About This Mac crash solved *Properly*!

paulicat

128 posts in this topic

UPDATED**

About This Mac crash and System Profiler Hardware Overview error are finally fixed properly!!

Here is a link to a proper AppleSMBIOS.kext that is %100 ACPI compatible.

Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions as usual and repair permissions.

http://paulicat.freeflux.net/ the link is in the guide.

**Note: Memory speed might not show properly, Im still looking at that. However cpu speed should be fixed now.

Second part of the crash puzzle is to enable cpuid max limit in your bios. If you don't have this option, I don't know of a fix for it.

Report back here for success reports please.

Cheers!

Works for me, About this Mac doesn´t crash anymore, reports 3.74 Ghz (I´m using overclock so it´s right) Intel Core 2 Duo (and that is the only wrong thing, have a Pentium D)

Memory speed now shows 0 Mhz, didn´t show speed before

Actually, if you can believe it, Im not a mac programmer :D

I can only tell you what I've seen that lead me down the path that got it working.

If the crash was inside of loginwindow, then it would have crashed for everyone, however the crash only happened on non intel boards.

So I figured it should be something in the bios.

I fixed up the code that was not being reported on Intel mobos, fixed up the efi calls, and got a working kext first. Then it still crashed with a memory write to read only memory location.

I was running out of ideas, so I began poking in the bios and noticed my cpuid limit was disabled, which of course worked for every release up till now.

I enabled it, and boom, no more crash :)

I double checked to see if the stock 4.4 smbios would work, to make sure if cpuid being disabled was the real cause of the crash, however, it still crashed with 4.4 smbios. I put mine back in, and of course it worked again.

Cheers,

Paulicat.

Guest bikedude880

Works fine. Same boat as Taruga, Pentium D OC'd to 3.09 reads speed properly (though says it's a Core Duo, See next post) and memory now has an unknown speed.

Actually, if you can believe it, Im not a mac programmer :)

I can only tell you what I've seen that lead me down the path that got it working.

If the crash was inside of loginwindow, then it would have crashed for everyone, however the crash only happened on non intel boards.

So I figured it should be something in the bios.

I fixed up the code that was not being reported on Intel mobos, fixed up the efi calls, and got a working kext first. Then it still crashed with a memory write to read only memory location.

I was running out of ideas, so I began poking in the bios and noticed my cpuid limit was disabled, which of course worked for every release up till now.

I enabled it, and boom, no more crash :gathering:

I double checked to see if the stock 4.4 smbios would work, to make sure if cpuid being disabled was the real cause of the crash, however, it still crashed with 4.4 smbios. I put mine back in, and of course it worked again.

Cheers,

Paulicat.

Glad you got it working,sorry I wasn't around to help you finish.I should be on later today.Great work :)

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, thats the risks when you dev on your main box ;)

I'll look at ioreg -l problem, but keep in mind the 4.8 smbios was only meant to work with efi systems...I'll do what I can but may need some help, when I get time I'll be in the kernel channel to discuss.

Paulicat.

How can I replace the loginwindow.app with the one form 10.4.8. When I try to drag it into the folder, it says the file is open and can not be replaced. I tried extracting it using pacifist and it doesnt' seem to have replaced it.

How can I replace the loginwindow.app with the one form 10.4.8. When I try to drag it into the folder, it says the file is open and can not be replaced. I tried extracting it using pacifist and it doesnt' seem to have replaced it.

Delete the old loginwindow.app first, then copy over the new one. It won't let you empty the trash until you restart.