Slow Boot

12 posts in this topic

hello, this is not an hackintosh problem. I have a real MacMini late 2014, the middle one 2.6Ghz. I also have an 840 evo SSD on that and the boot takes 47 seconds if TRIM is enabled. Verbose boot shows many pauses in the first stage. I also have an hack with 840 EVO but I got the 10.13.1 beta and the boot is slow too but somewhat a little faster than the Mac Mini.

You could disable TRIM, boot will be faster although it should be the exact contrary: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-msata-review,3716-10.html

Are you on APFS? I saw these slow boot issues go away when I switched back to JHFS+. But I'm on High Sierra with Samsung 960 Pro m.2 so it could be a nvme issue for me. Interestingly, my boot times on APFS started out OK but progressively got worse and worse the more full my drive became. At 50% full it would take 5 minutes to boot. Switched back to JHFS+ with the same drive contents and my hack boots in under 5 seconds.

Yes I'm on APFS. After restoring the backup to disk TRIM was already enabled. So now I am on APFS + TRIM and the boot takes 26 seconds while it was taking 48 before this process. The disk is an 840 evo 250gb. The pc is a macmini late 2014 (real). I have to try this on a desktop hack I have with OCZ vertex 3 60Gb

More evidence TRIM is not the problem. I just created a time machine backup for ASUS P8H67-V based hack and restored to the SSD. Boot was 58 seconds now it's 27 seconds. TRIM is enabled.

It must be some mess HS is doing during HFS to APFS conversion when upgrading from Sierra.