Windows 98 on Boot Camp?

Lostgame

21 posts in this topic

because 98 is slimmed down xp the reason why it was "slow" is the hardware.

.... no.... xp has the nt kernal (previously os/2) and windows 98 has the 9x kernal.... its just windows 95 with the rollups and usb support and pnp.... and 95 is just dos with a gui.... so not at all.... and you can install it no problems, but you wont have any drivers, at all....

Well. It might present some trouble on a 64 bit mac. But, if you have a 32bit mac, why not try it?

There are no 64-bit Macs. It's my impression that the new Intel chips are 32-bit cores with 64-bit address extensions. If they were 64-bit only then a lot of software would not run.

This is why the 32-bit version of Windows runs on them, so Windows 98 is an option. But you will have a crippled system with 8-bit color at 640x480 if it boots at all. It's all about the missing drivers.

No, no, no. Windows 98 cannot run in Boot Camp. Windows 98 requires A20 support and Apple's CSM has this disabled for security reasons (this is just one reason of many as to why Macs are more secure than PCs).

I really don't see ME getting past that either... true it isn't dependent on command.com but it still taps A20.

Win 2000 Works awesome on my Dad's P-II 333 MHz with 192 MB RAM.

Dont Laugh, its the only comp I know of that has worked for 7 years without any problems whatsoever.

If you want a "slimed down" xp, try installing windows 2000 pro. Basically xp with the classic theme.

That really doesn't hold true anymore. Windows 2000 has exited Mainstream Support which means only Security Updates will be provided. Anything that is broken in Win2000 won't be fixed. That means no IE7, no Windows Defender, no .Net Framework 3.0, and no DX10. In short, a lot of software that is about to be released (or has been just released) isn't going to work on Windows 2000.

if you really want to run Win98 on an intel mac, you need to have your head examined.

XP will run plenty fast on ANY intel mac.

if you're desperate to run some really old games which wont work in XP, why not try dosbox? That way you dont even need to install windows (as there's an OS X build).

• 6 months later...
That really doesn't hold true anymore. Windows 2000 has exited Mainstream Support which means only Security Updates will be provided. Anything that is broken in Win2000 won't be fixed. That means no IE7, no Windows Defender

For the record windows defender runs fine on windows 2000 you just have to modify the installer so it doesn't refuse to install.

True, however, I don't suggest it. The main reason being is that definition updates may be unreliable because of bugs in Windows 2000's Windows Installer. Microsoft has only patched those updates in XP.

Personally, I would probably still use it... but I've also migrated away from 2000 completely (either to XP or Windows Server 2003/Home Server).