HD Clonetool. PowerPC and Developer "Mac" Versions. GUI version coming soon

Guest goodtime

91 posts in this topic

WOW!!!!!! Great job! I messed around with CCC, Superduper! , DiskUtility and various partition tools. Your software DID IT! Thanks so much for your great effort! I sent you a donation. Keep it coming! Wanted to give some feedback as well.. First time, clone did not boot. I suspect it was due to my using Disk Utility (with my 10.4.8 upgrade with JAS form 10.4.6 JAS) to do the partition and format. My second time, I used Acronis and partitioned MBR FAT32 Active and then went into Disk Utility and erased the partition rather than re-partitioning and formatted to HFS+ (journaled) as MBR type. Then ran Clonetool v.06a. Used USB hard disk and all went well since I was able to boot from the USB device and in fact I am writing this from the cloned boot disk! Thanks again and Happy Holidays! Steve

Guest goodtime
@Goodtime. Do you still need a beta tester for the EFI version? Im about to switch out my macbook hd and need to clone from an external drive? I would normally use CCC but if you need a beta tester I am willing to try it out.

I don't have an official EFI version yet. The PowerPC version should work on Intel Macs, but it has not been tested.

Hatchery will support all types of Macintoshes, but that is still in development.

Thank you,

gt

Guest goodtime

Clonetool Hatchery Teaser

http://art5dog.com/CTeaser.mov

Adding more features. I decided not to rush this new version. I am planning in releasing it Spring 2007, most likely on Easter Weekend.

This video was made soley with Photoshop CS3 beta.

gt

Edited by goodtime

• 2 weeks later...

Keep me in mind for the intel mac and hackintosh testing :) I have been usuing your CloneTool in my beta testing here and it has yet to fail me one time! Great job. (I would love to get a chance to try out the GUI version :) )

I'm really hoping that you can help and that I didn't mess things up too badly.

Let me start by saying this is a great tool and I was finally able to accomplish a task that I've been trying to get done for months very easily by using it.

This is the situation. I have two hard drives. Ones my boot drive (call it drive A), one was just a spare (call it drive B). I wanted to update my boot drive from 10.4.5 to 10.4.8. I decided to use Clonetool to clone my boot drive (A) to the spare (B), boot from the spare and update it for testing to make sure everything worked. Everything worked perfectly and I used the cloned and updated drive (B) for a week with no issues.

The next step, unfortunately, didn't go as planned. I wanted to now clone the current boot drive (B) back to the original boot drive (A) to utilize my original setup. Foolishly, I used Disk Utility to erase and reformat drive A, giving it an improper MBR that wouldn't allow it to boot. However, I didn't realize this mistake until reading this thread.

Not know why the newly cloned drive A wouldn't boot, I tried re-cloning it several times. Each time yielded the same result. I finally thought that the issue was that I was using a cloned copy of Clonetool to make the clone (because it was installed originally on drive A then cloned to drive B which I was now booting from). So, I trashed Clonetool and downloaded a new copy and installed it. This is where the problem arose.

In attempting to clone with the newly installed copy, I received this error:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _GPTuuidHuman2Type

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Resources/DiskManagementTool

Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/MediaKit

dyld: Symbol not found: _GPTuuidHuman2Type

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Resources/DiskManagementTool

Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/MediaKit

2007-01-01 22:18:00.584 diskutil[312] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'connection went invalid while waiting for a reply' that raised during firing of timer with target 3037a0 and selector 'run:'

The script quit and wouldn't go any further. Obviously, no clone was made. I am still able to boot my machine (from B) and everything is still functioning normally except for one thing:

I am unable to mount any DMG or ISO files in my system. If I double click on a DMG file, the system hangs and I have to perform a hard reset. Same for ISO. I can, however, insert a CD and it mounts to my desktop.

Again, you have created a wonderful tool and it was only because of my boneheadedness that something went awry. I am hoping that you will able to get me out of this jam so that I can get on with using Clonetool!

Thank you.

