macOS Unlocker 2.1 for VMware Workstation 11/12/14, Player 7/12/14, Fusion 7/8/10

Donk

100 posts in this topic

As I said earlier this year, I am retiring from maintaining the unlocker after 10 years now that this version has been released. I have 2 volunteers willing to take it on for the future and we will announce who they are when we are ready.

Before this happens I want to point out a few things about the unlocker that newer members may not know about and where to look if they have problems.

1. The unlocker does not modify any code in the executables. It only patches data tables for the virtual SMC (vmware-vmx to run VMs) and the Guest Host Tables (vmwarebase to show macOS in the OS selector).

2. Issues with guest resolution and keyboards/mice etc. will be down to VMware tools. It may need them to be downgraded to a previous version if issues are found with the latest ones. Issues like resolution also occur with unpatched VMware Fusion on Apple hardware, and so it is worth looking on the VMware forums as well for a solution.

3. Kernel panics during macOS guest startup are usually down to 3 possible causes:

• Running on an AMD CPU which is not natively supported by Apple macOS and requires a modified XNU kernel.
  • Installation media incorrectly built from the downloaded installation app.
  • 3rd party macOS "distros" which quite often have KEXTs and settings that are not VMware friendly

4. Installation issues for unlocker have mainly been due to certain AV products protecting the VMware folders. I know that McAfee Host Intrusion Protection can cause the installation to fail, so disable them when running install/uninstall. Also make sure VMware is not running during installation.

5. Issues where macOS guests do not work after a VMware upgrade. This will be due to the patched executables being overwritten during the upgrade process. Make sure you re-run the installer.

I will still be lurking around on the forums but not working on this topic. I need a break and some new challenges.

Thanks to all those who have helped over the years with the different incarnations of code to make macOS on VMware happen. You know who you are and I could not have done it without those who helped answer questions, donates code patches and tried out early versions.

Dave (Donk)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

As I said earlier this year, I am retiring from maintaining the unlocker after 10 years now that this version has been released. I have 2 volunteers willing to take it on for the future and we will announce who they are when we are ready.

I will still be lurking around on the forums but not working on this topic. I need a break and some new challenges.

Dave (Donk)

Thanks for all your work. I have benefited immensely from unlocker and had been lurking around here for the past 4 years...but wanted to say thank you as you hang up the hat. I am hoping someone else might have the expertise to work on the ESXi 6.5 issues with unlocker. I haven't tried it yet but am nervous to try it - but it seems like a mixed bag at the moment...some are reporting success, while others have reported all their VMs, even non-Mac OS ones, freezing. I don't wish to go back to ESXi 6.0 just for this...so hopefully someone will find a solution.

Regardless Dave, your work is deeply appreciated. Good luck with your new endeavors.

• Like 1

First: Thank you Dave for your great work over the years.

I have a problem on ESXI with the permissions.

After chmod on the esxi-install.sh (is green in the directory) i cannot execute the file.

It shows the error "-sh: ./: Permission denied

Any ideas ?

How did you create the ISO? Panics ae usually due to incorrect conversions. Or do you have an AMD CPU which is not natively supported by macOS.

I have a I7-7700k was "the {censored}" 3-4 Weeks ago until Intel released the I7-8xxx.

Everything works with 10.12.x and VM 12.

I can also install 10.13 in VM 12.

10.12 / 13 crashes in VM 14.

The script I used:

hdiutil create -o /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -size 5130m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
hdiutil attach /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build
mv /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra
hdiutil convert ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso
mv ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso

I have a I7-7700k was "the {censored}" 3-4 Weeks ago until Intel released the I7-8xxx.

The script I used:

------

Except for the CPU (another Intel i7) every single observation above has been reproduced on my rig, even though I set HW = 10 and smc.version="0"

The script I used:

hdiutil create -o /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -size 5130m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
hdiutil attach /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build
mv /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra
hdiutil convert ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso
mv ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso

Check the 1st comment: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325603-how-to-create-a-bootable-high-sierra-iso-for-vmware/

Managed to get this working with Workstation 14 and Sierra:

1. Created the VM with Fusion 10
  2. virtualHW.version = "14"
  3. Added smc.version = "0"
  4. Display scaling = off

Had initial problems with mouse and keyboard not responding when virtualHW.version = "10" (was following old instructions from Unlocker 2.0.8).

Scaling is still a bit of an issue for me as holding down the Option key while clicking on Scaled only gives me two resolutions to choose from in macOS' Display Preferences:

• 1920x1080 (native)
  • 960 x 540 (HiDPi)

Had initial problems with mouse and keyboard not responding when virtualHW.version = "10" (was following old instructions from Unlocker 2.0.8).

