Fury X and High Sierra

cdrhoek

50 posts in this topic

Just finished updating my Sierra to High Sierra.  Upgrade went smoothly, APFS is working and the system works well using onboard graphics (intel 4600).  My Fury X (which was working perfectly with Sierra)  does not have any acceleration.  I modified the X4100 kext to include 0x73001002, but no luck.  X4100 and and AMDcontroller 9300 are showing as loaded, but no acceleration.

Anyone gotten a Fury or a Nano working under High Sierra?  

EDITED:

Not sure what your issue is and if it will solve it, but some people reported the same issue among others with High Sierra using other AMD cards and it was fixed by rolling back to the Sierra kexts.
It's worth a shot:

AMDRadeonX4100.kext
IOAccelerator2D.plugin
IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext

Sierra_RollBack.zip

High Sierra is not allowing modified Kexts to load. I modified the X4100 kext to include 0x73001002 for the Fury X and x4100 will not load

I found the IOProbe score for the Fury card only matches the AMD5000kext but editing the 5000kext didn't work, so I poked around and found that there are 2 separate info.plist edits for the 5000 series of drivers.    Below are the 2 edited versions,   Right click on the kext and select "show package contents" open the folder and check the info.plists and edit your own to match or just use the whole kexts.    Just make sure to set aside copies of your working kexts beforehand.

Warning!    Check your frequency or clock speeds in a benchmark like Luxmark Ball to see what the reported GPU frequency is.   Be careful and read out the frequency when the app first starts and shut it off if its too high.   If its at 1630MHz then hit the close tab and stop the benchmark your running at Vega speeds.   If it runs at the normal 12,00-14,000MHz ( or whatever Fury is clocked at) then your probably good to go.

***Run kext wizard or equivalent before reboot.

Updated test kexts 10/16/17. Fury kexts HS 10.13.zip

Thanks.  Unfortunately the 4000 kext will not load either.  The modified 8000 controller did load. High Sierra also loads the 9300 controller by default

I did some checking, the 9300 and 4250 may be the combo to use, they both have the HBM and Fiji as well. Have you tried fake ID 0x67B01002?

I appreciate your help.

Do you mean adding 0x67B01002 to the info.plist for the 4250 controller, or injecting that id with Clover? I thought that the proper id for a Fury X was 0x73001002

Add it in clover boot manager screen use cursor arrows to go to "options" then " Graphics" and add it as fake ATI ID. 0x67B01002.

That is the proper ID 7300 but for example the RX 480 worked using RX 460 ID in clover, it may work its worth a quick try.

9300controllerkext has only 0x73001002 for ID, test these I added ID to 4250kext.    Only a few more to test.

9300-4350 kexts mod for Fury test 2.zip

Thanks for your help again.  Still no luck. Fake id appeared to have no effect as the graphics card is still recognized as a 7300

I installed the 4250 Kext (thanks for sending it).  It won't load.  It appears that High Sierra will not allow modified kexts.  I have SIP set to 0x67, but this does not appear to have an effect in High Sierra.

post-1205035-0-06193800-1505851444_thumb.jpg

Reboot and select repair partition (if you have it in clover menu screen). It should stop a re install screen, go to utilities tab and open terminal and type in without "quotation marks". " csrutil disable". It will message to reboot then boot normal.

Another isssue can be any fixes to the kexts prior need to br removed and replaced with original kexts. I've found that if I modify more than one kext for graphics ID it crashes and is incompatible. Only one fix at a time and replace with originals after testing. What version of HS are you running, my kexts are from the beta 9 version? If you have an older version they may not load for that reason as the build numbers may be incompatible.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your effort.  I am running version 17a362a.  I think that is the GM

I restored the original kexts and did a permissions repair.  I ensured that csrutil disable was entered.  I then installed only the modified 4250 kext.  It doesn't load and info on the kext says it is not loadable and has a kext signature validation error.

I think I might reinstall High Sierra and start over

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your effort.  I am running version 17a362a.  I think that is the GM

I restored the original kexts and did a permissions repair.  I ensured that csrutil disable was entered.  I then installed only the modified 4250 kext.  It doesn't load and info on the kext says it is not loadable and has a kext signature validation error.

