No QE/CI on HD 4000 after installing and removing Play on Mac (XQuartz X11)

redbull02

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, here with a very unexpected issue out of the blue. I have a fully working OS X Sierra (10.12.3) with an Ivy bridge CPU with HD 4000 (using ig platform ID 0x01620005 in Clover) and had full graphics acceleration (Intel HD 4000 recognized and 1500 MB of shared video memory recognized in System information). After installing play on Mac and the required XQuartz X11 and rebooting, I no longer have graphics QE/CI. I removed the Quartz app and deleted some file in opt/X11folder on the system drive to get rid of it but it seems that it's interfering  with the loading of the appropriate graphics kexts (I can see the HD 4000 IGX under system information but no graphic kexts are loaded - i.e.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext, AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer.kext, etc.). I didn't make a full hard drive backup of my system so now I'm really stuck and I'm not very experienced at Hackintosh builds (this was my first succesful build). Here's my IOReg in case you need it. Let me know what else I can provide and I'll post it ASAP.

Thanks

my IOReg-1.zip

Send me Ernest’s iMac.zip

nope, just selected the IDs available in clover configurator (the graphics section) from the dropdown menu under HD 4000 (desktop) and the only one that gave me the proper amount of shared video RAM (1500 MB as opposed to 4 or 7 MB) was the 1620005 (the two 166000 didn't work). But I'll give the 1620003 ID a try and see what happens. I still think the problem might be cuased by Play on Mac + Quartz X11 program because I literally just turned on the computer, installed those programs, restarted a few minutes later and then suddenly lost graphics acceleration. 

Is there a way to just revert all the previous kexts or system configurations? 

Well, I tried your suggested ID but no dice. Oddly, these settings fixed the issue:

went back to edit my config.plist in CLOVER configurator and tried these things in the order listed:

1. (1) intel gfx DSDT fix (ACPI/DSDT/Fixes/FIX_INTELGFX_100000)
  2. (2) under Devices I added a Fake ID for Intel GFX (0x01628086). This is how I came about that number: when I looked at the clover BOOT.log, I noticed a line that said "Fake ID Intel GFX: not set" and then it said "beginning Intel GFX auto-detection with ACPI injection ==> Found FakeID Intel GFX = 0x01628086 ==> Intel GFX revision = 0x9". So that gave me a clue that I needed to enter that Fake device ID under the Device section in Clover (have no clue if that helped though)
    1. BTW these are the exact text lines from BOOT.log:

360:418  0:000  Intel HD Graphics 4000 [8086:0162] :: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x2,0x0)

360:418  0:000    Found Full HD Display - 16:9 :: Width=1920 Height=1080

360:418  0:000    AAPL00,DualLink = 1

360:418  0:000    FakeID Intel GFX: not set

360:418  0:000    ig-platform-id = 0x01620003

360:418  0:000    Beginning Intel GFX auto-detection with ACPI injection

360:418  0:000    Found FakeID Intel GFX = 0x01628086

360:418  0:000  Intel GFX revision  = 0x9

360:550  0:131   codec not detected

360:550  0:000  stringlength = 2996

360:550  0:000  CurrentMode: Width=1920 Height=1080

360:550  0:000  Beginning FSInjection

1. then I went into graphics, clicked "Inject Intel" and selected the same ig platform ID that has been working before I had this issue (01620005). 
  2. Restarted and I had graphics acceleration again: system information shows the HD 4000 IGX with 1500 MB and when I looked at the loaded kexts I once again saw all the relevant video kexts loaded:
  • AppleGraphicsControl
  • AppleGraphicsDeviceControl
  • AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
  • AppleIntelFramebufferCapri
  • AppleIntelHD4000Graphics

I've attached a new IOreg to see if you can spot any difference. I've also attached an old CLOVER config.plist (when I had the issue) and a new one (after being resolved) to see if there's anything off (all I could notice was the ACPI intel gfx fix and the Fake Device ID for the Intel GFX). Finally, I've attached the clover boot log just in case.

Send me Ernest’s iMac.zip

config (old - not working).plist.zip

config (new - fixed).plist.zip

clover boot log.rtf

Hey Allan, so sorry for the late reply, been swamped with work. I gave your plist a try but same results, graphics kexts just randomly stop being loaded after a few reboots. I then went back and replaced your plist back again with mine and tried to edit mine just to see what works: I simply removed all the strings under Graphics (the other ones were like ATI = NO; Intel = NO; Nvidia = NO; NvidiaSingle = NO) and just left the Inject => Intel = YES and then left the same ig platform ID that I've been using (0x01620005) and after a few reboots it works - graphic kexts are loaded properly. I'll see if this holds up though. 

I'm thinking that there's a glitch with the current version of the CLOVER bootloaded that I'm using and that it's not properly recognizing my config.plist or some other system parameter is intermittently preventing the graphics kexts from being loaded. Do you know if there's a way to take a look at the kernel loading logs to see what's happening (like a way to read the verbose mode text output)?

Cool, thanks, I'll add the debug option and take a look at the log and see what I can find out. So far the graphics kexts are loading ok and the system is running ok. 

I think I might leave the thread open a little longer just in case someone else pitches in and shares their experience about this glitch. IDK if the info I've provided (ioReg and loaded kext list) is enough to debug this issue. Do you think I should post the Clover debug log?

• Like 1