ASUS P5B + E6400 & JaS 10.4.8 ReLoaded

Bogdan_Solga

65 posts in this topic

All -

Hopefully someone can help me out here, I'm failing miserably getting OSX working on my system. Current configuration: P5B (regular), C2D 6400, 2 SATA drives on ICH8 ctrl, X1900. I'm currently dual booting XP and Vista, with a 3rd partition on the drive for OSX if I can get it working.

I've been trying JaS 10.4.6 and more recently 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only releases, similar problems with both:

If I boot from the DVD, it goes nowhere.

If I boot from the DVD on a USB drive (in -v mode) I get about 2 minutes in and then get

"SAM Multimedia" READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0x11, ASCQ=0x00". This repeats itself for awhile.

I've also tried getting it running in VMWare (on Vista) and no matter what I try (virtual, partition, entire drive, different LAN settings, etc) it gives me:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Again its the P5B, not deluxe or -E so I don't have the ICH8R chipset.

Thanks in advance.

narf003 I've just download the manual for the P5B (standart version)

you have the ICH8 on board (P965) and the JMICRON JMB363 in fact to manage your installation the way to do it is the same as for the P5B Deluxe and P5B Deluxe WIFI

first

the IDE option must be set to AHCI for all in the BIOS (if your windows OS were installed in IDE mode you should install them again in AHCI mode or each time you switch between OSX and former installed OS you have to select the IDE mode or AHCI mode in the bios)

second

you need to install the OSX from a drive connected to the AHCI port not the IDE one connected to JMICRON chipset

solution is to have a IDE to SATA converter or (like me) to have a SATA DVD reader (Samsung does it, same price as a IDE DVD Bruner)

....In the first install attempt I selected Semthex's kernel and the fixes for USB, ICH8, Azalia and 10.4.4 "About this Mac" window. Result - the system was working fine, but:...

...In the second attempt - I selected Mifki's kernel and patches for ICH8, Azalia and 10.4.4 "About this Mac" window...

Hi all.

I have a question that can be a bit dumb, but in realy I dont know/understand how to do it... I am a recent "switcher" (at home have my new iMac20, at work a dual boot working Hackintosh 10.4.6 updated to 10.4.7), I am a developer (windows platforms) from about 8years. but this is killing me. fisrt a summary of what I got:

I currently have a Dual Boot XP/Mac

Have JaS 10.4.7 (updated from JaS 10.4.6)

MB Asus P5B P965/G965

Core2Dual E6400 Conroe 2.13Ghz

BUS 266 / FBS 1066

2Gb Ram Dual Channel PC2-5300

PCI Express / ATI X300 128mb

1 - Sata 250 gb (first partition for mac)

2 - Sata DVDRW with adaptor (works cool)

3 - Sata 160gb (first partition boot XP)

4 - Sata 80Gb

I tryied to install the DVD JaS 10.4.8 reseed (SS3 intel only)

1rst atemps install ok, but on 1rst boot I get some message that cant find boot device. Tried many ways configuring in BIOS and fisical disks position, but no change...

2nd tryed selecting other options on install

sometimes after first boot it resets and biginning of darwin.

Now the question, how do I change the kernel? 'Bogdan_Solga' said that tested with other kernels. I was trilling to teste with Mifki's since it has good results...

-Is the change made went making F8 at boot install DVD? does the DVD came with the other kernels?

-Do I make the install, then boot the DVD and edit the apple boot list?

...help.

I was very interessed on installing this version, because works better on my graphics cards, I have less or even none of those square mouse errors on screen.

