theory would be that people with dual DVI shouldn't have problems since both ports are digital ... but I could be wrong.

Tried it... Made no difference, my second dvi port still dies the second the loginwindow starts.

ALL RUNS !! ok!

QE/CI Rotate 1280x1024x32@75hz

just no DUAL screen only mirror. :-(

CPU: AMD64 3500 + SSE3

GPU: ATI X1600 PRO 256 PCI-e

use Natit AUTO! and all ATI, kext 10.4.7 !!

THSK!

So, this might be the wrong place to ask this, but is Natit source still being distributed? If so, where can I find it. Cause I had an idea about something unrelated to GFX, and I think Natit might offer some insights.

I only miss one thing, TV-OUT. Is there anyone who has any idea of how to get tv-out working? (Heard it is working on nVidia)

Most ATi cards that use Svid through AVIVO multi-jack will not show Svid when VGA is plugged in at the same time :)

I don't no if ppl already tried with just Svid, just a friendly reminder :)

Testing on Gigabyte x1650pro, 256 meg, Dual DVI connected to two DVI Dell Widescreens

with 10.4.8 Jas Reseed,

Nat auto select...

It is registered as a Radeon x1600 not a x16050...

Device ID is 0x71c6

It boots up with GUI on dual displays... then goes into loginwindow and the secondary display goes black...

On the first display I get full support Rotation etc...

The second display is all black and is listed as No Display Connected in System Profiler...

What should I do to make the 2nd display work?

Where else can I look to see the Nat boot up log...