I managed to solve this by setting USB to 2.0 (defaults to 1.1)

The crashes I mentioned in post #32 were down to kernel panics. I haven't got it all figured out but by limiting CPU to 3 processors it was stable for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am trying to install Unlocker 2.10. on my VMware 12 pro using thread link:  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/835-unlocker/

I am getting error message:

VMware Unlocker 2.1.0
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-17
VMware is installed at: D:\VMWarePro12\
Stopping VMware services...
Restoring files...
File not found - *.*
0 File(s) copied
File not found - *.*
0 File(s) copied
Could Not Find D:\VMWarePro12\darwin*.*
Removing backup files...
Starting VMware services...

I see in the thread you mention that I may need to add the darwin.iso, is that what I need to do here? If so, how is that done?

Do you guys think this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

Will work?

Thank you for maintaining the unlocker, it really helps me publish applications faster! Hmm, I'm having trouble getting High Sierra to boot into the installer wizard in VMware Workstation Player 14. It gets a little bit through the Apple logo progress bar black screen, then loops back to the VMware logo. Any tips?

I've patched my VMware Workstation Player 14 with unlocker and configured smc.version = "0" in my VMX, for what it's worth. I'm using a Windows 10 host.

I was able to install High Sierra in VMware Fusion 10, so something is off with the Workstation Player 14 setup, hmm. I'm using the same ISO for both, that I generated with createinstallmedia from Install macOS High Sierra.app and hdiutil convert.

I have successfully used Unlocker in the past, but I can't get it to work after updating VMware Workstation to 12.5.7. When running the unlocker.exe command it fails to patch vmwarebase.dll. I have tried using "Run as Administrator" with my user account, and I have also tried by logging in with the local Administrator account and choosing "Run as Administrator" and both have the same result:

GOS Patching: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "unlocker.py", line 432, in <module>
    main()
  File "unlocker.py", line 417, in main
    patchbase(vmwarebase)
  File "unlocker.py", line 301, in patchbase
    f = open(name, 'r+b')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VMware\\VMware Workstation\\vmware
base.dll'
[6476] Failed to execute script unlocker

I haven't modified the permissions on vmwarebase.dll.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dave (Donk)

Dave,

Is there some sort of compensation that would speed this up? I could really use a couple of MacOS vms on an ESXi 6.5 server.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am getting the following error when running 2.1.1 on VMware Workstation 12.5.9 build-7535481:

GOS Patching: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll Traceback (most recent call last): File "unlocker.py", line 432, in <module> main() File "unlocker.py", line 417, in main patchbase(vmwarebase) File "unlocker.py", line 301, in patchbase f = open(name, 'r+b')

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VMware\\VMware Workstation\\vmwarebase.dll'

[17816] Failed to execute script unlocker

Adding full permission to Everyone didn't help and all the VMware services are down.

Any idea how to solve it?

Thanks!

I've got a bit of a head scratcher. I was successfully able to install OS X on ESXi 6.0U2, and get GPU passthrough working with a GTX 1050 Ti with unlocker 2.08. I then uninstalled Unlocker 2.08, upgraded to 6.5U1, installed Unlocker 2.10 and my VM continued working with GPU passthrough. However, since the upgrade, I've been unable to duplicate my success with GPU passthrough .I've tried installing OS 10.13 in a new VM, passing through the GPU, installing the appropriate Nvidia driver, but no success. I even tried copying my existing VM's .vmdk file to a new VM, but it also failed to initialize the Nvidia card. I also tried creating a new VM with machine version 11 (e.g., for OS X 10.10), but it also would not intialize the video card.

Not really sure what to do from here. I'm good for now, but if something happens to the existing VM I'm up a creek.

EDIT: I was able to "clone" the working VM by dropping to the console and using "cp -R" on the VM, and then registered it as a new VM. Apparently there's some magic setting in one of the config files that allows GPU passthrough...

On Arch Linux with Intel CPU. Workstation 14 patched with Unlocker 2.1.1. various configurations tested (smc.version, HW 10, USB 2.0 etc.). Stuck on boot loop with original apple BaseSystem files (10.13). Tried to uninstall and install older versions of Unlocker without luck. Tried to patch the 2.1.1 unlocker with the patch contained in the unofficial 2.0.9 unlocker. No idea where to go from here.

Hello, first of all, thank you for making/maintaining unlocker! For me this is the first solution which works to create a virtual OSX. Nevertheless there are two issues, perhaps somebody can help?

Setup: Debian Stretch, VMware Player 14, Unlocker 2.1.1, OSX 10.12 Sierra

1) (solved) Resolution can not be changed

​Solution (for beginners like me, enter it in a terminal window in osx and not in the host system;-)

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool NO

2) How can I make my osx.vmx visible in vmware (gui/graphical version)?