Dell Precision Laptop with AMD w5170m; laptop functionality

yamahahornist

1 post in this topic

So my laptop has a dedicated AMD w5170m graphics card in it with device ID 6820 Revision ID 1002. And using the AMD4000X kext power value fixes and then injecting ATI with framebuffer (ebi, gari, or OPM) I get boot with full graphic acceleration. The system says the card is an AMD 7700 2GB (which is a desktop type card). The issue I am facing is while injecting those framebuffers my system thinks the built in display is a monitor plugged in over displayport. But if I don't inject a framebuffer and it uses the default one (system report shows AMD 7xxx, still acceleration though) the display tab says "Built in display". Now while injecting or not injecting, whenever I close my laptop screen physically the display will still stay fully on? Super weird; any help would be highly appreciated. I went through all the AMD7000 framebuffers and whenever it worked it always said it was a AMD 7700, never any mobile model. For reference sake, the AMD M370X in the Macbook Pro Mid 2015 has a device ID of 6821, while mine is 6820? I assumed my system would says M375x with acceleration, but what do I know. Also I have no idea what framebuffer that laptop would be using?