"The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged" on UPDATING Mac OS

bodich

15 posts in this topic

Hi. First of all I've read topic where Frank Nitty tried to install Mac OS from USB flash drive in this thread Thread. I have another situation.

So, first thing that happened is I had the same error message when updated my hackintosh from 10.12 to 10.13 (from AppStore as always). But I've solved it by changing ProductName from 14,1 to 18,1 in SMBIOS section of config.plist

Now I am trying to update from 10.13 to 10.13.1 and 18,1 does not help now. I get error "The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged" every time after files copying, and rebooting by installer. I've tried next ideas already:

• run the terminal command sudo NVRAM -c to reset my NVRAM before installing/upgrading High Sierra.
  •  
  • Try Clover r4220+ (I have 4268) and remove FirmwareFeatures/FirmwareFeaturesMask/PlatformFeature and BIOS version/release date/Board-ID data from config.plist/SMBIOS to allow Clover to inject up to date values.
  •  
  • Update to @Slice's latest FakeSMC v3.50.
  •  
  • And also unplugged another drives with EFI from motherboard

So, I cannot understand what I can do now, I think I've tried everything I could find on forums. Please help me to solve this. Thank you!

acYa.jpg

I'm having the same issue when attempting the update from 10.13 to 10.13.1 and no matter what I do (unplug all other drives, clear nvram, remove EmuVariableUefi-64, clear FirmwareFeatures/FirmwareFeaturesMask/PlatformFeature/BIOS Version/Release Date/Board-ID/etc. Clover SMBIOS, redo those SMBIOS Clover settings, redownload the actual update, do a clean Clover install with default settings, update all kexts, remove all kexts except Slice's FakeSMC, etc.) it doesn't work.

I have a feeling re-downloading the full 5.2 GB High Sierra install and reinstalling macOS would work (since that's what I had to do a month ago when the supplemental update came out because this SAME thing happened), but that's too much of a PITA to deal with when there's an update and I don't have a very fast connection to begin with to keep redownloading and recreating my install USB drive with every little update.

Anyone with any other ideas to get this actually working? High Sierra has been a total pain since day one, IMO.

My usb installers don't work with HS, always a kernel panic or the same error as you both have had.

I installed HS on a separate drive while running Sierra, then installed HS from that drive to my SSD that contained Sierra just to get HS installed.

Trying to update is even worse, after rebooting to complete the update everything seems normal while booting though very slow, seems to hang around 90% of the loading bar I did see the mouse pointer once for a brief moment, made a fresh usb installer thinking I should just try installing over 10.13 which gives nothing but kernel panics after loading the recovery environment.

This has been the most PITA install.

I have recently updated to 10.13.1 and saw the screen in the first post along the way.

The first thing I did was to download 10.13.1 update from the app store. Upon rebooting I saw what looked to be a apfs error in verbose. It then booted into 10.13. I downloaded another apfs.efi, installed in Clover, and rebooted. The upgrade resumed but stopped at screen in first post. I then updated apfs.efi in my USB installer, booted into 10.13 on SSD, and downloaded 10.13.1 again from app store. This time, upon reboot, the update to 10.13.1 continued with no issue.

Using Clover configurator, make sure to select the correct SMBIOS and this should add the FF and FFM. I would not leave those blank... Then, in ACPI, you might have to activate FixHeaders_20000000; it's in the 2nd ACPI patch tab.

For the rest, well it had become too easy these last few years... Ain't it a little pleasing to meet a challenge again?

Yea it is entertaining lol

What do you mean FF and FFM?

I'll try FixHeaders_20000000.

FF - Firmware Features

FFM - Firmware Features Mask

Mine didn't create any previously, but did when I generated a new config, I did check FixHeaders_20000000.

Still hung for over 2 hours. right at the end of the loading.

Delete MacOS Install folder from root and redownload the update from MAS.

What is the name of the folder, I don't see it?

Did this in terminal so I could see hidden folders.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

That doesn't help either, actually. In my case all my kexts are already in the Other folder. Besides if you're running r4293 or above that 10.13 kext issue's thankfully been fixed.

@bodich you might actually have to download the full, updated macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 install off the Store and creating a new USB install drive and reinstalling macOS. That's what I had to do to get it to update to 10.13.1. It's a PITA and none of the suggestions here or in the other topic helped, sadly.

That doesn't help either, actually. In my case all my kexts are already in the Other folder. Besides if you're running r4293 or above that 10.13 kext issue's thankfully been fixed.

@bodich you might actually have to download the full, updated macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 install off the Store and creating a new USB install drive and reinstalling macOS. That's what I had to do to get it to update to 10.13.1. It's a PITA and none of the suggestions here or in the other topic helped, sadly.

That's exactly what I did, but I installed over 10.13 and all seems fine except making a FaceTime call using my iPhone... will figure that out later and/or run the tool MaLd0n provides/makes Olarila.command and see if that fixes it again.

Hey guys! I've solved the problem. I watched logs on that screen with error and found that installation file was created -720xx or so milliseconds ago. So I checked BIOS settings... My {censored} z87-a motherboard was freezing the time, I have this trouble since I've bought it. BIOS freezes time randomly when it want. After rebooting it mostly stay on last point when I've set it manually.

This time I went to BIOS every reboot during installation and had manually set time to current time. And installation worked well with all 4 hard drives plugged in, with old config.plist in Clover etc. Thank you all for help.  :thumbsup_anim:

You might want to check the motherboard's battery.

In my case, I know my motherboard time is wrong, but I only use and force local time with my OSes. If I change and fix the motherboard's time, my Linux installs start complaining with verbose boot messages about superblocks being ahead in the future, so I leave the motherboard time wrong to prevent that. But I don't see how that could affect Mac since I force local time use with it. Perhaps that's what causes this? Not sure. If updates fail with 10.13.2 again I'll look at the logs.

You might want to check the motherboard's battery.

In my case, I know my motherboard time is wrong, but I only use and force local time with my OSes. If I change and fix the motherboard's time, my Linux installs start complaining with verbose boot messages about superblocks being ahead in the future, so I leave the motherboard time wrong to prevent that. But I don't see how that could affect Mac since I force local time use with it. Perhaps that's what causes this? Not sure. If updates fail with 10.13.2 again I'll look at the logs.

Battery is ok. I have searched in google, it’s known problem of z87 motherboards. Nobody knows how to fix it))) if your time is wrong but it’s in future, installation should go well I think. But my wrong time is in past, so looks like Mac OS think that’s impossible that installation package was downloaded in future and show error))