New JAS 10.4.8 and Dell E1505/6400 - Intallataion Help

dmk

57 posts in this topic

Since so many users of this Dell laptop are dual-booting or using OSX86, I want to give my help with what I've done so far to get the latest Jas DVD release working on this system.

I have this sytem dual-booting with Acronis, these instructions will explain how to put 10.4.8 from Jas on a new clean partition, after booting directly with the DVD.

My system specs:

Dell E1505/6400

Intel Core Duo Processor T2300E (2MB Cache/1.66 Ghz/667 Mh)

1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Intel GMA950 Graphics (working, QE/CI enabled)

100 GB SATA Hard Drive

Dell 1390 Wireless (not working)

Onboard networking (not working)

Sigmatel 9200 Audio (not working)

Sleep still not working

First up, you need an external monitor. The laptop screen will go black after the apple screen (though the install will still run). The new Jas DVD for some reason switches to a very odd display frequency when used in this laptop. Even with the external monitor, the display was still stretched and out of sync, and I could only see the top half. The mouse clicks were also geographically off (I had to click much higher than where buttons were, and guess where lower screen buttons were). BUT, I got through it through trial and error.

By the way, you probably know this, but hit ALT-F8 to get your external monitor to come up once your laptop screen goes black.

Here are the options I selected from Jas's extras:

- Jas 10.4.8 Combo Update

- INTEL SSE3 mifki kernel

- Intel ICH8 SATA support (wasn't sure if I needed this but I did it)

- 10.4.8 USB fix (I haven't tested USB yet tho)

- 10.4.8 GMA950 support (worked first time on boot at 1200x800x32, think this is as high as that card goes)

- 10.4.4 Loginwindow (again not sure if I needed it)

I went with Mifki's kernel because I heard it worked better with more compatiable systems like the E1505.

On a restart, graphics were fine, the GMA950 came up with QE and CI enabled. Walked through the rest of the install. Here's where network got a bit weird. Networking setup DID detect my wireless network and even was able to connect. However, when the system finally started, no airport networks are detected and wired network doesn't work either. These both worked by default in 10.4.7 without any patches. Are there any files/patches I can run to jump start my wired and wireless networking again?

I also ran the PowerManagement bundle and the battery meter is back and beautiful as always.

Mifi Kernel XBench (with all tests checked) - 101 (better than ever!)

DaemonES Kernel (thought this would be better bet) - 85

Have not yet tested Semthex but expect lower results with currently released kernel.

Bootup options (saved in boot.plist): cpus=1 idlehalt=0 fn=3

Yes, I am using just ONE CORE though both are enabled in BIOS. With both DaemonES and Mifki, I still got the shaky, jerky, slow behavior when attempting to use both cores. If anyone with this system has both cores stable, do share your solution.

So there you have it. Sound and sleep work as before, the biggest disappointment is no network. If that comes back, between that and the faster kernel, system should be better than ever.

Other users of this system, if you get further, please post in this thread so we can get our E1505's back to form!

Hope this helps.

I have full network, the only things not working is 9200 sound 'which doesn't work for anyone" and no sleep.

No special kext's needed for network.

It sounds like a nice solution, but I have no VGA monitor :)

So far there is no 2cpu solution for Merom :)

Sam,

Thanks will try adding the fsb=166 and see if it changes anything.

Neither of you have both cores working then, right?

Also, which kernel are you guys using? So far mifki seems fastest in tests for me. Maybe my kernel is messing up the network detect.

What wireless cards you guys have that are working?

Can you post complete XBench tests with all options on? Just curious on final result really.

Adding fsb=166 slowed the mifki xbench down to 85 from 101. Though I wonder if this is a good or bad thing (maybe it was just not reporting right before, I dunno). THis brought it in line with DaemonES, which I think may have an auto fsb adjustor.

Anyone?

Also, anyone know any kext(s) I can replace/re-kick off to get the wireless to re-detect?

I think he's full of it. I have seen no E14 E15 or E17 running dual cores at all yet, any version any kernel.

Anyone manage to get 1390 broadcom wireless working on a clean install of Jas 10.4.8 yet? Still missing it. I may have to go back to an earlier disc and patch up tho that sounds tougher.

I think he's full of it. I have seen no E14 E15 or E17 running dual cores at all yet, any version any kernel.

Anyone manage to get 1390 broadcom wireless working on a clean install of Jas 10.4.8 yet? Still missing it. I may have to go back to an earlier disc and patch up tho that sounds tougher.

Well I just got to work and saw this. I am not sure what to tell you but it is working fine. I have both cores running on my Dell E1405 Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz. I also have the Dell 1390 running just fine after I yanked out my Intel 3945. My entire system works and functions just as a MacBook minus the buttons in the front to control volume, and my sound (I know there is a fix for the buttons, but I don't care because what use are volume buttons without sound).

Oh -- and the sleep issue. I still haven't gotten around to that yet.

