Sapphire RX 560 black screen

marvelloard

16 posts in this topic

Hey,

I successfully installed High Sierra on my system. But booting into desktop results in a black screen (Sapphire RX 560). I put Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext into the "other" kext folder of latest Chameleon, but no luck. Previously (10.12) it worked when putting the kexts in /Library/Extensions, but that doesn't work any longer.

Help...

Edit:
Sorry, just found the older post, will try rollback

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327712-black-screen-amd-radeon-hd5670/

Hi, 

I'm facing the same problem as you. 

I'm using Asus Strix RX 560 4G. I'm using it on Sierra 10.12.6 but when I tried it on HS 10.13, I just got black screen.

Plz help!

@ricoc90

Respectfully they are talking about the black screen issue on AMD RX 560 GPU, the link you posted is for GTX980 :)

@marvelloard and @hoangmytr

Make sure that you have the latest version of lilu (1.1.7) and Whatevergreen (1.0.4)

and here is the WhateverGreen Support Topic if you need further support on your GPU.

• Like 1

@ricoc90

Respectfully they are talking about the black screen issue on AMD RX 560 GPU, the link you posted is for GTX980 :)

@marvelloard and @hoangmytr

Make sure that you have the latest version of lilu (1.1.7) and Whatevergreen (1.0.4)

and here is the WhateverGreen Support Topic if you need further support on your GPU.

Yeah, I'm using the latest version of Lilu and Whatevergreen. My RX 560 is working fine in 10.12.6 (dual monitors setup)...

I use the same boot options (kexts, drivers including apfi.efi, config.plist...) and my hack just goes black after verbose boot :(.

Edit: add -lilubeta and -radbeta to bootflag SOLVED the problem!

@cyberdevs

thank you, yes I'm using the latest versions

@hoangmytr

sounds interesting and I will try it soon. Both flags should actually do nothing on 10.13 since all they do is enabling support on unsupported platforms. And 10.13 actually is enabled by default. If this is true there's a bug in those kexts.

Edit:

Beta flags didn't fix anything for me.

@cyberdevs

thank you, yes I'm using the latest versions

@hoangmytr

sounds interesting and I will try it soon. Both flags should actually do nothing on 10.13 since all they do is enabling support on unsupported platforms. And 10.13 actually is enabled by default. If this is true there's a bug in those kexts.

Edit:

Beta flags didn't fix anything for me.

This might not apply to you but I use this way to generate the SSDT for my GPU on my older rig, It's a GA-EP45-DS3R and I have a Sapphire Radeon HD7790 which I had the same problem on macOS Sierra (Not High Sierra, I haven't tested High Sierra yet but the principal is the same) the only way to get it to work is to generate the SSDT for GPU which I used this command which is for audio (I know) but it will generate the HDMI Audio SSDT and it will have the connector'd data for the HDMI port.

Run the command in macOS Sierra (only if it's not supporting High Sierra) it will add some audio patches in the config.plist under Kernel and Kext patches which you can remove them if you already have your audio working.

The SSDT fills will be generated and will be copied to the /efi/clover/acpi/patched and with that file being present in the ACPI/patched folder I have display.

Guest ricoc90

@ricoc90

Yeah, I see. Excuse-moi  :blush: I probably posted to the wrong topic

This might not apply to you but I use this way to generate the SSDT for my GPU on my older rig, It's a GA-EP45-DS3R and I have a Sapphire Radeon HD7790 which I had the same problem on macOS Sierra (Not High Sierra, I haven't tested High Sierra yet but the principal is the same) the only way to get it to work is to generate the SSDT for GPU which I used this command which is for audio (I know) but it will generate the HDMI Audio SSDT and it will have the connector'd data for the HDMI port.

Run the command in macOS Sierra (only if it's not supporting High Sierra) it will add some audio patches in the config.plist under Kernel and Kext patches which you can remove them if you already have your audio working.

The SSDT fills will be generated and will be copied to the /efi/clover/acpi/patched and with that file being present in the ACPI/patched folder I have display.

I see and I will try, thank you.

While I understand you're facing that issue in Sierra, I cannot understand I'm facing that same issue in High Sierra since between those two system there shouldn't be that much of a change.

I see and I will try, thank you.

While I understand you're facing that issue in Sierra, I cannot understand I'm facing that same issue in High Sierra since between those two system there shouldn't be that much of a change.

The black screen problem is almost all the same on all hacks. I don't say that it will solve your problem but it's worth a try.

Honestly I strongly consider a downgrade right now, because Sierra works just fine and I don't see much of a benefit running 10.13. Hopefully in a couple of months there will be an easy fix or some better knowledge about the issue.

There will be new updates available for Lilu.kext and hopefully for WhateverGreen as well.

Today I went back to Sierra. Not only because of the black screen (could work around this with my old VGA card), but also because of the slower speed (especially on boot, it would hang at some point) and the number of patches I need to get it running.
I will try it out again once it has reached a higher level of stability/reliability and better tools/fixed Lilu/WhateverGreen are around.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

Today I went back to Sierra. Not only because of the black screen (could work around this with my old VGA card), but also because of the slower speed (especially on boot, it would hang at some point) and the number of patches I need to get it running.

I will try it out again once it has reached a higher level of stability/reliability and better tools/fixed Lilu/WhateverGreen are around.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

You're welcome ;)

I ran some tests on my older GA-EP45-DS3R rig and it seems that the Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext don't like to work with 10.13 as well as 10.12, so I guess we have to wait for those updates to be released.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...