Is macOS High Sierra 4K UHD compatible

Frank Nitty

7 posts in this topic

I took the plunge and purchased a 4K UHD TV to use as a secondary monitor. However, after I connected my HDMI cable, started my system, selected the 10.13.0 partition from the Clover boot menu, and waited for the Apple logo status bar to load, I get a "No signal" error. What gives? Anybody with prior knowledge of this issue and/or could give me some useful advice to move forward would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello. Is the UHD 4K monitor the only screen connected? Did you check that HDMI output with another monitor?

BTW you said your HS partition is the 10.13.0 You should update to the newer 10.13.1 build 17B48

Yes, and it's not a monitor but a TV. I have been having problems updating to 10.13.1. Each time I run the update and it goes through the required restart, 'About this Mac' shows 10.13 only as if nothing happened.

I use a UHD display via DP without any issue, from 10.9 to 10.13.

Not all graphic cards are supporting 4k via HDMI. Some HDMI cables are not 4k compatible.

The pixel-patch might help.

I'm referring to rig #1 in my sig which uses a GTX 1070. My UHD TV has no DP ports, only HDMI. I just bought a HDMI 2.0 cable so I'll try it out later and see if that does the trick.

Just to make sure did you pick the right input source on your TV settings?

Based on the OP keep in mind that if I didn't have it on the right input then how would I have seen the Clover booatloader menu and subsequent Apple logo with loading bar that follows.

I use a Samsung 4k TV as my main monitor. It is connected through DP -> to HDMI 2.0 convertor from Club3D, works great and outputs 4k @ 60hz.

That just might work for me. What version did you get? Just saw it online for $30.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So I purchased the following adapter from Monoprice here (half the price of the Club3D brand Denicio suggested) and the final result is: it works like a charm. Able see/run macOS 10.13.1 in 4K on my GTX 1070 and it looks amazing w/ all the screen real estate.

Sfc7Tdq.jpgFH8wQ0b.jpg

• Like 1