• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

paulicat

paulicat

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
To clear any fuzzyness. This smbios is not a "hack".
Its compiled/modified from 10.4.3 sources because those are the last available sources that are acpi complient. Thats it. There was a myth that smbios needed to be "cracked" and so forth, that was balony. The problem with 10.4.8 smbios kext is EFI. Plain and simple, nothing more.
This kext is also very limited in what it does for osx. In fact, all it does is read bios information in and publish it to the devicetree so that osx can use that data. This is where things like the bus speed, memory speed, amount of memory and so forth are read for use in things like System Profiler and About this Mac.
It does nothing more than that, nor would it have any effect on your aperture serial number issue.

As for sleep, I don't know yet whether thats related to this kext since sleep has never worked once on my pc. I'll talk to semthex about it.

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
Thank you paulicat :whistle:

is there a mirror for the AMD SMBIOS.kext?

MichalK

MichalK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Its compiled/modified from 10.4.3 sources because those are the last available sources that are acpi complient. Thats it. There was a myth that smbios needed to be "cracked" and so forth, that was balony. The problem with 10.4.8 smbios kext is EFI. Plain and simple, nothing more.

Paulicat, what is the difference between Your SMBIOS.kext (getinfo 1.0.9) and the 10.4.5 SMBIOS included in mifki's package (getinfo 1.0.6, which used to crash some machines) ?

tivimac

tivimac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
The link is dead... "The download limit has been reached for this file"

Do you have another source?

This kext is also very limited in what it does for osx. In fact, all it does is read bios information in and publish it to the devicetree so that osx can use that data. This is where things like the bus speed, memory speed, amount of memory and so forth are read for use in things like System Profiler and About this Mac.
It does nothing more than that, nor would it have any effect on your aperture serial number issue.

As for sleep, I don't know yet whether thats related to this kext since sleep has never worked once on my pc. I'll talk to semthex about it.

Naz

Naz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Nope I was wrong 10.4.8 loginwindow works fine for me. All what I had 2 do is just update my kernel. About this mac works perfectly!!

zam

zam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
paulicat,
Thanks for clearing things up! I never even knew there were 10.4.3 sources available... are they still available somewhere? I'd be interested in looking at the 10.4.3 SMBIOS code vs the 10.4.8 version.

I have tested several times with 10.4.4 SMBIOS (which came with mifki's kernel) vs your newest version. Every time I change the kext, Aperture requests the serial number again. It seems like it thinks that the hardware has changed, which in a way makes sense because the SMBIOS has to do with the hardware specifications. Naturally, we would like to use a SMBIOS that makes our OS X boxes to look most like real mac hardware. Of course we don't want it reporting any non-core duo processors or other suspicious hardware for applications.

tokra128

tokra128

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Fell, the file have been removed .. can be posted again ?
pls

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts

Paulicat , just wanted to say that with the other smbios,the one thats in all the installs by default,I have s1 sleep and monitor sleep working.I let the pc sleep for 10 hours last night and it woke right back up.
this is with semthex's latest kernel.

paulicat

paulicat

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Ok, seems yousendit sucks ass.
When I get home tonight I'll put it on my blog.

As for people that are still experiencing crashes, be sure to enable CPUID in bios, if you don't have that option, you're pretty much screwed since loginwindow.app from 10.4.8 has a cpuid check in it.

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
Hi,

may I ask

one of the 200.000 downloaders

to do the hard job

of uploading prolly 48KB

and make a mirror for the AMD version?

I know this may :) up your webconnection and will take hours.

:D :sorcerer:

paulicat

paulicat

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
There was no specific "AMD" version. Its for both, and I'll upload the latest one to filefactory when I get home from work.

paulicat

paulicat

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Ok, so its finally done, hit my blog here: http://paulicat.freeflux.net/
Instructions are there for an upgrade guide that I wrote a while back.
The links are in the guide...

Cheers and good luck.

paulicat

paulicat

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Hey all, good news, I just fixed the Hardware Overview error with 10.4.8 System Profiler :hysterical:

New one is linked from my blog now.

civiliano

civiliano

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, the link dont works?!

link down?!

mcdull

mcdull

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
System Profiler work but "About this mac" still crash on my AMD (nF4 3000+)

warped1

warped1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
System profiler works but it reports 1 cpu 1 core for me with my X2 4400. I restarted with cpus=2 and results were the same. It's also missing the CPU instructions report (SSE2 SSE3 etc).

OoOoOoO

OoOoOoO

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi paulicat.
could you upload the source of this kext somewhere?
or may be send via mail?

p.s. thx for your work.

paulicat

paulicat

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

System profiler works but it reports 1 cpu 1 core for me with my X2 4400. I restarted with cpus=2 and results were the same. It's also missing the CPU instructions report (SSE2 SSE3 etc).

About This Mac will crash if your bios does not have the option to enable CPUID max limit. There are checks in loginwindow.app (which is the actual binary that contains the About This Mac window) that I cannot bypass with smbios.
This needs binary patching, and I don't do any of that...sorry, but thats the reality of the problem.

Cores will be tricky on AMD (partly because I don't have an AMD) but most importantly, because Apple has focused a lot of their code to be very Intel hardware specific. I can take a look, but I make no promises for AMD. If you want to help out with testing, join the irc channel...

As for the missing cpu instructions, thats because Apple took them out of System Profiler :)
They aren't displayed there anymore whatsoever.

Paulicat

asapreta

asapreta

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

About This Mac will crash if your bios does not have the option to enable CPUID max limit. T

Paulicat

Which value we must use?

mdg

mdg

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 255 posts

Hey all, good news, I just fixed the Hardware Overview error with 10.4.8 System Profiler :)

New one is linked from my blog now.

Worked for me. Now shows Core 2 Duo and even has correct 2.7 (2.705 to be exact, in bios) speed (OC'd E6600 from 2.4 to 2.7). Hardware recognizes 2 CPU's and speed also. The only part that's not recognized is the memory and the speed. It says 2Gb of SDRAM, but I have 2Gb of DDR2 SDRAM. It also gives 0 for speed.

I now (also) have a new MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo 2.33 (a sweet!! machine) and I will tell you that it shows DDR2 SDRAM, and the Hardware overview is different also. It shows total number of CPU's as 1 and total number of Cores as 2.Attached File  MBPC2D.jpg   51.05KB   196 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy