Windows Vista RTM

Menno

20 posts in this topic

I want to test the rtm release on my macbook, but when choosing the partition it gives a warning with:

"This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

After clicking next, it gives another warning with: "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets itscriteria for installation"

Then I can't continue installation :)

Anyone know what to do

// Btw this is with WinBeta's AIO dvd release and the latest bootcamp 1.1.2

It works fine for me. I had to reset my PR-RAM, but that always happens. Here is the default screenshot of Windows Vista RTM. The Aero blue is a little to Blue by default.

EDIT: I forgot to say there is no sound. I am on a MacBook Pro, 1st Gen. I also have not installed the Boot Camp drivers. On RC2, they installed, but to some extent.

EDIT 2: I did not have to do anything. It partitioned and installed without an issue.

EDIT 3: Also, even if not plugged in, it shows I am plugged in and are losing power.

Over the 3 days that I have had it installed, it has never said that I need a product key.

Capture.JPG

I've managed to get Vista into 32bit color by disabling the PCI-E x16 listing in the device manager. But now "Display Adapter" is no longer listed in the Device Manager at all and Vista is using something called "VGASave" as the display driver. Is there anyone out there fighting with this same issue?

Well I have a Mac Pro .... But after being on the side of the fence that fights issues and trying to fix them.I am going to hang back for a bit and see what others come up.

After these 10 months without windows I am in no rush,this was more of something to do just to do it.

After trying for another 4 hours or so, I agree with both JAS and GBK. Sitting and waiting for the RTM drivers from Nvidia and or Bootcamp support for Vista sounds like the best way to go.

But just as an FYI, I'm pretty sure that two mainboard devices on the Mac Pro (a Base Device and one unknown in the Vista Device manager) are the cause of my display woes...and trying to figure out which driver belongs with either is damn near impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about everything works in Vista RTM for me. Of course the machine runs hotter in Vista but thats typical for all macs when in windows.

Thank god I submitted bug reports while on the Vista beta. Now I have a nice free copy from em.

PS: To anyone considering 64 bit Vista though...don't bother. There really aren't any drivers out there for Vista x64 and alot of programs won't agree with it (same issues generally applied to XP x64 too). Maybe in a few years or if Apple releases an x64 version of bootcamp... :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, installed vista rtm on new macbook c2d. But now I can't seem to get back into OS X....hmmm. ut yes, after installing the apple driver cd, and connecting to the net for windows to get drivers, everything but ctrl-click is working for me. Any ideas on how to force it not to go to the windows side?Thanks.

Dary23

• 2 weeks later...