Resizing partition on macOS.

Windows macos ssd drive resizing partition

Best Answer Oschły, 03 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Okay, I did everything by Paragon Camptune. Only one requirement is having Windows on second partition. Thanks for answers! :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Oschły

Oschły

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi! I want to resize my system's partitions, but I have a problem. Many small partitions like EFI, Windows MSR and Recovery and macOS Recovery are between that partitions on screenshot. Can I use easeus Partition Master to shrink Windows 10 partition, move this free space next to macOS partition by gparted and resize macOS partition by DU? My hackintosh is encrypted by FileVault 2.

My specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte P85-D3

GPU: GTX 750 Ti

CPU: i5-4670

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1666 MHz

Ethernet: Realtek rtl8111

Sound card: ALC887

Disks: GoodRam Iridium Pro 240GB and HDD 1TB 5400 RPM

OS: macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Windows 10 Creators Update.

Thanks for help! :)

Attached Files

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

What you aim to do is probably not achievable. Why? Because resizing usually applies to the bottom/end of the partitions: you shrink a partition by moving its end backwards, you extend it by moving its end forwards. There's never any issue shrinking a partition; that'll free up some space at its end that can be potentially re-used for a new partition. What you will probably find difficult (if possible at all) is to re-allocate this freed space to another existing partition.

Example:

1. your disk has Win as 1st partition and macOS as 2nd partition -> you can shrink Win partition with Windows Disk Manager tool and get some free space at its end. You cannot use DU to recover this free space and add it to the existing macOS partition.
  2. your disk has macOS as 1st partition and Win as 2nd partition -> you can shrink macOS partition with DU and get some free space at its end. You cannot use Windows Disk Manager to recover this free space and add it to the existing Win partition

OS X/macOs does support merging of partitions. Good news I hear you say. Well, watch out. All the merging I've seen and done consisted of merging a partition with a main one that preceded, not the other way around. For instance, some people want to suppress Recovery partitions and recover the disk space. This is done by reformatting the Recovery partition to HFS+ and then merge that empty partition with the main one that precedes it. Because, yes, Recovery partitions are created after the main partitions they're linked to, not before.

But tools such as Gparted might be able to workaround this all and be actually able to physically "move" a partition on disk and relocate its starting block.

Oschły

Oschły

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So it's possible without damaging OSes? I think only need to move this partition before MSR and Windows Recovery, because Mac shows his Recovery and System partition as one. I don't want to use CMD commands to shrink system's partition, because when I did it last time my system broken. I don't want to recover data from this shrinked space. I just need on macOS more space than Windows now.

Oschły

Oschły

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Best Answer

Okay, I did everything by Paragon Camptune. Only one requirement is having Windows on second partition. Thanks for answers! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows, macos, ssd, drive, resizing, partition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy