2 replies to this topic

fraz7

fraz7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

I thought I'd post this here to ask more about installations of Windows or ( even OS X) but lets keep it Windows.

Two years back 1st PC build - Asus Z97-AR motherboard with Haswell CPU.

One thing I've worked out is that I can take a HDD installation out and put another HDD in and do another installation, so there could be a Windows 7 install and a Windows 10 install too or even for an installation of OS X

When someone does an installation on say the Asus Z97 motherboard above, is it possible to take the HDD out and put it into another chassis with a different motherboard in, would this work?

I've not tried this but ask from the more exprerienced builders what would happen?

Would it cause major problems?

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 185 posts

Hello. I've installed dozens of system on other machine's HD plugged into my HP Z400 via USB or eSATA and never had problems. The only thing I had to do was put the appropriate DSDT (when needed) and make some changes in Clover config.plist (e.g. CPU type, graphic card injection, Mac type) in the destination HD. 

fraz7

fraz7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

I'll have to try this sometime

The reason why I asked was in case there were records of the hardware eg motheboard on the HDD install that would prevent the HDD from working in another motherboard.

So, if and when I get an installation working correctly I could copy the entire disk externally and use in AN other machine -  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy