Can't boot HS after successful install

22 posts in this topic

I was able to install High Sierra without any issues, but now that the OS is installed, the system won't boot.  Attached is a photo of where the system hangs.  I am currently at work so I will upload the clover.plist later tonight.

I have tried everything I can think off.  I've experimented with all combinations of various Clover boot flags and variables.  I have tested various kexts.  I tried the ICH10 patch for HS but it didn't change anything (I didn't have install problems without it).  Im using Clover v4233 installed as Legacy.  SMBIOS is MacPro5,1 as it best resembles this system's hardware (dual processor on Intel 5520 chipset with ECC ram).  I thought that potentially the graphics card was causing problems, so I pulled the SSD out and installed the nVidia Web Drivers on a different, working hack build.  I can boot into HS on that machine using the computer's normal clover setup.  I get full graphics acceleration and everything else works fine when testing the SSD on the other hardware.

The system is a Lenovo Thinkstation C20 with a low profile Gigabyte 1050 Ti OC.

Some relevant specs:

2 x Intel Xeon E5620 2.4ghz
Intel 5520
Intel ICH10R
48GB DDR3 ECC
128gb SSD formated to APFS

Anyone have any ideas?  No matter what I have done, I can not get past this hang booting 10.13.

Edit 1: I have tested with multiple forks of FakeSMC.  Tried Kozlek 6.26 and the HWSensors 3.5

Edit 2: Attached current config.plist

post-1350313-0-81472500-1507147006_thumb.jpg

config.plist.zip

Update:

I formatted my USB thumb drive and replaced with the new 10.13 build released with the Supplemental Updates (17A405). Update apfs.efi to the newest version. Booted from the USB, formatted the SSD, started all over. I was again able to successfully install High Sierra but can not boot into the OS. The results are the same. System hangs at same place as original photo.

Did you fix it? I'm with the same problem. Installation went perfect and i was even able to boot once with everything working but for some reason every time i try to boot the system it gives me a kernel panic. 

I don't know what to do. 

Anyone?

Did you fix it? I'm with the same problem. Installation went perfect and i was even able to boot once with everything working but for some reason every time i try to boot the system it gives me a kernel panic. 

I don't know what to do. 

Anyone?

I haven’t made any progress.

Thank you.  That simply quotes and links to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327488-macos-high-sierra-final-release-is-out-17a365/?p=2505086.  I already tried the ICH10 patch.  I haven't tried the newest releases of Clover and FakeSMC to see if anything has changed.  I will update when I have time to test more.

I think your config is not correct.

The reason you can install high sierra because it doesn't boot with your hardware. Mostly USB and graphics problem - To be safe, put rehabman AllUSBInject.kext in the 10.13 folder.

-Make sure to place all your original DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml to the patched folder.

-DropOEM to False.

-List DSDT.aml and SSDT's in the config.

-Remove all the fixes.

-Make sure all the kexts needed are in the 10.13 folder.

-InjectKext should be Detect and not True.

-I don't see ig-platform-id.

This is my recommendation on your config.

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>-v nv_disable=1 dart=0 darkwake=0</string>

<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>
<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>DropOem</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>DropOem</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>SortedOrder</key>
<array>
<string>SSDT-0.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-1.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-2.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-3.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-4.aml</string>
</array>
</dict>

<key>FakeID</key>
<dict>
<key>IntelGFX</key>
<string>0x04128086</string> What is your graphics - iF you use Nvidia then forget this.
</dict>

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>  boot without QE/CI first.
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>

<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0a260006</string> What's your id again?
</dict>

<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string></string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Detect</string>
</dict>

Cheers,
Louis

You can install because it doesn't boot and check your hardware for anything. When you really boot in the OS, that's when the OS check with your smbios for the hardware, it looks at MacPro5,1 and starts to load USB driver and graphics for it and when your hardware doesn't match... it hangs.

Cheers,

Louis

You can install because it doesn't boot and check your hardware for anything. When you really boot in the OS, that's when the OS check with your smbios for the hardware, it looks at MacPro5,1 and starts to load USB driver and graphics for it and when your hardware doesn't match... it hangs.

Cheers,

Louis

The above is why the patched FakeSMC I linked is so important, with the older non patched FakeSMC the OS see's the machine as a Fake. by updating the revisions as Ammoune87 said in #2447121 (the only changes I made to that FakeSMC) my system stopped both stalling and panicking on boot and was able to get into the post install High Sierra.

HBP

The above is why the patched FakeSMC I linked is so important, with the older non patched FakeSMC the OS see's the machine as a Fake. by updating the revisions as Ammoune87 said in #2447121 (the only changes I made to that FakeSMC) my system stopped both stalling and panicking on boot and was able to get into the post install High Sierra.

