10.13 firmware update failures on 2010 Mac Pro

applCore

1 post in this topic

Has anyone had trouble installing 10.13 on a 2010 Mac Pro? This system is entirely supported, but not installing. I have succeeded in installing it on NON supported Mac Pros from 2009, but this 2010 issue is so far a mystery! 

The installer prompts to shut down and hold the power button in as per usual. After doing as instructed and holding the power button in to get the fast blink + long chime for firmware / EFI update, the system then issues the normal chime (again, this is usual), but instead of going into the installation, it just goes right back to 10.12 and starts the installer again which has the same old shutdown + hold power prompt. I can do this 20 times and there is no difference. I have reset the NVRAM, no change.

Unfortunately this has been the same with the last few betas and final release. Same results each and every time for this one. Thought maybe the NVRAM might be buggered up so I cmd-opt-p-r'd the {censored} out of it and still no joy.

The thing that I'm seeing is that the boot ROM is stuck at version: MP51.007F.B03 (SMC Version (system): 1.39f11).  This should be updated to MP51.0084.B00 by the final 10.13 release.

Even my several firmware hacked 2009 systems show MP51.0084.B00 while my 2010 is not taking the firmware.

Anyone think there is a way to use some hackintosh methodology to manually check and place the payload in the EFI?