I will give you all some screen grabs tomorrow morning when I return home along with details of the kernel I am currently running. Anyone know of a switch I can run at terminal to spit out which kernel and version off hand? I'm almost positive I am running Semthex off of JaS' DVD.

I think he's full of it.

Honestly, what would I have to gain from lying about something like this?

:D

The problem is with Core 2 Duo and semthex1 dose not work for me.

Joe -- you are correct. I was reading way to fast and when I read DMK's posting, I assumed others were also trying to get their Core Duo's to work correctly. I must have missed the number "2" in there.

My mistake.

:)

Surfer, my bad too. Sorry I was having a bad day. :angel:

It is indeed a Core 2 Duo issue.

So your 1390 worked right off the bat when you installed off the new JAS 10.3.8 DVD? Maybe cuz you installed Semthex instead of Mifki...Hmmm...

The wireless problem is still eluding me. Then again I can't even get the wired ethernet to work in the new JAS either. I may have to go back a version or two until the next release, sadly.

Surfer, did you yank the intel wireless after you installed the new Jas, or did you already have your 1390 in when you installed from the disc? Did you upgrade or clean install?

It's very intresting to following you people, but have you tried latest Version of nebu yet? Core 2 as well as Core was reported to work very well, overwise it is advised to recheck your BIOS settings and stuff. If you still feel something is wrong it would be nice to report a full featured bug report via teh website. Thank you!

Thanks Semthex.

I just got the latest from IRC and still can't enable both CPUs. My machine is a Centrino Core Duo (not a Core 2 Duo) with the following boot options (using latest IRC kernel):

-fpm cpus=2 idlehalt=0 fn=3

With cpus=2 I get video/dock/mouse stutters and slowness (you can tell right away on the pinwheel in the boot screen), cpus=1 fixes it as it always did.

Full specs are in the first post. Still no wireless though that is some odd kext thing with the new Jas build. Other than that everything else works as it did in earlier builds (no sleep/sound).

Any ideas sir? Am I using the fpm option right by putting it in the kernel flags line as "-fpm"? It didn't seem to matter whether I put that in or not.

So your 1390 worked right off the bat when you installed off the new JAS 10.3.8 DVD? Maybe cuz you installed Semthex instead of Mifki...Hmmm...

The wireless problem is still eluding me. Then again I can't even get the wired ethernet to work in the new JAS either. I may have to go back a version or two until the next release, sadly.

Surfer, did you yank the intel wireless after you installed the new Jas, or did you already have your 1390 in when you installed from the disc? Did you upgrade or clean install?

I first installed the JaS 10.4.8 DVD having to do the "Alt-F8" trick so that I could see my screen with a VGA connection to an outside monitor. Once I was able to see it, I completed the install. Intel SSE3, GM950, Semthex Kernel, and the Wireless Drivers. (Had to have the second core disabled in the BIOS for the install).

Once the install completed and I rebooted, I had to make some modifications to my GRUB menu because my system is a quad boot.

After that was done, I re-enabled the second core in the BIOS and booted into OSX. I was getting the stuttering and such so I disabled it again. Reboot and made the "CPU=1" change.

I then loaded the most up to date Semthex kernel using a USB key from another computer. Restarted and enabled the second core. System looked good. When I checked "About This Mac", I only saw one core. So I removed the "CPU=1" flag and restarted... wa la... Duo Core.

about-me.jpg

I had no battery icon in the top right corner but resolved that with some old postings. I also had no ethernet. I resolved that too with some old postings. The wireless did not work as I still had the Intel 3945ABG installed. The next day my Dell 1390 (Broadcom chipset) arrived and I installed it. It started working immediately.

So now, the only things that do not work are sleep, front buttons, and sound.

Here is my Kernel Info:

ryans-computer:/Users/ryan root# uname -a

Darwin ryans-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Fri Nov 3 20:57:08 GMT 2006; dima:xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

ryans-computer:/Users/ryan root#

Yes Surfer, please post up your specs!

I have a Core Duo 1.66 Ghz and can't get the Dell wireless or both cores working.

Dell E1405 (BIOS A05) - T2500 Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, Dell Bluetooth 350, Dell 1390 (Wireless), Intel GMA950 @ 1440x900, 2GB RAM, DVD-RW

My experience around the inspiron 1505/6400 with 10.4.6/7 (best experience so far)

- GMA 950 can handle dual screen up to 1920x1200 a 24" dell and 1680x1050 the 15,4" laptop screen.

everthing works great.

- network works great unless you restart from windows then the nic won't start.

Only if I put windows in hybernation the nic works in osx86. (silly)

- Sound sigmatel 9000 never worked.

- cpu dual core cpu's never worked with 2 cores, never come out of sleep (gives a blank screen)

witch is a sad thing.

I would like to help to get 10.4.8 running on this system to fix these problems.

Update : Thnx SurferSd for that quick update, finally 2 cores enabled that's amazing.