HBP

The Apple page doesn't list the SMC Version for MacPro5,1.  Does anyone know the appropriate SMC Version to use?

EDIT:  I found it with some googling.  MacPro5,1 is 1.39f11.  The smc-compatible should be smc-thurley.  

I think your config is not correct.

The reason you can install high sierra because it doesn't boot with your hardware. Mostly USB and graphics problem - To be safe, put rehabman AllUSBInject.kext in the 10.13 folder.

-Make sure to place all your original DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml to the patched folder.

-DropOEM to False.

-List DSDT.aml and SSDT's in the config.

-Remove all the fixes.

-Make sure all the kexts needed are in the 10.13 folder.

-InjectKext should be Detect and not True.

-I don't see ig-platform-id.

This is my recommendation on your config.

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>-v nv_disable=1 dart=0 darkwake=0</string>

<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>
<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>DropOem</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>DropOem</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>SortedOrder</key>
<array>
<string>SSDT-0.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-1.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-2.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-3.aml</string>
<string>SSDT-4.aml</string>
</array>
</dict>

<key>FakeID</key>
<dict>
<key>IntelGFX</key>
<string>0x04128086</string> What is your graphics - iF you use Nvidia then forget this.
</dict>

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>  boot without QE/CI first.
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>

<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0a260006</string> What's your id again?
</dict>

<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string></string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Detect</string>
</dict>

Cheers,
Louis

I am adding USBInjectAll.kext, but doubt it matters. The board doesn't have USB3.  Also, IGP is irrelevant as there is no onboard graphics.  Only GPU is nVidia as mentioned in OP.  Also, you are aware that "nv_disable=1"hasn't worked since Clover r3751 onwards?  Dart=0 is fine to be safe, but I disabled all VT-d in the BIOS.  Made all other changes.  Will report back.

EDIT 2: Still no change.  Made all changes recommended.  Tested modified versions of both FakeSMC 6.26 and 6.14.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Posted a similar thread but under Post Installation. Its a dup of this one. Sorry.

S O L V E D.

Specs:

MoBo: Intel Dx79T0

CPU: Intel i7-3820

RAM: 32GB

SSD: 3-120GB and 500GB Kingston

Graphics: 2 GT670

4 screens.

Ethernet: IntelE1000

Wifi: Atheros40

Sound: VodooHDA

OSX: Install macOS High Sierra.app (October 16, 2017 at 7:41 PM) downloaded Sunday Nov 19

The problem is NOT the USB as it is clearly indicating  its working by displaying stuff, its the next kext which is hd management, and in our case (Intel Mobo) a problem with the ich10r.

The solution comes from the unmentionable website and is a patch to the ich10r. Link is this but probably will be removed being the evil site.

To patch under clover in [kernel and kext patches]

Name: AppleAHCIPort

Find: 4585f60f 95c289c8 83e0fe66 85c9780f

84d2750b 
Replace: 89c883e0 fe6685c9 0f98c141 08cc9090
9090750b 

Comment: whatever

Now I get to the place in the booting process where the USBxxxx was displayed and usually got stuck there and.... IT GOES THRU to loading of volumes.... :drool: 

I got Graphics problems, so nv_disable=1.

So I got the installer up and running installed in another SSD, took about 15 minutes, booted about 2 or 3 times (cant recall), that is, the normal process. Its APFS in my case.

Got everything but graphics. For some reason the OSX Native and NVIDIA Web drivers go ballistic, really bad. Ill try to solve that later.

Hope you enjoy it.

Sorry forgot, SMBIOS used iMac14,2 and MacPro5,2. Same graphics problem but only that (yeah just that :cry: )

To patch under clover in [kernel and kext patches]

Name: AppleAHCIPort

Find: 4585f60f 95c289c8 83e0fe66 85c9780f 84d2750b 

Replace: 89c883e0 fe6685c9 0f98c141 08cc9090 9090750b 

Comment: whatever

This information is the same as the following information from Posts #5 and #6.

Thank you.  That simply quotes and links to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327488-macos-high-sierra-final-release-is-out-17a365/?p=2505086.  I already tried the ICH10 patch.  I haven't tried the newest releases of Clover and FakeSMC to see if anything has changed.  I will update when I have time to test more.

I have tested that method.  It did not solve my problems.

For sanity check I used another EFI folder from a suggested "installation" and made the AppleAHCIPort fix. DID NOT WORK. Changed again to my original EFI folder + the AppleAHCIPort fix and it works.

So im including the EFI folder I have thats in the EFI Volume of the booting hd. Dropbox link due to size. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxdhiv98n9zojux/EFI.zip?dl=0

Hope it helps.

RSN

Install form here http://hackintosher.com/guides/updating-hackintosh-high-sierra-10-13/