About This Mac crash solved *Properly*!

paulicat

128 posts in this topic

System profiler works but it reports 1 cpu 1 core for me with my X2 4400. I restarted with cpus=2 and results were the same. It's also missing the CPU instructions report (SSE2 SSE3 etc).

About This Mac will crash if your bios does not have the option to enable CPUID max limit. There are checks in loginwindow.app (which is the actual binary that contains the About This Mac window) that I cannot bypass with smbios.

This needs binary patching, and I don't do any of that...sorry, but thats the reality of the problem.

Cores will be tricky on AMD (partly because I don't have an AMD) but most importantly, because Apple has focused a lot of their code to be very Intel hardware specific. I can take a look, but I make no promises for AMD. If you want to help out with testing, join the irc channel...

As for the missing cpu instructions, thats because Apple took them out of System Profiler :)

They aren't displayed there anymore whatsoever.

Paulicat

Hey all, good news, I just fixed the Hardware Overview error with 10.4.8 System Profiler :)

New one is linked from my blog now.

Worked for me. Now shows Core 2 Duo and even has correct 2.7 (2.705 to be exact, in bios) speed (OC'd E6600 from 2.4 to 2.7). Hardware recognizes 2 CPU's and speed also. The only part that's not recognized is the memory and the speed. It says 2Gb of SDRAM, but I have 2Gb of DDR2 SDRAM. It also gives 0 for speed.

I now (also) have a new MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo 2.33 (a sweet!! machine) and I will tell you that it shows DDR2 SDRAM, and the Hardware overview is different also. It shows total number of CPU's as 1 and total number of Cores as 2.post-56202-1163523978_thumb.jpg

Worked for me on an Asus P5GD1-VM/L motherboard.

I have enabled CPUID in the bios and used your modified AppleSMBios.kext.

Used JaS 10.4.8 reseed.

The other motherboard I have (Intel 915GUX) worked with the original kext from JaS

Thank you Paulicat!

Ok, This has been consuming too much of my time.... I can't get it to work. I have installed the latest AppleSMBIOS.kext and repaired permissions, and put on the latest simteck kernel. I have tried the CPU max enabled and disabled. I have tried the data exclustion enable, and disable. The system profiles seems to be working fine now, but the about this mac crashes finder.

Under system profiler, theAppleSMBIOS.kext shows this:

AppleSMBIOS:

Version: 1.0.1

Last Modified: 11/13/06 9:16 PM

Get Info String: 1.0.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003

kext Version: 1.0.1

Load Address: 0x1b741000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.kernel.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

My Hardware overview only shows:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

Processor Speed: 2.79 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Sales Order Number: 00000

L2 Cache: 1 MB

Hardware Overview is showing odd info with latest AppleSMBIOS.kext:

Hardware Overview:

Processor Name: Intel Core Solo

Processor Speed: 3.75 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Serial Number: Number

Sales Order Number: tem Serial Number

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Letter I is missing in Sales Order Number:...

Hi Paulicat,

I appreciate your work! Thank you!

I've been trying Semthex latest kernels, and also you kext. It's good to see that my Pentium D820 shows the right speed, 2,8 Ghz! (Still the processor is Unknown, though). But, there are hibernation issues...

Semthex have fixed the hibernation problem in his kernel now. However, with Semthex latest kernel from yesterday evening and your kext installed, the computer does not wake up properly from hibernation. I get a black screen that will not recover, and the USB mouse is stuck. However if i unplug it and put it back in again, it works. But the screen will not come on anyway, so a reset is always necessary.

If I replace your kext with the "original" one in Jas latest DVD, wakeup from hibernation works. (But with the "original" AppleSMBIOS kext the CPU shows 4Ghz and the processor as Unknown).

Just thought I should share my experiences. Hopefully the hibernation issues and Unknown processor can be fixed.

Thank you for all your work!

