HD Clonetool. PowerPC and Developer "Mac" Versions. GUI version coming soon

Guest goodtime

91 posts in this topic

Guest goodtime

It looks like the part3 volume is not being mounted correctly.

Set part3 as the Active partition? [y/n]: n

The Clone is being born, please wait...

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 disk0s2

Determining correct file permissions.

parent directory ./Users/Shared/SC Info does not exist

Fixing owners on 'part3'

vsdbutil: Couldn't get volume information for '/Volumes/part3': No such file or directory

vsdbutil: no valid volume UUID found on '/Volumes/part3': No such file or directory

Update Prebinding on Source.

Try a totally unique volume name like: test3bXYZ for the destination volume. My guess there is more than folder/volume in /Volumes called "part3" There could be one called "part3" as a folder and "part3 1" is the volume. Obviously your boot disk is full from stuff being cloned to your /Volumes folder instead of the target volume. Try cleaning out your /Volumes folder from the extra junk that was cloned there by mistake and use a unique name that does not exist inside /Volumes. I will add more error checking here if duplicate Volume names exist before cloning.

Unmount your part3 disk, from the desktop drag part3 volume to the trash icon on your dock.

Then do this from the terminal:

cd /Volumes
ls -al

if you still see part3 there, that is a probably a folder and not a volume.

Remove the part3 folder by.

sudo rm -R /Volumes/part3

I am going to add in an extra mount task to make sure part3 is mounted. It might just be left unmounted. I will do more testing here and see if i can fix it.

gt

@ superkona

f you still see part3 there, that is a probably a folder and not a volume.

Remove the part3 folder by.

sudo -R /Volumes/part3

sudo rm -Rf /Volumes/part3

@ goodtime

I understand how the 10.4.4 Disk Utility on the 10.4.6 - 10.4.7 install DVD's running old kernel 8.4.1 might use the older Media.kit which looks for the boot files in /usr/standalone/i386 on the DVD.

What I'm still struggling with (and have struggled with for quite a while) is what happens after installation. I install 10.4.6. It runs the old kernel 8.4.1. It probably has the older Media.kit. Disk Utility might be 10.4.4 or 10.4.6 - not sure, I could probably research this. However, no boot files (other than boot.efi) are in /usr/standalone/i386. I have used the installed Disk Utility to set up partitions. It works. Why? How? No boot files! Old kernel! What is the magic? Are the (small) files embedded somewhere? If so, why? Apple doesn't need to install Darwin bootloaders on a real Mac. If Media.kit is looking in /usr/standalone/i386 for boot files, why is it successful when there are no files?

In thinking about how Apple may be accomplishing all of this instead of using "dd", "startupfiletool" and "bless", I have reasoned the following. All of these operations are basically the same. Copying boot0 to the MBR sectors is basically writing data to a particular address on disk. Copying boot1h to the start of the partition is basically writing data to a particular address on disk. Copying boot to the partition is basically writing data to a particular address on disk. Setting the partition active is basically writing data to a particular address on disk - in the MBR sector. The only things that change are the source data and the destination disk address. So, Apple can use a single routine to perform all of those. FDisk (for MBR) potentially has the routines necessary to do that. But Apple wants to obsolete FDisk. PDisk is the utility for Apple partitions, but Apple wants to obsolete that too. So, there must be another routine/utility that performs these ops. Maybe that is Media.kit. But where does it get the Darwin boot files to copy/install?

A Disk Utility idiosyncracy: Disk Utility is a GUI frontend to several different utilities. I have 2 OSX partitions on one disk. I boot the 2nd partition and run Disk Utility to Repair Disk on the 1st partition. I get an error that the partition cannot be unmounted. In the recent past, this would work. I have narrowed this down to the Spotlight database on each partition. Even if Spotlight has finished indexing, it still holds open the database. So, with the file open, Disk Utility won't unmount the partition. I've tried a variety of things to temporarily disable Spotlight to allow Disk Repair, but I have failed. I have to boot the install DVD and repair from that (or boot to single-user mode and run fsck). However, back to that Disk Utility on the 2nd partition which won't unmount the 1st partition for repair - if I click on the 1st partition and click Unmount, the partition unmounts. This happens because the two operations use different utilities behind the scenes to unmount the partition - one will do it, the other won't do it. Now, when I unmount the partition and then try to repair it? Disk Utility first mounts the partition and then tells me it can't be unmounted for repair!