Edited by jonlevine

Guest goodtime
I'm really hoping that you can help and that I didn't mess things up too badly.

Let me start by saying this is a great tool and I was finally able to accomplish a task that I've been trying to get done for months very easily by using it.

This is the situation. I have two hard drives. Ones my boot drive (call it drive A), one was just a spare (call it drive :). I wanted to update my boot drive from 10.4.5 to 10.4.8. I decided to use Clonetool to clone my boot drive (A) to the spare (:D, boot from the spare and update it for testing to make sure everything worked. Everything worked perfectly and I used the cloned and updated drive (B) for a week with no issues.

The next step, unfortunately, didn't go as planned. I wanted to now clone the current boot drive (B) back to the original boot drive (A) to utilize my original setup. Foolishly, I used Disk Utility to erase and reformat drive A, giving it an improper MBR that wouldn't allow it to boot. However, I didn't realize this mistake until reading this thread.

Not know why the newly cloned drive A wouldn't boot, I tried re-cloning it several times. Each time yielded the same result. I finally thought that the issue was that I was using a cloned copy of Clonetool to make the clone (because it was installed originally on drive A then cloned to drive B which I was now booting from). So, I trashed Clonetool and downloaded a new copy and installed it. This is where the problem arose.

In attempting to clone with the newly installed copy, I received this error:

2007-01-01 22:18:00.584 diskutil[312] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'connection went invalid while waiting for a reply' that raised during firing of timer with target 3037a0 and selector 'run:'

The script quit and wouldn't go any further. Obviously, no clone was made. I am still able to boot my machine (from B) and everything is still functioning normally except for one thing:

I am unable to mount any DMG or ISO files in my system. If I double click on a DMG file, the system hangs and I have to perform a hard reset. Same for ISO. I can, however, insert a CD and it mounts to my desktop.

Again, you have created a wonderful tool and it was only because of my boneheadedness that something went awry. I am hoping that you will able to get me out of this jam so that I can get on with using Clonetool!

Thank you.

To help troubleshoot your problem(s). I have a few questions:

1. This sounds like a partition could be using GUID: "dyld: Symbol not found: _GPTuuidHuman2Type"?

When exactly does this error pop up? Is it when running the Clonetool Installer or when making a clone using Clonetool?

Open your terminal and type: "diskutil list" Check all drives listed for your source and target. Make sure the partition is FDisk_Partition_Scheme, and each partition is formatted as HFS+.

Correct Example:

DarthVader:~ gtdv$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:				   type name			   size	  identifier
  0: FDisk_partition_scheme					*232.9 GB disk0
  1:			  Apple_HFS drivename	   232.9 GB  disk0s1
/dev/disk1

2. What version of OSX are you are installing Clonetool on now?

3a. In your frameworks, what versions of these frameworks are you running?:

MediaKit

DiskManagement

DiskImages

To find this answer, Please go to About this Mac (Apple Menu), then click on More Info. Then go to software -> frameworks.

4. Is your Machine SSE2 or SSE3?

Did you happen clone the original setup back to your backup drive prior to erasing the true original?

I am sorry that you are having difficulty using Clonetool. I hope the next version which is due out by Easter help solve some of the issues that you are having. I will try to help you with your diskimages not mounting. I have ran into this a couple times. The tricky part is, there are about 7 updates to OSX and each version could use a different combine of private frameworks. We have to find set that works with Clonetool and your system. I will try to setup a duplicate scenerio here and get back to you.

Sincerely,

Goodtime

Edited by goodtime

I've the following messages I've to clone OSX into SATA OSX and then boot from sata please help!!

=======================================================================

To select the partition, Please use the 'identifier' column.

The 'identifier' column is on the right hand side. -gt

/dev/disk0

#: type name size identifier

0: GUID_partition_scheme *298.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Sata OSX 297.8 GB disk0s2

Using the numbers on the right,

Complete the 'identifier' from the list above:

This will be your target partition. Format: disk0s#

> disk0s2

Using:

/dev/disk0s2 as the cloned partition.

