(HELP) Installer won't boot 10.12.6, i7-4790S, Z97 chipset

frompdog

2 posts in this topic

I'm trying my first install of macOS on my Shuttle SH97R6 desktop (Z97 chipset, i7-4790S, only integrated HD4600) and using the 10.12.6 installer with Pandora and Clover EFI.  I have installed 10.12.6 before, on a Ryzen 1600 build, but it was a relatively smooth experience.  I do not have much experience troubleshooting hackintosh problems, so I'm not making much progress.

I'm able to build the installer disk successfully (on a 10.12.6 VM), and it boots to Clover where I can specify boot options.  When I try to boot the macOS installer it won't boot past the line of plusses '+++++++++++++++' in verbose mode.  I've tried various options and patches, but nothing seems to make a difference.  With -v -x and various debug checkboxes enabled, I can see Clover doing stuff before it gets to the plus line.

Once I see the plus line, the screen goes black and the machine reboots within about 5 sec.

I've tried installing from a USB stick as well as an internal hard drive, with the same symptoms.  I've tried following various step-by-step install guides, but they all seem to assume that the kernel will actually start and problems will have some useful diagnostics like log messages or a kernel panic.  Many thanks for the effort of those authors!

I've tried various config.plist found on hackintosh sites, and none of them have helped.  Some had lots of patches enabled and others are pretty stock.  I've gone through all of the Clover options in detail (many times) and tried to make educated guesses for each one, but I fear I'm too far out of my league.  I even tried some of RehabMan's laptop configs in desperation.

How do I go about troubleshooting this type of problem?  I tried lots of searches but can't seem to find the special nugget that will get me into a kernel boot.

Thanks!