Guest goodtime

New version of Clonetool @ Official Clonetool Website (v.03.2a) is available based on suggestions from Rammjet and Superkona.

/dev/disk#s# simplification

At this time, I could not use the # from diskutil as these numbers do not always jive on a system that has extended dos partitions beyond 3 partitions, the disk identifier and diskutil numbers are different. If I get better at parsing output data from diskutil, the disktutil #s could be used. For now I shortened the "/dev/disk#s#" to "disk#s#" that corresponds to the disk id info from diskutil and the /dev/disk#s# directory listing.

I added a few tips and suggestions to the current version to help avoid mistakes. Error checking will be added in as I get better at shell scripting. (I am more of an AppleScript guy and plan to port Clonetool to AppleScript Studio next year). I started with shell scripting to get good foundation before adding a interface. I like to have a good engine, add a good interface to it, then add in more error checking and create a log file for troubleshooting. Unfortunately, we are still building the engine.

gt

hi gt, i look forward to trying out the new version. i hear ya on the holidays and computers no mixing well. i've got a toddler and a wife on vacation here that's looking to me to fill all her free time. it's 2:30 am here and i should go to sleep, will check back tomorrow. cheers and seasons greetings.

Guest goodtime

Updated Clonetool behavior (.03.2a)

Now instead of entering /dev/disk#s# for the destination disk, the user just has to finish 'disk1s#'. The user only enters the slice number now to complete the disk identifier! :blowup: If the user does not complete the "equation", the program it will repeat the question.

Finish the disk identifier for the target using the above list:
Format: disk2s#
> disk2s

the user just enters the # now:

resulting to

disk2s2

This should be easier now! :angel:

Cheers,

gt

Full output of Clonetool's current Q&A text interface session

OSx86 HD Clonetool v.03.2a
by Goodtime

Tip:
If you need to boot directly from the clone,
you should pick a drive that is NOT physically
connected to your current startup disk, like
a separate Hard drive or USB 2.0 drive. -gt

The following devices are available:

1. WDC WD12 00JB-00FUA0 @ disk3 (111.8 GB)
2. WDC WD2500JB-00EVA0 @ disk4 (232.9 GB)
3. WDC WD2500SD-01KCB0 @ disk2 (232.9 GB)
4. WDC WD2500JS-00MHB0 @ disk0 (232.9 GB)
5. ST3808110AS @ disk1 (74.5 GB)
Select the destination drive # for the clone.
>3

=======================================================================
I am showing you what is on your selected disk.
This is for reference only. Thank you! -gt
/dev/disk2
  #:				   type name			   size	  identifier
  0: FDisk_partition_scheme					*232.9 GB disk2
  1:			  Apple_HFS DarthVader		 116.4 GB  disk2s1
  2:			  Apple_HFS Cool3			  116.4 GB  disk2s2

The following disk identifiers are available:
disk2s1
disk2s2

Finish the disk identifier for the target using the above list:
Format: disk2s#
> disk2s2

Converting disk id 2 to /dev/disk2s2.

Using: 
/dev/disk2s2 as the cloned partition.