I think I might reinstall High Sierra and start over

After a fresh install and updates make copies of the AMD kexts and put in a folder as spares to revert back to.

Text wrangler is a good free app for doing the edits or Xcode if you have that. The edits are fairly easy to do the key is running kext wizzard before reboot.

You can do it yourself and not remove the kext and hopefully avoid the issue.

Go to top tool bar and select finder, then drop to Preferences and open. Check the box next to Hard drives. Now your drives will show in desktop.

Click on drive to make edits and got to System>Library>Extensions and right click on the AMD4250kext. Select "show package contents". Open the contents folder and drag the info.plist to desktop. Right click on info.plist and open with text wrangler or Xcode and scroll to the area where you see the IDs 0x67FF1002, 0x67EF1002, etc.. and chenge one of those to 0x73001002 be careful not to change any of the spacings. Go to top tool bar and hit file>save.

Now drag the info.plist from desktop (edited) to the contents folder of the AMD4250kext and make sure you get the replace prompt, if you don't then hit cancel and retry it needs to go in the right place.

Run Kext wizzard, reboot and check.

No luck with the x4250 kext.  I managed to get the x4100 kext to show as loaded, even though the info on the kext showed that it was not loadable and had a signature validation error.  Still got no acceleration.  

I greatly appreciate your advice, but I'm not sure what Apple has done to make the Fury no longer compatible.  Maybe when the final version comes out there will be some changes that will allow the Fury to work.  I at least have a working system using the intel 4600 graphics.

No luck with the x4250 kext.  I managed to get the x4100 kext to show as loaded, even though the info on the kext showed that it was not loadable and had a signature validation error.  Still got no acceleration.  

I greatly appreciate your advice, but I'm not sure what Apple has done to make the Fury no longer compatible.  Maybe when the final version comes out there will be some changes that will allow the Fury to work.  I at least have a working system using the intel 4600 graphics.

Someone got a R9 390x working using only "Radeon" for Framebuffer.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone made any progress or have any ideas on how/if it might be possible to get the R9 Fury/Nano series working under High Sierra. I currently have a system running 10.12.6 with an R9 Nano and all 64CUs unlocked etc. While it's working fine I'd really like to be able to upgrade to HS at some point. Perhaps the drivers have changed with the 10.13.1 beta. Anyway I'd be happy to attempt an install and help out anyway I can :) 

No luck with the 10.13.1 beta.  Any edits to the kext plist files make the kext unloadable due to a kext signature validation error.  Apple provided the 9300 kext with the Fury ID, but provided no additional kexts tp provide acceleration.  I hope someone can get this to work.

No luck with the 10.13.1 beta.  Any edits to the kext plist files make the kext unloadable due to a kext signature validation error.  Apple provided the 9300 kext with the Fury ID, but provided no additional kexts tp provide acceleration.  I hope someone can get this to work.

With the Whatevergreenkext and lilu combo, the setup calls for not assigning a Framebuffer or assigning AMDFramebuffer, and setting fake ID 0x12345678. Use boot arg. -radbeta -lilubeta, and maybe kext_dev_mode=1. Has anyone tried the Whatevergreen method?

Hey Guys give these a try, I was poking around and found the IOProbe score of the Fury is the same as Vega, I looked Ito the other kexts and realized the 5000kext is the only match for the IOProbe score.    I looked further in to the 5000kext and its affiliates and discovered there are 2 info.plists to edit for the device ID 0x73001002..   The hardware kext is probably why this didn't work earlier.    Fingers Crossed!

Someone try these kexts in System/Library/Extensions and run Kext wizard or other kext utility to repair permissions and rebuild caches before reboot.

Fury kexts HS 10.13.zip

Thanks again for your help.  I tried this with no luck.  X5000HWServices.kext appears to be loading even though the info on the kext shows that it is not loadable.  AMDRadeonX5000.Kext is not loading.  High Sierra loads but there is no graphics acceleration.  I am booting WhateverGreen and Lilu using -radbeta -lilubeta

post-1205035-0-50359700-1508254943_thumb.jpg

post-1205035-0-33775800-1508254969_thumb.jpg

Try Framebuffer “ Maltese”. And maybe without lilu and green kexts. It met dependencies but it is hanging up. Is it booting but jet to black screen or does it crash?

Try to edit your vanilla kexts in your System I just remembered I didn’t remove the info.plist to the desktop to edit. You need to remove them to get proper signature. It was late last night when I did it.

No luck.  I've tried with WhateverGreen and Lilu and without.  I edited the plists and I get a signature validation error.  It appears to be booting to a black screen.  It shows up on another Mac, but I can't access it via screen sharing.  I get a black screen and a mouse cursor.

Maybe the next version of High Sierra will fix the problem.  Or maybe Apple has decided to eliminate support for Fiji based GPUs.

• Like 1

No luck.  I've tried with WhateverGreen and Lilu and without.  I edited the plists and I get a signature validation error.  It appears to be booting to a black screen.  It shows up on another Mac, but I can't access it via screen sharing.  I get a black screen and a mouse cursor.

Maybe the next version of High Sierra will fix the problem.  Or maybe Apple has decided to eliminate support for Fiji based GPUs.

It doesn't make sense though because they created the 9300kext with only the fury listed.     if it boots black screen it may just be a framebuffer issue.   Try Iriri, Kamarang, Japura.    These are the 3 framebuffers in the 5000kext.    Try with and without inject ATI.

So you edited vanilla kexts and dragged info.plists to desktop and it still gave the same error?    Did you boot into recovery and disable SIP in terminal?    High Sierra also has a different clover CSR disable requirement.   In Sierra it was 0x67, but now its 0x01FF or 0x03FF and the old 0x28.    In the clover boot screen check out System Preferences options.

It doesn't make sense though because they created the 9300kext with only the fury listed.     if it boots black screen it may just be a framebuffer issue.   Try Iriri, Kamarang, Japura.    These are the 3 framebuffers in the 5000kext.    Try with and without inject ATI.

So you edited vanilla kexts and dragged info.plists to desktop and it still gave the same error?    Did you boot into recovery and disable SIP in terminal?    High Sierra also has a different clover CSR disable requirement.   In Sierra it was 0x67, but now its 0x01FF or 0x03FF and the old 0x28.    In the clover boot screen check out System Preferences options.

I spent a bit of time a few months ago trying to fix this before just buying a vega.

The vega kexts all cross reference about 5 other kexts. The 9300 kext seems to be similar to the 10000 vega kext but missing the small suite of framebuffer kexts that the vega has - the 5000 series.

The presence of the 9300 kext stops the running of the old usual patched kext and instead points to kexts not yet developed for the Fury/Nano.

As I see it you have two options.

Try to modify the 10000 kext and the 5000 accelerating kexts to work with the fury (I think this might be really hard) or delete the 9300 kext and try to get the older patched kext to run, therefore pointing to the older framebuffers.

As far as I went with this was to delete the 9300 kext and copy the sierra kexts that ran my Nano, but HS is fussy with non signed modified kexts and it didn't work.

So I designed another house and got enough money for a Vega at that point :P

If there's a way of getting the Sierra kexts to work in HS that might be the best bet.

I spent a bit of time a few months ago trying to fix this before just buying a vega.

The vega kexts all cross reference about 5 other kexts. The 9300 kext seems to be similar to the 10000 vega kext but missing the small suite of framebuffer kexts that the vega has - the 5000 series.

The presence of the 9300 kext stops the running of the old usual patched kext and instead points to kexts not yet developed for the Fury/Nano.

As I see it you have two options.

Try to modify the 10000 kext and the 5000 accelerating kexts to work with the fury (I think this might be really hard) or delete the 9300 kext and try to get the older patched kext to run, therefore pointing to the older framebuffers.

As far as I went with this was to delete the 9300 kext and copy the sierra kexts that ran my Nano, but HS is fussy with non signed modified kexts and it didn't work.

So I designed another house and got enough money for a Vega at that point :P

If there's a way of getting the Sierra kexts to work in HS that might be the best bet.

Maybe they will add a 5100kext like they did with Sierra and the 4000kext, it turned into 4100kext, 4250kext etc...    If there is one good sign its that there is a 9300Controllerkext for the fury, they wouldn't put it in there without a reason.   Maybe it is part of a new "mretal 2" External GPU configuration.