Alienware 15 R3 on OS X 10.12.6

rongu

154 posts in this topic

@pure.wisdom

With your help, I got Apple Hardware Video Acceleration working on aw13r3.

As for aw15, it did not work despite passing VDADecoderChecker test, I think is because the Intel IGPU was not turn on properly (G-SYNC feature most likely ).

I will try manual IGPU injection later when I know how.

I am grateful to you for your help, never learned so much before in such a short time. Thanks You !

install shiki and add boot flag shikigva=60

• Like 1

I don't have external monitor, I will try it next time. I see your laptop still depend on Intel igpu in VDADecoderChecker's report. 

Yes, was trying to get it to work on Intel, hoping to make use of it since it there. Nvidia work without issues

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the Dell 7567 Notebook:
Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ + HD630
dGPU 1050Ti 4GB

Following this tutorial I was able to install the Sierra system and the nVidia card until it appears as the attached image, I was able to install the webdriver but it did not work as it should, well I think this is a great advance but since I do not understand much of hackintosh I I could not go any further, even obliged by the tutorial.

Files:           Terminal Saved Output.txt         

CLOVER.zip         

1-png.304395

Hello,

dGPU 1050Ti 4GB

Following this tutorial I was able to install the Sierra system and the nVidia card until it appears as the attached image, I was able to install the webdriver but it did not work as it should, well I think this is a great advance but since I do not understand much of hackintosh I I could not go any further, even obliged by the tutorial.

CLOVER.zip         

1-png.304395

You should disable NVDA due your laptop uses optimus

You should disable NVDA due your laptop uses optimus

Unfortunately, our laptop HDMI port is connected to the Nvidia card so disabling it cuts us off to use that feature. As @igeeek mentioned, is there anything we can do to fix since we can't disable iGPU in BIOS?

You can disable it through Acpi.

If you see "Nvidia Chip Model" in System Profiler, it means that you have an Optimus card (as mentioned above).

With such gpus, VBIOS is located into the bios => problems with the initializing of the card (like: gioscreenlockstate, no vram detected,...).

OT: To @xela and @pure.wisdom: i'm a big fan of this thread. Thank you for sharing you experience with this Alienware.

• Like 1

Hello,

dGPU 1050Ti 4GB

CLOVER.zip         

1-png.304395

Hi,

Drop the attached into your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, that should disable your dGPU. I notice your audio is also not working, there is quite a few install guide on the internet for your laptop, google ?

SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml.zip

Alienware 13 R3 with OS X 10.12.6 ESP Update 2018-0109-00

The following kexts were updated:

- AppleALC.kext
- FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
- FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (unnecessary)
- FakePCIID.kext
- IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
- Lilu.kext
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Video Hardware Encoding added

- Install shiki.kext with boot argument: shikigva=60 (https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/issues/12)

Audio:

- Audio layout change to 11 (13 no longer work with latest AppleALC.kext for some reason) and install alc_fix. If audio does

not work consistently using ssdt injection, try installing HDAEnabler11.kext & remove injection in config.plist.

Power Management:

- HWP Value = 0x80003801 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/321021-guide-hwpintel-speed-shift-enable-with-full-power-management/page-4)

- OR install injector-freqVectorsEdit.sh

- LPC id added for Alienware13 & 15 into SSDT-LPC.aml

Outstanding issues: Can anybody help ?

- Graphics glitch on external display after wake from sleep (only on GTX 1060, 1070 is good)

- HDMI/Mini DisplayPort audio

Notes:

- Special Thanks to pure.wisdom for pointing out my errors and helping this little alien closer to macbookpro.

- Credits and thanks to those people in the community who developed patches, kexts, scripts and bootloaders!

Piker-Alpha,  RehabMan, Mieze,  Macmerc, Netkas and many more !!!

aw13r3_ESP 2018-0109-00.zip

injector-freqVectorsEdit.sh.zip

alc_fix.zip

HDAEnabler11.kext.zip

post-52862-0-83158900-1515518018_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Drop the attached into your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, that should disable your dGPU. I notice your audio is also not working, there is quite a few install guide on the internet for your laptop, google ?

thanks xela, I did this installation the part and my focus was only to try to activate the video I did not care to activate the audio, in another SSD I have the high sierra with everything active and working and with dGPU disabled.

I'm going to upload again this test system that I created and try to attach the ioreg here.

Alienware 13 R3 with OS X 10.12.6 ESP Update 2018-0109-00

The following kexts were updated:

- AppleALC.kext

- FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

- FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

- FakePCIID.kext

- IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

- Lilu.kext

- NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Video Hardware Encoding supported added

- Shiki.kext with boot argument: shikigva=60 (https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/issues/12)

Audio:

- Audio layout change to 11 (13 no longer work with latest AppleALC.kext for some reason) and install alc_fix.

- If audio does not work consistently using ssdt injection, try installing HDAEnabler11.kext & remove injection in config.plist.

Power Management:

- HWP Value = 0x80003801 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/321021-guide-hwpintel-speed-shift-enable-with-full-power-management/page-4)

- OR install injector-freqVectorsEdit.sh

- LPC id added for Alienware13 & 15 into SSDT-LPC.aml

Outstanding issues: Can anybody help ?

- Graphics glitch on external display after wake from sleep (only on GTX 1060, 1070 is good)

- HDMI/Mini DisplayPort audio

Notes:

- Special Thanks to pure.wisdom for pointing out my errors and helping this little alien closer to macboopro.

- Again, all credit goes to insanelymac, Piker-Alpha,  RehabMan, Cat Woman,  Macmerc & many more ...

- Attached kexts, patches or scripts are NOT my work, at most I alter them. Credits goes to original author

mentioned in.

remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and rename B0D4 to HDAU

• Like 1

remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and rename B0D4 to HDAU

I think B0D4 to HDAU is not going to help with HDMI audio. As I understand in my case (Alienware 2017 Kaby Lake series), HDMI audio is tie to Nvidia GPU, verified in windows 10 and HDMI/Mini Display port are direct physical port of Nvidia GPU . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks !

I think B0D4 to HDAU is not going to help with HDMI audio. As I understand in my case (Alienware 2017 Kaby Lake series), HDMI audio is tie to Nvidia GPU, verified in windows 10 and HDMI/Mini Display port are direct physical port of Nvidia GPU . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks !

HDMI auido is managed by Intel

• Like 1

HDMI auido is managed by Intel

Thanks ! one question, for Alienware 15 R3 G-Sync model where the video output (LCD Panel/HDMI/Mini Display Ports) are physically connected to the output of the discrete Nvidia GPU, bypassing the Intel GPU totally will have no hope using HDMI audio, correct ?

To have the definitive answer, you can download DPCIManager and take a screenshot at Status and PCI List pages. You can find DPCIManager by clicking the link in my signature (or on the web).

Attached are the snapshots of DPCIManager output from aw15GS. I will upload aw13 series when is offline.

Thanks !

post-52862-0-47055300-1515606829_thumb.jpeg

post-52862-0-71301200-1515606848_thumb.jpeg