***WARNING***

Answering 'y' here will erase all data on /dev/disk0s2.

Answering 'n' will stop & exit Clonetool.

Erase the entire partition /dev/disk0s2 [y/n]: y

Volume names to avoid using for the clone. Avoid using spaces too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

. JaS OS 10.4.7 OSX Share WINXP

.. MaxtorFire Sata OSX VOLUME clonetool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enter a unique Volume_name that is NOT from above list.

> OSTemp

Creating new HFS+ Filesystem on /dev/disk0s2 using OSTemp.

2007-01-03 00:00:56.494 diskutil[572] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'connection went invalid while waiting for a reply' that raised during firing of timer with target 3037c0 and selector 'run:'

First, let me thank you for responding so quickly and thoroughly to my posting. I also want to again say that this error is certainly a result of my doing and not your program, which worked flawlessly for me in the past.

Now to answer your questions:

To help troubleshoot your problem(s). I have a few questions:

1. This sounds like a partition could be using GUID: "dyld: Symbol not found: _GPTuuidHuman2Type"?

When exactly does this error pop up? Is it when running the Clonetool Installer or when making a clone using Clonetool?

Open your terminal and type: "diskutil list" Check all drives listed for your source and target. Make sure the partition is FDisk_Partition_Scheme, and each partition is formatted as HFS+.

The error popped up when I was attempting to make a clone. As far as I can tell, it installed fine.

The source disk is partitioned correctly and formated in "Apple_HFS" (which I don't know if that's the same as HFS+). The target disk is is also formatted in "Apple_HFS", but partitioned with a "GUID_partition_scheme" which, I suppose is the reason that I cannot boot from it.

2. What version of OSX are you are installing Clonetool on now?

10.4.8. This was upgraded from 10.4.5 using the "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE3.Only.Combo.Update"

3a. In your frameworks, what versions of these frameworks are you running?:

MediaKit

DiskManagement

DiskImages

To find this answer, Please go to About this Mac (Apple Menu), then click on More Info. Then go to software -> frameworks.

MediaKit: 8.5

DiskManagement: 1.1

DiskImages: 10.4.4

4. Is your Machine SSE2 or SSE3?

SSE3 (AMD Sempron 2800+ socket 754). However, in the System Profiler, it only shows SSE2 as a CPU Feature, though that could have something to do with the OS install.

Did you happen clone the original setup back to your backup drive prior to erasing the true original?

If I remember correctly, I cloned the original setup to the second drive, but couldn't get it to boot (I actually tried this twice). I then removed and reinstalled Clonetool on the source drive, but received the error when trying to clone again. So, theoretically, the original setup is still on the source drive, but I cannot boot from it because it is partitioned incorrectly. Is there a way to repartition without destroying what's on the drive?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Guest goodtime
The source disk is partitioned correctly and formated in "Apple_HFS" (which I don't know if that's the same as HFS+). The target disk is is also formatted in "Apple_HFS", but partitioned with a "GUID_partition_scheme" which, I suppose is the reason that I cannot boot from it.

10.4.8. This was upgraded from 10.4.5 using the "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE3.Only.Combo.Update"

MediaKit: 8.5

DiskManagement: 1.1

DiskImages: 10.4.4

Is DiskManagement: 1.1 or 1.11? I have 1.11 installed on my 10.4.8 SSE3 machine which is what CT installs by default.

Other than that, it looks like the verisons are correct. However, there are different versions of the DiskImages private.framework that have the same version #. To fix your Diskimage problem, you could try the replacing diskimages.framework that is from your boot DVD install disk to your working system that does not have the diskimages functioning:

1. Insert 10.4.8 install DVD (Or the DVD that matches your current system).

2. Move your your current Diskimages.privateframework to the Trash can. Location: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework. It will ask you a password to trash it.

2. in the terminal type:

sudo ditto -v -rsrc /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework

This will replace your disk images framework.

