Motherboard brand query

fraz7

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Are Gigabyte motherboards still the best / easiest to work with regarding a Hackintosh?

Bottom line is I'll have a spare Intel Pentium 1151 CPU 4560 / 4620 to do a budget build with - This won't be built any time soon but I need to plan which board I'll go with when the time comes.

I do like some of the AsRock boards and an H270 M board could be good for example but if it is true Gigabyte boards will prove to be easier to get going then this could influence my decision as long as i can relate to a particular board enough.

I could go with a B chipset or a Z270 / Z170 for this build depending on the cost.

I'm not asking you to choose a board for me but would like to know if Gigabyte boards are more "reliable" with the chipsets mentioned - Thanks

If your going to use IGPU or CPU graphics Gigabyte and MSI have easy to set bios for this. Asus, and Asrock work as well but may have different bios layouts and terminology.

Bottom line is if you like and are familar with a certain brand you can get it to work. I have a pentium G3258 in a H97 MSI PC Mate board it has never failed me and never glitches. My i5 6500 was in a Gigabyte Z170 gaming 5 but it lasted only a year and now I have to send it back. I picked up an open box MSI H170 PC Mate for $50 US (with 2 yr extended warranty) and it runs as good as the Z170 for less than half the cost. I will probably get a G4260 eventually and put it in the PC Mate once the Gigabyte board comes back.

Hi Gigamaxx,

When you say send a board back, you mean RMA, repair?

I've decided to go MSI Z270 PC Mate.  You mentioned open box, I got 2 x MSI X79A-GD45 a few years back open box, anyway back to Z270 PC Mate, this should go well with either the 4560 or 4620 Pentium as a reasonably potent CPU for daily use / office use / but not gaming -  :)