REAL MacBook Pro - PC Express card kexts for Sierra?

buttcrap

1 post in this topic

I have a 2008 Core 2 Duo Penryn Unibody MacBook Pro. The latest software it officially supports is El Capitan, but there's no real technical reason it can't run Sierra, and there's a simple patch utility that will allow the install on older Macs like mine that aren't officially supported but have the right CPU architecture.

Now, the problem is that my PC Express slot stops working on Sierra - I'm guessing the kexts aren't included because no real Mac that can "officially" run Sierra has these old ports.

I bought this Mac used & it came with a PC Express WiFi module because the internal wireless is broken (opening up it looks like the previous owner physically tore the connector pins out of the motherboard somehow) and it's pretty vital for me that I have WiFi.

I would never care about a PC Express card otherwise & I doubt that many more people have been in this exact situation. How can I do to track down what kext / services are using the PC Express card so that I can try to get them working on Sierra?