Can't get graphics working on an EVGA GTX 960.

dannymozzer_

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently got my Hackintosh setup with Sierra. The specs are:

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 Motherboard

Intel Core i5 6500

8 GB DDR4 Memory

Simple HDD boot

EVGA GTX 960 (Problem)

It boots fine, but until I install any driver, (I've tried loads of versions), it won't boot. It just boots to verbose and stops, or sometimes, the screen will go black and it will restart. So basically, Graphics drivers really stop me from booting. But I need them because the performance of the OS is pretty bad because of it. (Sort of)

Can someone give me some guidance, or link me to an appropriate driver or something?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi,

Intel Core i5 6500

8 GB DDR4 Memory

Simple HDD boot

EVGA GTX 960 (Problem)

It boots fine, but until I install any driver, (I've tried loads of versions), it won't boot. It just boots to verbose and stops, or sometimes, the screen will go black and it will restart. So basically, Graphics drivers really stop me from booting. But I need them because the performance of the OS is pretty bad because of it. (Sort of)

Can someone give me some guidance, or link me to an appropriate driver or something?

Thanks,

Daniel

Upload EFI Folder

Hi,

Intel Core i5 6500

8 GB DDR4 Memory

Simple HDD boot

EVGA GTX 960 (Problem)

Thanks,

Daniel

Take a look at my guide for macOS Sierra on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 under Graphics section it might help you solve your problem. The guide was tested on an EVGA 1070 and a Gigabyte GTX 960

But in a nutshell you'll either need to have Lilu.kext and nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in the following patch: /EFI/Clover/kext/10.12 or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

OR the following patch under "Kernel and Kext Patches" to avoid the black screen issue:

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find: ba050000 00
Replace: ba000000 00
Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696

You might need to install EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi and RC Scripts installed for nvidia web driver to load successfully and you will also need the following flags:

Select these items: Under the "Boot" section: nada_drv=1 and under the "System Parameters" NvidiaWeb

here is the list of nvidia web drivers download the one that is compatible with there version of the macOS you are using.

Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (Thanks to @fantomas1 for the updated list)

Good Luck :)

Take a look at my guide for macOS Sierra on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 under Graphics section it might help you solve your problem. The guide was tested on an EVGA 1070 and a Gigabyte GTX 960

But in a nutshell you'll either need to have Lilu.kext and nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in the following patch: /EFI/Clover/kext/10.12 or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

OR the following patch under "Kernel and Kext Patches" to avoid the black screen issue:

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicyFind: ba050000 00Replace: ba000000 00Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696
You might need to install EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi and RC Scripts installed for nvidia web driver to load successfully and you will also need the following flags:

Select these items: Under the "Boot" section: nada_drv=1 and under the "System Parameters" NvidiaWeb

here is the list of nvidia web drivers download the one that is compatible with there version of the macOS you are using.

Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (Thanks to @fantomas1 for the updated list)

Good Luck :)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to boot with the Nvidia icon, and with the custom EFI clover folder you attached on your Gigabyte post.

But there is still no graphics performance, everything keeps having a weird blinds effect, and icons have glitching black squares, etc. its functional when not doing much, but it's a bit annoying.

But thank you, your post at least helped me boot. And it's in a native resolution too.

Edit: If I choose to boot using web drivers, it loads up to the first image attached (IMG_0618) and restarts. If I don't enable web drivers, it boots but I get the weird blinds effect, as shown in image 2. (IMG_0632)

post-2213942-0-54375800-1502446713_thumb.jpg

post-2213942-0-01724600-1502446762_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to boot with the Nvidia icon, and with the custom EFI clover folder you attached on your Gigabyte post.

But there is still no graphics performance, everything keeps having a weird blinds effect, and icons have glitching black squares, etc. its functional when not doing much, but it's a bit annoying.

But thank you, your post at least helped me boot. And it's in a native resolution too.

Edit: If I choose to boot using web drivers, it loads up to the first image attached (IMG_0618) and restarts. If I don't enable web drivers, it boots but I get the weird blinds effect, as shown in image 2. (IMG_0632)

Send me your config.plist remove serial number and MLB and I will take a loot at it.

In the second image you don't have acceleration which means that the web drivers are not loading. in the first image it's probably because of the iGPU/iGFX enabled. make sure you have your EVGA as the primary and disable the intel GFX and try again.

Well as I stated, I've used the same Config.plist file that is in the "GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Beta Release DSDT and SSDT Version.zip" that you attached on your tutorial. So there is nothing different that I changed except using "-v" to boot into verbose. Also, I followed your BIOS instructions and disabled the iGPU/iGFX. So at this point, this is why I'm confused. As I've followed loads of guides with the same stuff, and Graphics don't work right.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am having exactly same issue. Sierra 10.12.6 Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, video: EVGA GTX 960... Tried web drivers, this fix: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-gtx-960-issue-after-clean-install-of-sierra.203301/ and few other... Nothing seems to be working.

Were you able to resolve the issue?

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2018 at 8:53 PM, kosta11111 said:

Hi, I am having exactly same issue. Sierra 10.12.6 Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, video: EVGA GTX 960... Tried web drivers, this fix: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-gtx-960-issue-after-clean-install-of-sierra.203301/ and few other... Nothing seems to be working.

Were you able to resolve the issue?

If you still have problems. Try using a different output. 

I had thesame problem earlier in my hackintoshing and i found DVI on my gtx560 worked but it was slow as in 7fps in cinebench. When i connected to HDMI then everythings perfect. Gets me in 71fps