Bootloader Clover Issue Bug Feature Request

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Local Moderators
  • 6,654 posts

Any way to make Clover boot into macOS installer when update? When I click update & restart on App Store, Clover should boot into "macOS installer volume name" if Clover found it, if not Clover should continue boot into "macOS system volume name". That way make Clover Bootloader look like a real mac and more easier to set update

Already done.

What Clover version you mean?

@grayen

I had an experience to boot macOS and Windows 7 Pro 64bit UEFI on GPT formatted disk on legacy-BIOS computer with Core2Duo CPU by Clover. It is possible as you said. I don't know if Windows 10 required something more.

grayen

grayen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@Slice It is not that I have trouble booting Windows 10 with Clover, it is that I am unable to get Clover to show in the first place. I figure that I have to enable or disable some BIOS setting on my desktop, since the same setup works on my laptop.

SavageAUS

SavageAUS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

@Slice It is not that I have trouble booting Windows 10 with Clover, it is that I am unable to get Clover to show in the first place. I figure that I have to enable or disable some BIOS setting on my desktop, since the same setup works on my laptop.

Sounds like the boot order needs changing. If clover is installed properly you should be able to set that drive as first option in bios.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

grayen

grayen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@SavageAUS I did change the boot order after installing clover and used the "select boot device" popup at startup to boot into my USB stick, so I do not see how that could be the issue, but it was a good suggestion. I have searched quite a bit before posting here, but I have not found anything worthwhile to help me fix it, hence me posting here. I did found two people with the same hardware configuration with regards to the CPU and MB, so it should work in theory:

http://www.insanelym...tx480i7-920267/

http://www.insanelym...cy-triple-boot/

I am now going to try a preconfigured boot USB stick, to see if clover boots from there on my desktop:

https://www.aioboot.com/en/features/

grayen

grayen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I tried AIO Boot, but when I run Clover from it, I get the same as before. I did however now notice a 7 showing up after about 2 seconds, which I assume is Clover telling me that it is using boot7 (Clover 64-bit with BiosBlockIO driver that works with any controller supported by the BIOS). However it just shows me the underscore in the top, no forced reboot, but I rebooted it myself after waiting a few minutes. I also tried pressing 6 at this two seconds pause, because it is stated that it will then boot in a different 64-bit boot loader, but I can press 6 however many times I want, it will still show me the 7 at the end of the 2 second interval.

piiggggg

piiggggg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Already done.

What Clover version you mean?

@grayen

I had an experience to boot macOS and Windows 7 Pro 64bit UEFI on GPT formatted disk on legacy-BIOS computer with Core2Duo CPU by Clover. It is possible as you said. I don't know if Windows 10 required something more.

I mean make Clover boot like BIOS, if Clover can't find macOS installer to update. It'll boot into macOS partition, it'll make update easier. Also, I'm using the latest.

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Local Moderators
  • 6,654 posts

Clover can find macOS installer to update. Thousands users do update this way.

Show your preboot.log where can we look on all partitions and loaders.

STATIC CHAR16 *OSXInstallerPaths[] = {
  L"\\Mac OS X Install Data\\boot.efi",
  L"\\macOS Install Data\\boot.efi",
  L"\\macOS Install Data\\Locked Files\\Boot Files\\boot.efi",
  L"\\OS X Install Data\\boot.efi",
  L"\\.IABootFiles\\boot.efi"
};

piiggggg

piiggggg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Clover can find macOS installer to update. Thousands users do update this way.

Show your preboot.log where can we look on all partitions and loaders.

STATIC CHAR16 *OSXInstallerPaths[] = {
  L"\\Mac OS X Install Data\\boot.efi",
  L"\\macOS Install Data\\boot.efi",
  L"\\macOS Install Data\\Locked Files\\Boot Files\\boot.efi",
  L"\\OS X Install Data\\boot.efi",
  L"\\.IABootFiles\\boot.efi"
};

No, I mean we have an option to set default boot volume right? But it only boots into 1 volume, sometimes I need to update macOS. App Store will create another volume of macOS Install or something, anyway I can make Clover boot into macOS install first like BIOS. If Clover can't find macOS install then it'll boot into second default boot volume like macOS system

bronxteck

bronxteck

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

slice I think what he wants is that after an apple update clover use boot next to automatically finish the os update install instead of having to manually select the updater volume from clover gui

piiggggg

piiggggg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

slice I think what he wants is that after an apple update clover use boot next to automatically finish the os update install instead of having to manually select the updater volume from clover gui

You are right, that way I can set App Store to update macOS automatically

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Local Moderators
  • 6,654 posts

I started macOS as usual then I see update in AppStore and click OK. 

macOS loads update, begins it and then restarted into "macOS install". 

It is already happens.

I can't set "BootNext" variable because Clover is not working during this process.

piiggggg

piiggggg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I started macOS as usual then I see update in AppStore and click OK. 

macOS loads update, begins it and then restarted into "macOS install". 

It is already happens.

I can't set "BootNext" variable because Clover is not working during this process.

I mean, we have Default Boot Volume to help Clover to boot into "that partition" when you Clover starting. I set it to my macOS volume, it works perfectly but when I try to update to some macOS version. App Store will create a volume name "macOS install" right, so what I asking for is can you make more option like Default Boot Volume 2, 3,... If Clover can't find the first Default Boot Volume 1, it'll boot into Default Boot Volume 2. It'll make we update macOS easier

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Local Moderators
  • 6,654 posts

OK, I understand.

I have DefaultBootVolume=LastBootedVolume. As far as I remember it automatically switched to update.

piiggggg

piiggggg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

OK, I understand.

I have DefaultBootVolume=LastBootedVolume. As far as I remember it automatically switched to update.

But it didn't switch back to my macOS partition. If I have more option, Clover will switch to update when I reboot from App Store. Or if Clover can't find that update partition, it'll switch back to my macOS partition. That's simple

Sherlocks

Sherlocks

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,635 posts
My case, Single SSD
High Sierra Vol name = Macintosh HD
DefaultBootVolume = Macintosh HD in config
Timeout 3 in config

Update from appstore, clover automatically enter high sierra installer(macOS install Macintosh HD). After install update, there is no installer in GUI, and enter Macintosh HD.

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

piiggggg

piiggggg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

My case, Single SSD
High Sierra Vol name = Macintosh HD
DefaultBootVolume = Macintosh HD in config
Timeout 3 in config

Update from appstore, clover automatically enter high sierra installer(macOS install Macintosh HD). After install update, there is no installer in GUI, and enter Macintosh HD.

Mine too

1 SSD, macOS High Sierra vol name = macOS (same with DefaultBootVolume)

Timeout = 5

Clover still boot into macOS even Clover found macOS install when I try to update

Sherlocks

Sherlocks

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,635 posts

Mine too
1 SSD, macOS High Sierra vol name = macOS (same with DefaultBootVolume)
Timeout = 5
Clover still boot into macOS even Clover found macOS install when I try to update

Strange. In my case. There is no problem that i mentioned above.

On my laptop, i can't use lastvolumename option. So i selected mac partition name for defaultvolumename.

bronxteck

bronxteck

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

i have same issue on haswell laptop 1ssd with win10/10.13.x clover timeout does not work config set to 5sec but at boot clover sits there forever until i manually chose os. works fine on my other machines though. it has always happened on this machine so it does not bother me any longer LOL.

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Local Moderators
  • 6,654 posts

Timeout is not working if entry to boot is undefined.

truemac

truemac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

don't use DefaultBootVolume and set IgnoreNVRAMBoot to NO working fine with Native NVRAM maybe its work with EmuNVRAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy