macOS High Sierra - Final Release is out! (17A365)

Allan
426 posts in this topic

New createinstallmedia terminal command?

There is no new createinstallmedia terminal command - it's always the same and works well.

Usage: createinstallmedia --volume <path to volume to convert>

Arguments
--volume, A path to a volume that can be unmounted and erased to create the install media.
--applicationpath, A path to copy of the OS installer application to create the bootable media from.
--nointeraction, Erase the disk pointed to by volume without prompting for confirmation.

Example: createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

This tool must be run as root.

Result:

Last login: Tue Sep 26 10:43:58 on ttys000
fantomass-iMac:~ fantomas$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app 
Password:
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/USB.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.
fantomass-iMac:~ fantomas$
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

Successfully updated both my desktop systems and my Dell XPS M1530 notebook to High Sierra Release - 10.13_17A365 :).

1.  GA-P55aUD3 with legacy BIOS/Intel i5-750/ATI HD5770/HFS+ HDD

2.  Skylake NUC6i5SYH with UEFI/Intel i5-6260U/Iris 540/APFS SSD

3.  Dell XPS M1530 legacy BIOS/Intel T9300/Geforce 8600M GT/HFS+ Ext HDD

Installation Notes
  • "Install macOS High Sierra.app" v 13.0.64 run directly from Applications folder for upgrade install of existing GM_17A362a
  • Updated to latest Clover r4220, Clover injected default values for FF/FFM/PF and BIOS ver/date/Board-ID data (iMac11,3, iMac17,1, MBP7,1) --> avoid error while "verifying firmware"
  • Latest apfs.efi driver in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 or /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (only needed if APFS target volume)
  • Removed NVRAM.plist files from all EFI partitions (incl USB drives), ran sudo NVRAM -c command in terminal to reset NVRAM prior to update
  • On my Skylake NUC, I don't need or use EmuVariableUefi-64 ---> avoid OSInstall.mpkg damaged/missing error
  • If upgrading existing OS X on HDD, HFS+ is preserved (on SSD HFS+ will be converted automatically to APFS)
  • Certain SATA controllers will still have issues with AppleAHCIPort v329 (eg ICH10, 5 series, 7 series, ASMedia 1061) ---> Disks may fail to initialize, not readable or hot plug may fail.  AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 with version bundle 999.1.1 survives upgrade if installed in /L/E, and is loaded in preference to v329
  • A windows disk present on the machine during installation is OK.

Here, with the kexts on 10.13, the installer did not go up, only in Other.

EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

Guys, if you still are on a beta or GM build, do not bother with creating a new usb installer with createinstallmedia, use startosinstall instead. :yes:

It will start HSierra install and will save you time and stress. :P;)

what is the method to install in HFS? :rolleyes:

my HDD is in HFS! ;)

Guys, if you still are on a beta or GM build, do not bother with creating a new usb installer with createinstallmedia, use startosinstall instead. :yes:

It will start HSierra install and will save you time and stress. ;)

my HDD is in HFS! ;)

I just ran the .app I downloaded from app store. What is startosinstall?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I found something interesting on my ICH10 hack with 10.13:

I have 2 HDD WesternDigital that not working under 10.13 with AppleAHCIPort v329

Also I have 1 HDD Hitachi and 1 SSD Kingston that are working fine under 10.13 with v329

I tried changing sata ports but the result is the same: WD HDDs not working and Hitachi HDD and Kingston SSD are working fine, I can install HS on them without any trick(changing AppleAHCIPort or anything).

I just ran the .app I downloaded from app store. What is startosinstall?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You can find explanation on previous thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324194-pre-release-macos-high-sierra/page-191 But I don't try it because I don't know how to migrate apps and data with this method

• Like 1

Anyone has tried with an amd r7 vga?

I've got the black screen after apple logo problem, but the strange thing is that lilu + whatevergreen didn't fix it. I'm also using Pike's path for GraphicPolicy.kext

I'm using the r7 260x with fakeid injection connected with displayport. Even if screen si black I can hear sound routed from the vga.

Also if I boot with the intel igpu I can notice that the 260x is detected and (as ioRegistyExploer reports) everything is as in El Capitan.

I couln't understand why it isn't working.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

how did you install it in HFS?

As I said, I previously had GM installed on my HFS+ formatted HDD. Then I downloaded HS final release. When I wanted to create my new usb installer with createinstallmedia, I was curious about that startosinstall file that I found in the same folder (/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources). I just clicked on it and Terminal was opened. Asked me to agree the licence (put A for agree) and my PC rebooted. After rebooting, it directly came at the second stage, when the install started (it remains 45minutes...).   :)

EDIT:

As I launched that file from my primary partition (to be installed on it), the installation processing worked well (finally, it more updated my GM build, instead of made a proper install), my apps and files were all safe.   :yes:

EDIT 2:

The funny thing in this story is that I have no longer HS app in my Application folder.   :P . I guess it served as a temporary file and once installed ,the app has been deleted.

Edited by fantomas1

All fine except sleep (first hack in signature).

0YM1ZkS.png

LuCys-Mac-Pro:~ lucy$ diskutil ap convert disk3s3
Started APFS operation on disk3s3 High Sierra
Converting HFS Volume to an APFS Container which will export one APFS Volume
The target is the Journaled HFS+ volume "High Sierra" backed by the GPT partition disk3s3
Exiting conversion operations with error code -69546
Error: -69546: Conversion to APFS of a macOS system volume is only allowed in the OS Installer Environment

Any suggestions?

All fine except sleep (first hack in signature).

0YM1ZkS.png

LuCys-Mac-Pro:~ lucy$ diskutil ap convert disk3s3
Started APFS operation on disk3s3 High Sierra
Converting HFS Volume to an APFS Container which will export one APFS Volume
The target is the Journaled HFS+ volume "High Sierra" backed by the GPT partition disk3s3
Exiting conversion operations with error code -69546
Error: -69546: Conversion to APFS of a macOS system volume is only allowed in the OS Installer Environment

Any suggestions?

Boot with macOS High Sierra installer and run the command in terminal 

Thanks, but I can't do this because my drive isn't recognized in installer because of AppleAHCIPort, I explained it at post #64

Which of your hard disks is disk3s3? I assume that's the one that you are trying to convert to APFS. Right?

Sorry I'm confused, the installer doesn't recognize that HDD but in an installed version it's detected?

I installed it on an recognized hdd and then restore the unrecognized hdd from high sierra installed with disk utility then replaced AppleAHCIPort and it's working.

Sorry, it's a little complicated, I hope you understand now :D

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I installed it on an recognized hdd and then restore the unrecognized hdd from high sierra installed with disk utility then replaced AppleAHCIPort and it's working.

Sorry, it's a little complicated, I hope you understand now :D

Ok, I see, in that case you might be able to boot from the recovery partition on your WD HDD and use the terminal in the recovery mode. But since you didn't install the macOS directly on that hard disk you might be missing the recovery partition.

Ok, I see, in that case you might be able to boot from the recovery partition on your WD HDD and use the terminal in the recovery mode. But since you didn't install the macOS directly on that hard disk you might be missing the recovery partition.

I have recovery on it but the recovery partition won't boot(waiting for root device) and the recovery from the working hdd(Hitachi) won't recognize the WD HDD