***WARNING***
Answering 'y' here will erase all data on /dev/disk2s2.
Answering 'n' will stop & exit Clonetool.
Erase the entire partition /dev/disk2s2 [y/n]: y

Volume names to avoid using for the clone. Avoid using spaces too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
.			   Cool3		   OSx86		   Untitled
..			  DarthVader	  PC_Share		Untitled 2
1048			Mac_Share	   Stormtrooper	Untitled 4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter a unique Volume_name that is NOT from above list.
> Test99
Creating new HFS+ Filesystem on /dev/disk2s2 using Test99.
Started erase on disk disk2s2 Cool3

Erasing

Mounting Disk

Finished erase on disk disk2s2 Test99

===Boot Partition===
Answering 'y' will activate this boot partition.
Answering 'n' will NOT boot from this partition.

Tip:
If you are cloning to a partition that is
physically part of the startupdisk pick 'n'.
If you are cloning to a separate drive like
a USB 2.0 drive, you should answer 'y'. -gt

Set Test99 as the Active partition? [y/n]: n

Volume /dev/disk2s2 mounted

The Clone is being born, please wait...

Guest goodtime
THX goodtime for your great tool !!

everything is working great !

I successfully cloned 100gb partition to the 320 gb drive

Super!

gt

Guest goodtime

Update: Success! Clonetool works on PowerPC now. :censored2: Alpha soon for PowerPC. :( Got a successful boot, but still needs some testing with the Apps folder. Found a glitch with Illustrator and Photoshop, legal .html won't copy. But got it to boot. :D Should have a fix soon for this for both versions. :)

PowerPC Mac version of Clonetool is underway!

I quickly adapted the code and binaries to PowerPC today and I am testing it this week. Once it is as stable as the OSx86 counter part, I will release the PowerPC version of Clonetool soon.

By January, we will have a GUI Version for PowerPC and OSx86 users. I'd like to release an Intel Mac version, but this will depend on user support and donations. Regardless, development will continue for both PowerPC and OSx86.

Clonetool has been working really well with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 and will be the official OS that Clonetool will support.

Platforms currently supporting:

OSx86 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernel) Intel/AMD SSE3

Soon:

Mac OS X 10.4.8 PowerPC

OSx86 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernel) SSE2

gt

Guest goodtime
SSE2 boot Update: After doing some more research on diskutil and mediakit frameworks. I am pleased to announce a solution for SSE2 users using their existing 8.4.1 kernel system. I will be releasing .05a which will support SSE2 computers! After Rammjet and I debated about the Mediakit, I decided to do some more digging. I found the missing link for diskutil to work correctly with the Mediakit on SSE2 machines using the older 8.4.1 kernel! The missing link that a needed is a newer version of the DiskManagement framework. I found what I needed from Apple's GPT technote. What does this mean? SSE2 computers are now bootable without a boot DVD or separate Boot partition workaround. -gt

After doing some more research, my theory is diskutil along with Disk Management and Media kit frameworks work together to install bootloaders, as well as SATA, ATA, CD, DVD, Firewire disk drivers. Sources indicate with the right version of these frameworks, it will fix many MBR boot problems that we are experiencing. The media kit can handle boot loaders for GUID/GPT, MBR, and Apple Partition Schemes. Clonetool's ability to create a bootable disk for PowerPC and MBR partitions is built upon this premise.

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2166.html

Hints and Tips

This section describes a number of helpful hints when dealing with GPT.

GPT Command Line Tools

Since Mac OS X 10.4, Apple has included a command line tool, gpt, for exploring and modifying GPT disks. You can learn more about this tool by reading its man page. The source for this tool is included in Darwin.

Systems that fully support GPT include a version of the diskutil that understands GPT.

Be aware that these two tools are based on different source bases. The gpt tool is a standard-alone program derived from the FreeBSD gpt tool, and its source is in Darwin. The diskutil tool is an Apple-created program that uses Apple-private infrastructure (the Disk Management framework and, underlying that, the MediaKit framework) to do its job.

Another Mediakit.framework reference has been spotted in the man page for the hdiutil.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man1/hdiutil.1.html

hdiutil uses the DiskImages framework to manipulate disk images. Common

verbs include attach, detach, verify, create, convert, and burn...

