[Poll] Are you an "American"?

bofors

Are you an "American"?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an "American"?

• Yes
    • No

120 posts in this topic

I live in the United States, if that's what you're asking.

But I dont really ascribe to the American lifestyle. I'm not consumption-oriented. Or much of a Capitalist. I'm kind of a leftist Pat Buchanan. A pragmatist or Technocrat.

I said no but see I live in Canada so pending on what you mean....but the way your wording it.... the answer is no;)... I live in north america if anything but even then I am not american;P I'm Canadian if you don't like it then I'll teach you what its all a boot;)

I guess there are a lot of non-americans living in the united states. Though I dont understand why anyone would want to move to the US if they dont want to be an american. For work maybe.

So, I guess it really depends on how you define "American".

So do lots of people who are not "Americans", primarily Mexicans. Likewise, there are so-called "ex-patriot" Americans who live aboard.

That's expatriate, as in living outside their country (patria = greek for country). Unless you are saying that any American that leaves their country is no longer a patriot; the treacherous blackguard :D

I guess there are a lot of non-americans living in the united states. Though I dont understand why anyone would want to move to the US if they dont want to be an american. For work maybe.

So, I guess it really depends on how you define "American".

It all has to do with trust and governments..... well reasons to not want to be considered american/canadian/brazillian/yomomish/ect...

here in Canada anyway around the time in the states they started sending back Mexicans to Mexico who were living "illegally"..... they did same here but with Portuguese.... now my dad has always been one of those people who was kinda anti-gov/open minded..... comunism was illegal in portugal and my dad was packed with material from pro comunists... not cause he was comunist but rather cause he didn't want to believe what the majority or the gov told em he wanted to decide....... and so.....

reason on most part why people wouldn't not want to be considered *insert title here* is cause of trust

-for the portuguese its cause they dunno if they will get treated like mexicans or worse

-for the comunists was cause they were looked at oddly

-for the first nations its cause they don't trust the gov cause they haven't kept their word

-avoid drafts to war, monitory things like going to army at age 18(if associated)

and in all cases if you listen there are valid reasons..... some more/better then others:)... but on the most part is trust, and very rarely its cause of the money or taxes

free ? are you kidding?

Est. 1776...Let Freedom Ring

Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for ALL

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand

Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land

Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

freedom is relative.

------------------------------------------

i'm an American, no quotes neccesary. none of my Mexican, Brazilian, or Canadian friends call themselves American,

and they aren't confused about what is meant by the title.

there is no arrogance in using that title for oneself. if you are born in the U.S., it's simply what you are brought up

calling yourself.

I'm proud to have two passports.... for Senegal and Germany. I don't have any prob wih the USA, I support Bush and like the Republicans - moreover I admire the US for their Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Nowhere else you can find such a freedom - yes, I said freedom. If you compare it with other countries you will come to this conclusion.

But I don't want the US citizenship because I would have to give another one up for it - only if I can hold three citizenships I would have an US passport.

That's expatriate, as in living outside their country (patria = greek for country). Unless you are saying that any American that leaves their country is no longer a patriot; the treacherous blackguard :)

Thanks, that makes more sense. I found "ex-patriot" to be an annoying way to described Americans living abroad, now I know better.

freedom is relative.

"Freedom is Slavery"

300px1984socialclassesgj2.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

i'm an American, no quotes neccesary. none of my Mexican, Brazilian, or Canadian friends call themselves American,

and they aren't confused about what is meant by the title.

there is no arrogance in using that title for oneself. if you are born in the U.S., it's simply what you are brought up

calling yourself.

Yet there seems to be some confusion here.