----

Currently:

Dual Boot XP/Mac

JaS 10.4.7 (updated from JaS 10.4.6)

MB Asus P5B P965/G965

Core2Dual E6400 Conroe 2.13Ghz

BUS 266 / FBS 1066

2Gb Ram Dual Channel PC2-5300

PCI Express / ATI X300 128mb

1 - Sata 250 gb (first partition for mac)

2 - Sata DVDRW with adaptor (works cool)

3 - Sata 160gb (first partition boot XP)

4 - Sata 80Gb

(no sound, generic VGA 128mb)

I've got the same troubble

till i let my bios switch on Enhanced mode

after i change for AHCI and good reboot

don't know if the P5B standart edition handdle the AHCI mode

try to look foward in bios

after that you will have an issue with the xp install

if you didn't used the AHCI mode to install

the only way is to install windows again with the good bios option (AHCI)

my master OS HD is plug on socket sata1 the other HD don't bother

other possibility

don't forget that the DVD CD driver must be in sata or with an IDE SATA converter

i use directly a SATA DVD burner than the problem is solved

first i tried to install from an ide one

the installation is ok but no reboot

device not found....

summerize: HD on SATA1 BIOS on AHCI DVD or CD drive on SATA

install option just read my posts, i explain what i used to manage installation

Edited by Alexiase

Hi everyone,

I need some help/pointers with installation of Jas Mac 10.4.8 on Asus P5B.

Reading throughout this forum I understood that there are two versions of JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only, I believe I have a good one.

I made it through installation, restarted and got stack on Mac start up screen and after a few minutes crossed circle appears nothing more happens.

I know there is certain sequence and settings to be respected in order to get it working and I guess I do something wrong please help me to find out what it is.

Here is info on my hardware:

MB Asus P5B, CPU Celeron® 2.53GHz Ram 512MB, 3 HDs (one IDE 40 GB), (2 SATA2, one 250GB on first SATA socket (color pink), the other one 80GB on second SATA socket (color pink), I read on this forum that OSX installation HD should be connected to black SATA socket but the Mac 10.4.8 installation utility doesn't see the 80GB HD if it's plugged to

black SATA socket. There is also IDE DVD burner, and external USB burner the one used to boot up Jas 10.4.8

So what I did: 80GB HD Was brand new I used Mac disk utility to format it half Juliet extended half MSDOS. In BIOS it was set first HD to boot. Installation went well after reboot got stack on MAC logo. Second attempt in bios SATA from IDE changed to AHCI mode, used Mac disk utility to reformat 80GB HD to 3 three parts, Joliet extended, MSDOS, and 10MB free space. Installation went OK after reboot got stack on MAC logo again. Replugged 80GB to SATA socket 3 and 4 (black) turned on, Acronis OS Selector took over and showed 2 two unknown OS, (besides WinXP and SUSe) chosen one of unknown OS result "got stack on Mac start up screen and after a few minutes crossed circle appears nothing more happens", chosen the other unknown OS result same as if you start your PC with none system floppy disk.

I'm new to this so have no idea what and where can go wrong, would appreciate any help.

Oh there is one thing in AHCI mode which settings it should be enhanced, standard, disabled? I think I tried it on enhanced and standard.

Hay guys,

After trying to install Jas 10.4.8 for sometime it looks like J have finally succeded. I'm saying "looks like" because after switching from loading gray screen with an apple in the center to Mac OS GUI the monitor goes black complayning about unsupported resolution. This must be due to my PCI video card Radeon 7200, PCIex16 is still available. Anyway I checked authentic MAC systems and noticed that ATI Radeon X1600 and NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT are used. So the question is if I buy chip x1600 or 7300GT will they be natevlly supported by OS without need to mess up with drivers? Another problem I want to reinstall XP in AHCI mode but instalation CD doesn't see either one of my SATA HD (western digital) Has anyone succided installing MAC OS on SATA via IDE setting?

By the way in AHCI mode only from 2 pink SATA connectors MAC OS can see HDs.

V.

Edited by vasiliy

• 2 weeks later...

First happy new year everybody

All right

Vasiliy

For the video card it's supported natively for X1600 and 7300GT

but you should after reboot install special driver for both

You'll see window have strange effect before you install new driver ....

for 7300 try to search Titan (Natit)....

Alexiase

First happy new year everybody

All right

Vasiliy

For the video card it's supported natively for X1600 and 7300GT

but you should after reboot install special driver for both

You'll see window have strange effect before you install new driver ....

for 7300 try to search Titan (Natit)....