--layout

Specify the partition layout of the image.

layout can be anything specified in MediaKit.framework's

MKDrivers.bundle. NONE cre-creates

ates an image with no partition map. When such

an image is attached, a single /dev entry will

be created (e.g. /dev/disk1). SPUD is an

acronym for Single Partition UDIF. SPUD creates

an image with a DDM and an Apple Partition

Scheme partition map with a single entry for an

Apple_HFS partition. When attached, multiple

/dev entries will be created and the 2nd partition

will be the data partition (e.g.

/dev/disk1, /dev/disk1s1, /dev/disk1s2; the

second partition is disk1s2). Unless changed

by -fs, the default is SPUD. Other layouts

include "UNIVERSAL HD" and "UNIVERSAL CD" which

add appropriate OS 9 driver partitions for

those types of media. OS 9 drivers are not

used by OS X nor by its Classic environment.

-partitionType partition_type

Below is a screenshot of which Framework versions are needed for Clonetool to install MBR Drivers/Darwin Bootloader on a 2 drive system.

gt

post-22137-1164670803_thumb.png

Thanks a lot GT, it worked like a charm on mine. I was scared to clone next to my windows partition, but it all went smooth and easy as &?*. I messed a lot with other tools out there, but none are easy and efficient as yours.

Great work!

joblo10

Guest goodtime
Thanks a lot GT, it worked like a charm on mine. I was scared to clone next to my windows partition, but it all went smooth and easy as &?*. I messed a lot with other tools out there, but none are easy and efficient as yours.

Great work!

joblo10

Joblo10,

Thank you! :compress:

Hope to make it smoother and easier as time goes by!

Hi Goodtime,

I made a disk image of my hackintosh 10.4.3 on my laptop (in sign).

Now I have the image .dmg stored inside a hfs+ partition of my external usb 2.0 hard-drive.

I tried to restore it using DiskUtility from the 10.4.3. I can choose the image to restore, but I can't select the drive to restore dragging the icon in the second field of 'Restore form'.

Can I use CT to restore my image without reinstall all the MAcOsx before?

Thanks a lot.

Guest goodtime
Can I use CT to restore my image without reinstall all the MAcOsx before?

Clonetool is designed to clone directly to another Hard drive without using an intermediate disk image.

In the future, Clonetool will support restoring from a disk image but this is beyond the capabilities of the current alpha.

gt

Guest goodtime

The PowerPC version of Clonetool will be out within a few more hours.

Edit: The PowerPC Version of HD Clonetool .06a is out! Official Website.

I've been testing it my PowerMac G4 and it runs good.

It will be very similiar to the .06a of the MBR/BIOS version for the "Developer Mac" users.

It will bless the volume but as far as I can tell, the user will just need to set the disk as a startup disk to boot from it. The bless for PowerPC does not seem to be required, but I added the option anyways just in case.

Also, because the Mac stores its boot information inside Open Firmware. I think the PowerPC version will NOT have the same 1 drive limitation as its MBR cousins. :huh: I have feeling that the EFI Mac version (if we ever get one to do some testing) will also NOT have the same limitation because EFI is very similar to Open Firmware as far as the function it serves.

Once the PowerPC and MBR versions are stable. I will start working on Clonetool's interface.

Also, if somone has the correct Bless command sequence for EFI, please let me know as I would like to release an EFI command line version soon. I may need a few Real Intel Mac users as well for testing. It will be a shot in the dark for me, since I don't have a real intel Mac yet.

-gt

Guest goodtime

Coming in Spring 2007, Easter Weekend.

Clonetool: Hatchery

Update: The new version of Clonetool (Hatchery) is coming along nicely. It will feature more error checking than previous command line versions. Also a single app, will be designed to work with Hackintosh, PowerPC and Intel Mac systems. It will also check for Partition types on the source and destination volumes. If they don't match, the user will be warned. I hope it will be a more error free solution, but also flexible enough to work with any Macintosh [or Hackintosh] system. There will be many options like Erase Disk or create a Compressed disk image for archiving or later restoration when done. Clonetool Hatchery will support restoring from a disk image as well. The user just has to mount it like a regular drive using the Mount Disk Image button. :(

Also with this new version, users can make their own emergency DVD and have Clonetool automatically boot up to it. This will take some work, but this version will be flexible enough to allow it to happen. :P

Below is just a preview of the interface. It will probably be slightly different than the proposed design. Using the simplicity of AppleScript Studio and the power of both AppleScript and Shell scripting. This is going to be one killer app.

