APFS.efi without verbose boot

iRipper
127 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using the experimental APFS support in Sierra.

have some doubts? using from beta... seems all ok

4 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

have some doubts? using from beta... seems all ok

I don't like running unfinished, experimental features. Especially in regards to filesystems like APFS where things CAN and DO go wrong. As far as I know there's limitations to the experimental APFS under Sierra, can't remember what off the top of my head though.

Edited by Awesome Donkey

18 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

I don't like running unfinished, experimental features. Especially in regards to filesystems like APFS where things CAN and DO go wrong. As far as I know there's limitations to the experimental APFS under Sierra, can't remember what off the top of my head though.

softwares is always unfinished)

• Haha 1

True, but more so in the case of APFS in Sierra. Decided to research this a little more and here's what it says on Wikipedia:

An experimental version of APFS, with some limitations, is available in the previous version of macOS (Sierra) through the command line diskutil utility. Among these limitations, it does not perform Unicode normalization while HFS+ does, leading to problems with languages other than English. Drives formatted with Sierra’s version of APFS may also not be compatible with future versions of macOS or the final version of APFS, and the Sierra version of APFS cannot be used with Time Machine, FileVault volumes, or Fusion Drives.

And there you have it.

Sources used in the Wikipedia article:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/03/24/apfss-bag-of-bytes-filenames/

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/04/06/apfs-is-currently-unusable-with-most-non-english-languages/

https://www.howtogeek.com/272741/how-to-format-a-drive-with-the-apfs-file-system-on-macos-sierra/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, telepati said:

with modified apfs.efi I am getting the black screen about 5 to 8 sec before clover boot screen is that normal or it is too long?

and you suspect apfs on before clover issues :D 

I have put it into clover drivers 64uefi folder on Yosemite thru High Sierra which allows me to edit my High Sierra disk if needed in Yosemite system.   There is no functionality of apfs in other versions but it does allow other clover bootloaders and systems to recognize the HS apfs drive or open it for inspection.   If you don’t have it you can’t see your HS drive or access it in another macOS version.

however it is probably not a good idea that copy apfs files to a different version as that may corrupt the non apfs software.

Edited by Gigamaxx

14 hours ago, telepati said:

Yes, 'cause APFS log is coming before clover boot screen.

right about logs.... but in my case unpatched apfs are boot slower

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, telepati said:

can anyone share latest modified APFS.efi, please?

Apple build date 13 april 2018 à 23:12

here the patch apfs.efi

Edit *** I remove I don't think the patch working again 

Need confirmation

Edited by chris1111
  • Sad 1

Apple build date 13 april 2018 à 23:12
here the patch apfs.efi

Edit *** I remove I don't think the patch working again 
Need confirmation

Are working
Tomorrow will provide patched
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

Are working

I try but in my laptop I receive popup Safari BLA BLA ,,, Report or not 

I reput the old drivers :lol:

EDIT **

I do not know if it is relate to the security update and bug apple or apfs drivers ?

so now no Popup Safari

Edited by chris1111

18 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

Are working

Thank you. I just update with the latest security update and logs starting to come again. I will wait for your modified version. Thank you again.

• 1 month later...