If I remember correctly, I cloned the original setup to the second drive, but couldn't get it to boot (I actually tried this twice). I then removed and reinstalled Clonetool on the source drive, but received the error when trying to clone again. So, theoretically, the original setup is still on the source drive, but I cannot boot from it because it is partitioned incorrectly. Is there a way to repartition without destroying what's on the drive?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Rammjet has a good alternative solution for cloning drives found here:

http://forums.osx86project.org/lofiversion...php/t26441.html

The bad news is Clonetool expects the source Partition to be FDisk and the destination to be FDisk, but it does not check it itself. Clonetool is a little dumb right now and hopes the user has each partition setup correctly. This works great for Advanced users, but not so well for some. I appologize for this short coming.

The good news is the GUI version of Clonetool (Hatchery) will allow you to clone non-booted volumes to another volume. In addition, Hatchery will not allow you to clone to the wrong Partition Scheme. For instance, if the source is GUID, the target must be GUID. If the source is FDisk, the destination must be FDisk. Under its default mode, Hatchery will only be able to clone the system that is designed for that box to another drive that is partitioned the same way. This should help you in the future, but in the meantime, I would try Rammjet's solution. If you need more information about Rammjet's Apple Restore procedure, I think there are some related posts on InsanelyMac.

Again, I am sorry for the problems that you ran into with your experience with CT. I hope to make a better version soon. :thumbsup_anim: Even though, it looks like CT will not be able to solve your current problem. You're feedback will help improve the next version of CT. Feedback like this helps me decide which features that are on my idea list that should be implemented next. Thank you and good luck.

Sincerely,

Goodtime

Edited by goodtime

Guest goodtime
Keep me in mind for the intel mac and hackintosh testing :thumbsup_anim: I have been usuing your CloneTool in my beta testing here and it has yet to fail me one time! Great job. (I would love to get a chance to try out the GUI version :thumbsup_anim: )

JaS,

That really means a lot from a well respected OSx86 Developer. Thank you for the complement. I will be in touch when the GUI verison is ready. I took a long break over the holidays and hope to get something ready for private testing soon.

To everyone else interested in the GUI verison, those who already donated (or donate before Hatchery is released), they will receive the first test version. Developers and previous beta testers will receive it shortly afterwards. Then after tweaks and final enhancements, on Easter weekend, Clonetool Hatchery will be public. I promised anyone who donated that they would be the first to give Hatchery a test spin as a token of my appreciation. Users and Developers are not required to donate, but I will keep my word to those who made the effort and contributed.

Thank you,

GT

Edited by goodtime

Other than that, it looks like the verisons are correct. However, there are different versions of the DiskImages private.framework that have the same version #. To fix your Diskimage problem, you could try the replacing diskimages.framework that is from your boot DVD install disk to your working system that does not have the diskimages functioning:

1. Insert 10.4.8 install DVD (Or the DVD that matches your current system).

2. Move your your current Diskimages.privateframework to the Trash can. Location: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework. It will ask you a password to trash it.

2. in the terminal type:

CODE

sudo ditto -v -rsrc /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework

This will replace your disk images framework.

Thank you for all of your help goodtime. The only question I have is regarding the install DVD. I have one DVD that is 10.4.5 and one that is the 10.4.8 update. I believe you are referring to the update DVD. Is this correct?

Also, because I cloned the drive prior to this error taking place, would this framework be present on the non-booting destination drive? If so, could I just pull it off there?

Thanks.

Guest goodtime
Thank you for all of your help goodtime. The only question I have is regarding the install DVD. I have one DVD that is 10.4.5 and one that is the 10.4.8 update. I believe you are referring to the update DVD. Is this correct?

Also, because I cloned the drive prior to this error taking place, would this framework be present on the non-booting destination drive? If so, could I just pull it off there?

Thanks.

Yes, It's worth a try. If it does not work you can try your diskimage.framework from your 10.4.5 DVD. This will only try to fix working machine to read disk images. Not the boot problem or GUID error.

gt

Edited by goodtime

• 3 months later...