GT

post-22137-1165636733_thumb.png

Edited by goodtime

Hi,

i used clonetool .06a to clone my hackintosh partition. Everything works while copying but after reboot i have the hanging cursor and system does not boot. Luckily i have not yet deleted the source partition . I am using another serial ata harddrive. Main system is on serial ata too. Any clue ?

My system has 2 partitions : windows xp and mac osx (10.4.7 updated from myzar original dvd) and i am using chain0 and windows xp boot manager.

Do you know how i could solve my problem? I just need to clone my osx 10.4.7 partition into a bigger one .

Thanks!

Mal

Guest goodtime
Hi,

i used clonetool .06a to clone my hackintosh partition. Everything works while copying but after reboot i have the hanging cursor and system does not boot. Luckily i have not yet deleted the source partition . I am using another serial ata harddrive. Main system is on serial ata too. Any clue ?

My system has 2 partitions : windows xp and mac osx (10.4.7 updated from myzar original dvd) and i am using chain0 and windows xp boot manager.

Do you know how i could solve my problem? I just need to clone my osx 10.4.7 partition into a bigger one .

Thanks!

Mal

It is good that you did not erase your source Partition yet. I always recommend users test their clone before destroying their original.

I personally haven't had any problems with SATA drives as that's what my main system is using.

I take it you cloned it to a 2nd physical hard drive? This is currently the only way Clonetool can install a boot loader.

Try typing this into your terminal:

diskutil list /Volumes/Repace_with_Clone_HD_name

make sure your clone is an FDisk_Partition_Scheme and NOT Apple_partition_scheme or GUID.

If your partition is NOT FDisk. You will need to reformat using the Master Boot Record option from Disk Utility. Click on the Parttion in (Applications->Utilities-> Disk Utility) and click on the Options button, select Master Boot Record. In the next version of Clonetool, Hatchery will check for this problem.

If you still can't get it to work, I will need to see your terminal output. If you haven't saved it, you'll need to run CT again and from Terminal go to File -> Save Text As...

gt

Hi,

ok i did the image again but i created the partition with ghost instead of disk utility (i didn't find such mbr option so i preferred to use another software to create the partition).

Now it seems to work ok ! I didn't use all applications but i guess it's great. It's a really great idea if it would be possible to "clone" a hackintosh to a TRUE ppc / macintel (or the opposite too) ... i know i am dreaming :)

Thanks a lot for your work !

Mal

Edited by manmal

Guest goodtime
Hi,

ok i did the image again but i created the partition with ghost instead of disk utility (i didn't find such mbr option so i preferred to use another software to create the partition).

Now it seems to work ok ! I didn't use all applications but i guess it's great. It's a really great idea if it would be possible to "clone" a hackintosh to a TRUE ppc / macintel (or the opposite too) ... i know i am dreaming ;)

Thanks a lot for your work !

Mal

While you cannot to my knowledge Clone a PowerPC to a Intel Mac or vice versa. You can transfer info from one Mac to another using Migration Assistant from Apple.

Guest goodtime
I tried the latest clonetool and it worked just perfect nice piece of software well done

Thank you! We appreciate the feedback. Look for more improvements from Clonetool Hatchery.

Edited by goodtime

Guest goodtime
Will "Hatchery" Feauture Basic partitioning tools?

This would make "Hatchery" an all-in-one solution.

btw. great work.

I will add basic Re-partitioning tools to the wish list. This might make it to the 1st or 2nd version of Hatchery.

Edited by goodtime