VMware Workstation 12.5.7 & macOS 10.13

pjg61

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to install macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) in a new VM on Workstation 12.5.7 (Windows). I have Unlocker 2.0.8 installed. Other versions of macOS work just fine.

I created the USB installer key using the same method as with 10.12.

The installer does its first pass fine and then when the virtual machine reboots, the system is unable to boot and stops in the EFI screen. It says "unsuccessful" for the EFI macOS boot paths for 10.13.

If I take a running installation of 10.12 and run the 10.13 Installer from within to upgrade, it starts, reboots and then the same problem. I've searched a bit and found nothing. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this...

What am I missing ?

Same issue here.  I am wondering if Workstation 14 is needed.  (High Sierra is not officially supported on VMware Fusion until version 10, which corresponds with Workstation 14.)  It may have to do with the switch to APFS, and the VMware EFI firmware cannot read that type of drive?  Totally guessing here.

I haven't tried Workstation 14, I'm waiting until the unlocker is properly released.  (I actually did try it with the current code on Github and the VMware Authorization Service would not start after the patch was applied, apparently that is a known issue.)

You can make 10.7 or higher virtual machine (or use existing), download High Sierra installer from AppStore and then create bootable iso with script from this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325603-how-to-create-a-bootable-high-sierra-iso-for-vmware/. Just change Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app to Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app. Then copy iso to host machine and create macOS 10.13 virtual machine from this iso.

You can make 10.7 or higher virtual machine (or use existing), download High Sierra installer from AppStore and then create bootable iso with script from this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325603-how-to-create-a-bootable-high-sierra-iso-for-vmware/. Just change Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app to Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app. Then copy iso to host machine and create macOS 10.13 virtual machine from this iso.

I tried this and end up with the same problem as before. The installation process seems to work fine and then upon restarting, it fails in the EFI loader.   This is with a plain macOS Journaled file system (not APFS).

After upgrading to VMware Workstation 14 (with unlocker 2.1.0), I was able to upgrade my macOS 10.12 VM to 10.13 without any issue.  (It failed before with Workstation 12, getting hung up with a boot failure after the upgrade.)  I also upgraded the VM "hardware level" to Workstation 14 before the macOS upgrade, not sure if that actually matters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After upgrading to VMware Workstation 14 (with unlocker 2.1.0), I was able to upgrade my macOS 10.12 VM to 10.13 without any issue.  (It failed before with Workstation 12, getting hung up with a boot failure after the upgrade.)  I also upgraded the VM "hardware level" to Workstation 14 before the macOS upgrade, not sure if that actually matters.

Hello,

Have you a SSD or a HDD ? I own a SSD and I would like to upgrade Sierra (10.12) to High Sierra (10.13) with VMware Workstation 12.5.7. You advise first of all to upgrade VMware Workstation 12 to 14 and apply Unlocker 2.1.0 ? And after you advise to proceed to the upgrade of Sierra to High Sierra with a bootable High Sierra iso for VMware here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325603-how-to-create-a-bootable-high-sierra-iso-for-vmware ? The SSD worries me a little.

Thank in advance. 

valorisa

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded from VMware Workstation 12.5.7 to VMware Workstation 14, I fetched High Sierra from App Store and successfuly upgraded Sierra to High Sierra with sata0:0.virtualSSD = "0". Unlocker 2.1.1 applied from Windows 8.1. All is OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

using VMware Workstation 12.5.8 and Unlocker 2.0.8.

I have an "old" OSX VM, working nicely since at least the "lion" version.

Unfortunately the migration from Sierra to High Sierra failed to boot (stuck for hours at the apple logo, with the progress bar 100% full).

However installing High Sierra from an ISO image, and adding smc.version = "0" to the vmx file, worked flawlessly. Now using the migration to move from the old machine (had a backup copy) to the new one.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Is a full VMware Workstation needed, or is VMware Workstation Player okay? I have VMware Workstation 14, and I can't install High Sierra (boot loop) nor Sierra ("initproc exited"), even though smc.version is configured as "0", and my VMware Workstation (Player) is patched with the most recent unlocker master commit.