Alexiase

I should be receiving Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600XT Ult 256MB PCI Express X16 next week. Will mention how it works and might ask some "?" about proper drivers.

[...]

Now the question, how do I change the kernel? 'Bogdan_Solga' said that tested with other kernels. I was trilling to teste with Mifki's since it has good results...

-Is the change made went making F8 at boot install DVD? does the DVD came with the other kernels?

-Do I make the install, then boot the DVD and edit the apple boot list?

...help.

[...]

You can change the kernel from the Terminal, while running OSX, there's no problem... First get the new kernel (look for links on this forum), either Semthex's or Mifki's kernel, and then copy it over the existing kernel, and afterwards repair permissions for the mach_kernel file (I think it's 644, but I'm not sure... ).

It can be done using:

cd /

sudo cp /where/the/new/kernel/is/mach_kernel .

sudo chmod 644 mach_kernel

sudo sync

sudo reboot

It should work, it worked for me many times...

hi!

what do i need to do if my comuter, as people up in the thread described, reboots unasked after going through the first 6 lines of code in the installation?

i have jas 10.4.8 first seed i guess, i downloaded it 3 days ago. is there any update or patch that i have to apply?

thanks!

Lot of threads hours of reading i'm nearly a skinhead

time for me to explain how i got it

material:

Motherboard P5B Deluxe

Proc: CORE 2 DUO E6600

video ASUS 7300GT

HD seagate 320Go SATA2 16Mo+ 2* 400 Seagate SATA2 16Mo+300Go Maxtor SATA 8Mo

2x 1204 DDR2 PC5400

important: DVD Burner samsung a sata one (no ide for me)

in bios turn IDE to AHCI

Jmicron is set to disable

install dvd Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 INtel only (re seed one publication 3 november i guess)

first using partition magic to get 5 partition on my 320Go

but unable to get the conversion from FAT32 to HSF+ grrrr

then I get all partition from DiskUtil during Mac osx install

the windows partitions set to MS DOS mode

severals try with semthex kernel mif.. one ...

finally i chosse semthex with combo update and sata support for Intel and Azilia

after reboot no sound bad graphical performances no usb no network

time to work hard dude!!!

for USB with Jas patch (usb fix) nothing to do without everything ok then for me i did'nt install USB fix patch

for sound just search for Conroe Mac Thread call Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 sound is now 2 speakers out nothing input but i don't care (ReLoad thread call Asus P5B is fine too)

for graphical card issue with nvidia 7300GT i use titan.kext just have a look on macgeek blog

CI/QE ok

and at least network:

there is onboard 2 adapters one PCI and a PCIex

the lower on is working in 1Gb mode after:

installing RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg not good

then i found m.musashi thread calls Marvell Yukon 8001 - the driver

install version 0.2d reboot

then network was detected but blinking ip adress

then install again RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg reboot and everything is fine the second

onboard card is seen as Yucon Lite

It's really a race

may be I can tune up a little my PC but everything is working

I will install now XP and do the multiboot after this

good luck everybody

hi!

i have done the same with ahci and sata dvd and stuff. i have the 10.4.8 jas first seed, but should get the reseed today.

on the hd i want to install to, i already have 40 gb win partition, formatted with ide (installation wouldn't work with ahci!). the other 40 gigs are not partitioned.

how do i proceed from here if i want to create a mac partition, but want to make sure that this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=269936

doesn't happen again??

Lot of threads hours of reading i'm nearly a skinhead

time for me to explain how i got it

material:

Motherboard P5B Deluxe

Proc: CORE 2 DUO E6600

video ASUS 7300GT

HD seagate 320Go SATA2 16Mo+ 2* 400 Seagate SATA2 16Mo+300Go Maxtor SATA 8Mo

2x 1204 DDR2 PC5400

important: DVD Burner samsung a sata one (no ide for me)

in bios turn IDE to AHCI

Jmicron is set to disable

install dvd Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 INtel only (re seed one publication 3 november i guess)

first using partition magic to get 5 partition on my 320Go

but unable to get the conversion from FAT32 to HSF+ grrrr

then I get all partition from DiskUtil during Mac osx install

the windows partitions set to MS DOS mode

severals try with semthex kernel mif.. one ...

