MSI Z170A Success

bryan51

1 post in this topic

Don't see MSI talked about much here so these are my results.

I had been using a GTX 560 which worked great in 10.12.6 but not so well in High Sierra(HS).

The early betas worked fine with the 560 but later i started getting that black screen with cursor.

The easy fix here is to get a cheap GT 7xx card. I got the 710 and no problems now( i'm not a gamer). And you don't need web drivers.

But i still didn't use the beta much coz it wasn't on my SSD and there were Outlook and audio issues.

[ The ideal setup IMO is to have multiple partitions and at least a couple of drives]

So after the HS release yesterday I updated my wife's Mac Mini with APFS without issues and just had to fix Outlook. There is a 15.38 update that gets it working again :)

So I did a SuperDuper backup to a different partition and started the update. At about 2/3 through and after a reboot I was not longer seeing the SSD?? I logged into my HS test partition and wouldn't you know the SSD was in APFS now ( hmmm ... I don't remember seeing the check box for it). Anyways a quick check around and I just had to copy that apfs.efi file to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

I had had EFI on my SSD but not it has it's own partition. You will now see some very brief lines during the boot up.

So now I am into HS on the SSD. The only real issue left was my ALC 1150 fix. Get the audio_cloverALC-130.command and run it in terminal. Make sure your EFI is mounted. The only other thing was to change from line out to internal speakers

Hardware:

MSI-7984 (Z170A Krait gaming mobo)

Intel i5-6500, no overclocking

Ram: 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

Audio: ALC 1150

Graphics: GTX 710, don't need web drivers!

1 SSD 250Gb with HS only on it.

1 500 GB HD

1 320 GB HD- I have windows 10 on this and plug it in when needed

case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO. This is a pretty cool case check it out. I have it sitting on top of a file cabinet right beside my desk for easy access.

iMac14,2

macOS 10.13.0 Build 17A365 (High Sierra)

Everything looks good :)

I've run Geekbench 4 and the numbers are about the same as before under 10.12.6

4501 single core

12344 multi-core