after 10.3.1 update, I can only boot if I start first from the recovery partition, and then reboot.

lalya

9 posts in this topic

Yesterday I tried a direct update from 10.13 to 10.13.1, everything was fine after installation, but at the first reboot, I was stuck in boot loop.

To solve I have tried to update Clover to latest release, which was a few hours ago - Nothing.
I have tried various different fakesmc kext versions - Nothing.
Deleted custom DSDT.aml from ACPI clover folder - Nothing.
Deleted extra kexts in "other" folder - Nothing.
Disabled NVIDIA driver - Nothing.

Used utility to clear NVRAM, cache, fix permissions, etc...  - Nothing.

What is really strange, I noticed that if I first boot from recovery partition, and then I select my macos 10.13.1 startup disk, when I try to boot again normally, it goes all fine!
If i then reboot again from HS, it is and will be stuck again! So to access my 10.13.1 system I have again to boot first into the recovery partition, and then reboot again.

Anyone have a clue? It seems that when you boot from recovery partition, it does some operation over files/cache or something else... that will allow me to boot normally, but only for one time.

What should I do to isolate the problem? Please help me.

Hi

Maybe it is not related to your issue but may I ask if you're using Lilu.kext? If yes, then be sure to have the last release (1.2.1), the previous version seems causing some KP's under 10.13.1 and 10.13.2 betas. 

Cordially

fantomas1

• Like 1

Hi fantomas, thanks for your reply but... I have never used lilu.kext

I have even tried to reboot without any kext other than fakesmc.kext but still nothing............... :(

I don't know what to do anymore. Can you point me to how can I recover a boot log file to see the KP stuck messages and what happens?

They are scrolling so fast that I can't even make a photo! I have access to the MAC partition from a dual boot Windows installation.

Go to /Utilties/Console.app

or

Open Terminal and run

sudo dmesg

This will display system messages from the last startup until now (you'll find the startup messages at the top of the output). You may try

sudo dmesg | more

this will output those messages page by page.

Or

In Finder, Go to the folder

/private/var/log

I omitted - You can generate boot.log file with Clover Configurator.

Well, at the end I solved the problem by installing 10.13.1 again from the beginning, but this time after clearing partitions, and not anymore an "update on the fly".

Unfortunately... with upgrades, it's always a lottery... it may go well or not. Lesson learnt :P That problem was too tricky to be solved.

• Like 3

I've been having a similar problem!  Boot loop, but i found if i ran the 10.13.1 Combo Update on that installation from another installation, it would work again. for a while. and then not terribly long after, it would start happening again. 

Huge pain in the ass having to reinstall combo update form another SSD just to get it working every time. 

Lalya,

when you updated, did you use the Combo Updater? or through App Store? I may have originally updated through App Store, however, I'm not sure if that matters so much. 

but damn i would love to fix this without having to reinstall everything..