finally i chosse semthex with combo update and sata support for Intel and Azilia

after reboot no sound bad graphical performances no usb no network

time to work hard dude!!!

for USB with Jas patch (usb fix) nothing to do without everything ok then for me i did'nt install USB fix patch

for sound just search for Conroe Mac Thread call Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 sound is now 2 speakers out nothing input but i don't care (ReLoad thread call Asus P5B is fine too)

for graphical card issue with nvidia 7300GT i use titan.kext just have a look on macgeek blog

CI/QE ok

and at least network:

there is onboard 2 adapters one PCI and a PCIex

the lower on is working in 1Gb mode after:

installing RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg not good

then i found m.musashi thread calls Marvell Yukon 8001 - the driver

install version 0.2d reboot

then network was detected but blinking ip adress

then install again RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg reboot and everything is fine the second

onboard card is seen as Yucon Lite

It's really a race

may be I can tune up a little my PC but everything is working

I will install now XP and do the multiboot after this

good luck everybody

hi!

i have done the same with ahci and sata dvd and stuff. i have the 10.4.8 jas first seed, but should get the reseed today.

on the hd i want to install to, i already have a 40 gb win partition, formatted with ide (installation wouldn't work with ahci!). the other 40 gigs are not partitioned.

how do i proceed from here if i want to create a mac partition, but want to make sure that this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=269936

doesn't happen again??

my way would be to use acronis (or something else) to make a dual boot-drive. then set ide to ahci in the bios, get a disc utility and format the unpartitioned space in fat32, setting it to active and primary (question: does that compromise the other win partition when IT wants to boot?). then let the reseed go...

the other stuff which has potential for errors should be solvable through kext-installation and kernel exchange i learned now.

where do i apply these? can i only install/change these things when an installation has finished? or do i have to take the iso and patch it? i read a lot already, but i got no real clue on that....

help is greatly admired....

Hi...

I'm new to the forum...

May I know if I can get a copy with fully patched with ASUS P5B Deluxe version...?

Since I've sucessfully installed on JMicron-based method but cannot run the OS...

I've sucessfully loaded AHCI-based system but HD always flashed even not work... :)

Can anyone give me a hand...?

Thanks for all help in advance. :rolleyes:

netleave

Hi everyone,

I finally received Sapphire 1600XT. unfortunately still can't see OS GUI. Here what I get.

If DVI output is connected Monitor doesn't see any signal.

If VGA output is connected I get following VGA output pic

If DVI output is connected with adapter to VGA I get following DVI output with adapter pic

After couple of minutes I see only this blue screen pic

Please let me know if there is solution.

Thanks

Vasilii

post-67980-1168700654_thumb.jpg

post-67980-1168700663_thumb.jpg

post-67980-1168700724_thumb.jpg

Edited by vasiliy

Hello Vasilii,

Reinstall the JAS 10.4.8 ISO, (Erase the existing partition first).

Select the "10.4.8.ATI.Radeonx1x00.pcie.support" package under "Support for the most common hardware".

Deselect "Titan nVidia and ATI Support".

Connect the monitor through a DVI - D-Sub adapter to the video card.

Thanks for answering Maranello,

I did reinstall OS, in custom installation I put a check mark next to JaS 10.4.8 Package, But there is no way to select what to install and what not to install from that package. May be the DVD I downloaded from eMule is not the one called reloaded? How to check?

Vasilii

This is the Custom Install screen on the latest release ("JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3" + patch "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p").

post-75302-1169064545_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot for info. I got JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3" + patch "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p.

Initially had problems with "waiting for boot device" but when switch to AHCI, installation went fast and smooth.

Both outputs of my video card work (DVI works with VGA adapter no wide screen setting). I use VGA output, it allows me to set monitor resolution to 1440x900

Next thing is to get sound and internet working.

Vasiliy