[SUCCESS] 10.13 GA-Z97-D3H - 4790k - GTX980

theconsumer1

4 posts in this topic

:drool: GUIDE:  10.13   GA-Z97-D3H - 4790k - GTX980 :drool: 

(WORKING ON 10.13 SUPPLEMENTAL UPDATE AS OF 10/8/17)

(USES APFS - APPLE FILE SYSTEM)

3313eau.jpg

34rd5d2.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

INTRO:

1) This build uses a USB Soundcard from Amazon and works OOB (see below). I do not use the ALC1150 onboard sound with this build after having tried dozens of solutions to get audio to work. The same result occurrs regardless of what the experts think:  sound cuts out after so many minutes of use. Rather than strain my brain over it, call it done and buy the sound card.

2) This build uses APFS - Apple File System. First make sure that your essential applications are able to run on APFS. The last thing you want to do is put in all the effort to install 10.13 and realize you have to reformat (not fun). This guide can be used for standard HFS+ volumes, the difference is the APFS.efi driver doesn't have to be installed to Clover/Drivers64UEFI.

Please post questions below!

COMPONENTS:

• GA-Z97-D3H (Rev 1.1, Latest Bios)
  • Core i7 4790K (OC to 4.6ghz)
  • MSI GTX 980 4GB OC
  • 16GB 1866mhz HyperX
  • Samsung 850PRO 256GB SSD
  • 1TB WD 
  • Corsair H110i GTX

ADDITIONAL HARDWARE:

• ASUS N13 USB WIFI DONGLE (been using same one since 10.6)
  • Syba Virtual 7 SD-CM-UAUD71 7.1 Audio USB dongle (i have had 3 of these and work OOB)

WORKING:

• Hardware acceleration
  • App Store
  • Wifi
  • Ethernet
  • CPU Overclock
  • Speedstep
  • Sleep
  • Everything

INSTALLATION:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Download High Sierra from App store
  • Create a USB (theres plenty of guides around the web that work easily)
  • Install latest clover  - Note: APFS.efi driver required for APFS builds. Place in Driver64UEFI - APFS.efi
  • IMPORTANT:  Don't forget to copy FakeSMC.kext to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.13 before installing (if '10.13' folder not there, make a new one)
  • Before Installing: Enable the following BIOS features and SAVE the profile in case ever lost..

Disable VT-d

Set XHCI to Auto mode

Disable IGFX

Enable XHCI and EHCI handoff

Set SATA Configuration to AHCI

• Next, boot from USB and wait til inside installer
  • Select disk utility, erase the target disk and format APFS
  • Install 

POST-INSTALLATION_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. INSTALL ETHERNET KEXT

1. AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip  Place in ~System/Library/Extensions
  2. Repair cache and permission with Kext Utility.app.zip   
  3. Reboot <-----

2. INSTALL ASUS USB WIFI KEXT

1. Do NOT use Asus supplied drivers------more info: Asus N13 USB Guide.
  2. Download: RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip - Place in System/Library/Extensions
  3. Download: DWA-140WirelessUtility.prefPane.zip - Install to Users>Username>Library>Preference Panes
  4. Note: I couldn't get the pane to install in System>Library>Preference Panes for some reason
  5. Repair permissions/cache with Kext Utility 
  6. Reboot <-----
3. INSTALL CLOVER BOOTLOADER
  1. Download latest Clover Bootloader at sourcefourge.net 
  2. Custom Settings - Check Install for UEFI Booting Only, Install Clover in the ESP.
  3. Select Drivers 64 UEFI:  Check cmsvideo, emuvariable, aptiofix2, partitiondxe (NOTE:  Just copy my EFI Drivers to Clover Drivers64Uefi Folder - drivers64UEFI.zip
  4. Download my config file:  config.plist.zip
  5. Install at EFI>Clover
  6. Make sure FakeSMC.kext is at EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.13 (make 10.13 folder if its missing)
  7. Reboot

4. DOWNLOAD NVIDIA WEB DRIVERS

1. Check build number. As of 10/2017, original mac app store High Sierra build 17A365 has been changed to build 17A405 and requires a different set of web drivers if you updated with the "Supplemental Update" apple just released to patch some things. Build 17A365 web drivers will cause BOOT LOOP! Must install correct drivers.
  2. Download drivers for your build number here:  Nvidia Web Drivers
  3. Install drivers - if you get an error during install, simply proceed.
  4. Repair permissions, reboot
  5. If the system boots fine with graphics working in full acceleration, then finished.
  6. If the system hangs or boots to black screen at login, then boot safe mode with -x
  7. In safe mode, install the following kexts:    nvidia kexts.zip
  8. Repair permissions, reboot

5. VERIFICATION

1. Check to see if TRIM support is enabled in System Information (it should be if you used my config file, if not enabled, see guide:  Enable Trim on Mac SSDs
  2. Open App Store and see if it will let you log in. if not, navigate to MAC SSD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration 
    Delete network interfaces.plist
    Reboot and App Store should work, also DPCI manager should show 'En 0' for ethernet.
  3. Generate SSDT for CPU - required even if not overclocked. See guide here:  overclocking guide 
  4. DSDT:  I had a DSDT generated back when Yosemite was latest - had an intelligent OSX86.net forum member make it for me - not sure why I need it but I still use it. You can download it here for the Z97 D3H board: DSDT.aml.zip
  5. Verify speedstep is working with Intel Powder Gadget or HW Monitor
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

KNOWN ISSUES:

1) System hibernates and does not wake, causing the user to hard reset the system.  This has been prevalent in the last 3 versions of MacOS

SOLUTION: 

Disable Wake on Lan (now called Wake for ethernet network access) in system pref

Disable Power Nap in system pref.

Run terminal command pmset -g

Make sure hibernate mode = 0, if not, run command:  sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Set darkwake=no in Clover Config (adjusted in attached config file)

PERFORMANCE:
Geekbench 64bit:  19589 score
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

APPRECIATION:

Thanks for Insanelymac forum for all the help! Also, thanks to OSX86.net and many others in the community that allow us to keep the show rolling with hackintosh! Submit any questions below.

--- :thumbsup_anim:  :drool: theconsumer1 :wub:  :angel:  :wink_anim: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...