Hardware Overview is showing odd info with latest AppleSMBIOS.kext:

Hardware Overview:

Processor Name: Intel Core Solo

Processor Speed: 3.75 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Serial Number: Number

Sales Order Number: tem Serial Number

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Letter I is missing in Sales Order Number:...

Why everybody have the line: Sales Order Number while I don't have?

I use the AppleSMBIOS.kext (1.0.1) from paulicat's blog. I have the Intel 3.0G, bus 800, cache 1Mb prescott and my information only like this:

Machine Name:	Mac
 Machine Model:	ACPI
 Processor Speed:	3.01 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 Memory:	1 GB
 Bus Speed:	800 MHz
 L2 Cache:	1 MB

Thanks for all the reports folks.

I'll try to address a few issues.

Firstly, this kext will only fix About This Mac crash when these conditions are met:

1 - Intel CPU

2 - Enable CPUID Max Limit in your bios - I dont know of any other setting other than Enable or Disable.

3 - Loginwindow.app needs to be from 10.4.8, if you have backdated loginwindow to 10.4.4 it will crash, you will need to manually update your loginwindow back to 10.4.8 version.

4 - Serial number/Sales order numbers are coming from your bios. Often, the data is bogus and doesn't really make sense. Real macs might have this, but clones like ours don't.

5 - I will have to talk to semthex regarding the sleep issue. Thanks Thegn for testing/reporting that it works with old one, and not with mine. Sleep has never worked on my motherboard, so it makes it hard to test. Also, its odd that smbios would have ANY affect on sleep since there is no code in the kext (10.4.3 or 10.4.8) related to sleep. I could use any testers that have a working sleep in any form, to join the channel...

6 - Memory type and speed seem to be read wrong from the bios on non Intel branded motherboards. Apple has tweaked/coded things to be very specific to Intel branded motherboards.

7 - loginwindow.app is responsible for CPU recognition in About This Mac. This sucks because in most cases my smbios can recognize the proper CPU name, but since loginwindow.app doesn't read this data from smbios, we're stuck with Core or Unknown.

8 - I'm not sure why some of you are getting dependency errors on this kext. I suspect it has to do with how you've upgraded to 10.4.8, I've personally manually upgraded from 10.4.4 using the guide I wrote on my blog.

Here's what mine says:

AppleSMBIOS:

Version: 1.0.1

Last Modified: 13/11/06 11:32 PM

Get Info String: 1.0.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003

kext Version: 1.0.1

Load Address: 0x29003000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Kext is modified

Remember if you want to help out with testing, join #kernel on macspeak irc. I can build debug versions that will spit out more information. If something doesn't work for you, join the channel and help out. I only have one machine to test this on, so my testing is very limited. What else can I say, it works perfect on "my" system.

I'll keep this thread going till I run out of ideas.

Ok, so I am still using the same Kernel, and AppleSMBIOS. With my Hackmac booted in vmware, it works fine with Loginwindow.app with both 10.4.8 and 10.4.4. Using the native boot, it crashes and reloads finder in 10.4.8. Still works fine with 10.4.4.

So The Kernel, or AppleSMBIOS doesn't like my motherboard.

xyhh, look closely at step 9, click the link, then look for and click on link that says Download For Free With Filefactory Basic. Then look for and click on Click Here To Begin Your Download.

I'm trying to be the single source location for this kext so that I don't get bombarded with various problems that might have been fixed in later versions.

@paulicat

8 - I'm not sure why some of you are getting dependency errors on this kext. I suspect it has to do with how you've upgraded to 10.4.8, I've personally manually upgraded from 10.4.4 using the guide I wrote on my blog.

I had reported earlier having those dependency errors. You are correct, it relats to the 10.4.8 build method. I had done a clean install from the jas-10.4.7-install dvd and then upgraded with pacifist and a 10.4.8 update.

Yesterday I did a build following the pastebin guide from semthexs' faq - install from 10.4.4 dvd, update with Apple Mac-10.4.5 - 10.4.8 delta updates. Now all the dependency errors are gone. Not just for your kext but for all of them. :P