10.13 - GTX980 black screen after alternate web drivers

theconsumer1

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

Please tell me why i am getting a black screen after installing the 10.13 alternate web drivers for high sierra? 

TRied with nvda_drv=1, no luck

Tried with nv_disable=1,  no luck

Tried both Lilu and the Nvidia fix kext that ppl recommend and no luck.

smbios is imac 14,2     cant upload config.plist right now because dont have access to the EFI partition in safe mode.

Safe mode works. 

specs:

MSI Dragon GTX 980 OC 4gb

i7 4790k

GA Z97 D3H

PLEASE HELP

You have a similar build to me. I am on a 4790k with 14,2 smbios on a 1060 in 10.13. I am not using any special Gpu kexts (no lilu, etc). I am using only the web driver, and the nvda_drv=1 boot flag to get the video to work. Make sure that you have enabled sip by changing it from 0x67 or 0x3 to 0x0 in Clover config. You can change it to 0x0 in the clover menu options to boot in.

Hi,

Please tell me why i am getting a black screen after installing the 10.13 alternate web drivers for high sierra? 

TRied with nvda_drv=1, no luck

Tried with nv_disable=1,  no luck

Tried both Lilu and the Nvidia fix kext that ppl recommend and no luck.

smbios is imac 14,2     cant upload config.plist right now because dont have access to the EFI partition in safe mode.

Safe mode works. 

specs:

MSI Dragon GTX 980 OC 4gb

i7 4790k

GA Z97 D3H

PLEASE HELP

You need NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext version 1.1.3.  The archive posted by mathq above should be ok to get you going.

You need NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext version 1.1.3.  The archive posted by mathq above should be ok to get you going.

Why dont I need it? I am on the same CPU and High Sierra, and my 1060 doesnt need that or lilu, or any other special gpu kext.

SOLVED:

MSI Dragon GTX 980 4GB OC.

Used these 3 kexts (attached also):

Lilu.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

Don't care to understand why I need them. Besides the fact that Nvidia just went back in time and somehow ruined compatibility for Maxwell cards instead of improved it.

Thank you all for the help.

• Like 1

SOLVED:

Lilu.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Don't care to understand why I need them.

Hmmm. I really care to understand them because adding potential security holes for features you don't need is generally a bad idea.

My search results so far have indicated that NVWebDriverLibValFix is defunct as of the 10.13 web drivers.

Note also that NvidiaGraphicsFixup patches the same system calls (_csfg_get_platform_binary and _csfg_get_teamid) that  NVWebDriverLibValFix does anyway - this is a high traffic function so calling it twice per invocation via two decorators is just slowing down your system (probably not appreciably though).

Besides decorating those two functions it just patches 3 kexts (usually unnecessarily) - which can be done manually.

Lilu, while a great concept and API, when used in concert with CsrActiveConfig == 0x67 basically opens up your machine to any malicious code to patch your kernel and do whatever it wants with your PWND machine.

So we really should carefully read the source and understand the nature of anything we install with privileges.

• Like 1

You have a similar build to me. I am on a 4790k with 14,2 smbios on a 1060 in 10.13. I am not using any special Gpu kexts (no lilu, etc). I am using only the web driver, and the nvda_drv=1 boot flag to get the video to work. Make sure that you have enabled sip by changing it from 0x67 or 0x3 to 0x0 in Clover config. You can change it to 0x0 in the clover menu options to boot in.

What is your Clover version? I thought support for nvda_drv=1 was removed a while back. We are supposed to use NvidiaWeb key in SystemParameters now.

I thought support for nvda_drv=1 was removed a while back. We are supposed to use NvidiaWeb key in SystemParameters now.

Tested and the boot arg still results in nvda_drv=1 being set in the emulated nvram - so I guess the support still hasn't been removed contrary to limited doco suggesting it had.

SOLVED:

Lilu.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Don't care to understand why I need them. Besides the fact that Nvidia just went back in time and somehow ruined compatibility for Maxwell cards instead of improved it.

Thank you all for the help.

For posterity sake - and anyone with similar woes later on - I think I may have discovered the root cause and why your combinations of kexts solved your issue. As I mentioned above I really need to understand why things work and don't work so I thought I'd share what I have found over here.

I haven't nailed it down exactly why yet but I suspect your SIP config during WebDriver installation (combined with your choice of SMBIOS) is indeed why you don't need either of the two NV fix kexts (or lilu which is just a dependency of one of them). If your NVRAM emulation (EmuVariableUefi-64.efi if your mobo doesn't provide native NVRAM) works properly you wont even need the nvda_drv=1 boot arg as the WebDriver sets it in NVRAM.

• Like 1

Why dont I need it? I am on the same CPU and High Sierra, and my 1060 doesnt need that or lilu, or any other special gpu kext.

Probably different smbios. I'm not an expert. I just know that, for my particular build (not the one in the sig), that made all the difference.

This fixed it for me install drivers with SIP enabled and added EmuVariableUefi-64 MacDavePro suggested

Edited by fantomas1