Success with High Sierra on i9-7900x X299 GA Aorus 9, Radeon Vega

190 posts in this topic

What were your temps at stock before delidding versus after? I just got my 7900X working (ASRock X299 board) and stock temps seem fine with my H115i, but not anything higher. I am trying to decide if I should delid as well. 

How did you delid btw? I see there is some "kit" when I google.

By the way, for some reason I have to use one of Pike's kernel patches of XCPM_core_scope (just NOP'ed) in order to boot, otherwise it is cpus=1 land, even after changing a million BIOS settings. 

Once I have that one patch, then BIOS can be at default settings and I get nice clean consistent performance at max multiplier.

I used the Rocket 99. It works great and if you follow the youtube tutorials it feels safe and easy.

Temps were down about 8deg on idle and 20deg under load. I tried it at my previous stable clock of 4.7 and it maxed out at 65deg, so even if you don't want high clocks I think it's worthwhile.

I heard that some Asus users need pikes XCPM too. Do you have good speedsteps?

I need little help. I instaled 10.13.1 on my custom machine: gigabyte X299 aorus gaming 3, i7 7820X, GTX 980Ti. I used clover from first page of this post. Problem is: when I played video without audio, works fine. When I played audio file, works. fine. When I played video with audio, machine crashes. Any idea? 

You could try this one. It changes from time to time.

CLOVER.zip

The VoodooTSCSync.kext is set up for my 10 core chip so you might like to change that...

• Like 2

Do you have the onboard audio working?

Is your CPU at stock speeds?

My cpu is at stock speed, and audio works fine voodooHDA. But, something is wrong when I tried to play movie file. Music works OK too. 

I used the Rocket 99. It works great and if you follow the youtube tutorials it feels safe and easy.

Temps were down about 8deg on idle and 20deg under load. I tried it at my previous stable clock of 4.7 and it maxed out at 65deg, so even if you don't want high clocks I think it's worthwhile.

I heard that some Asus users need pikes XCPM too. Do you have good speedsteps?

You could try this one. It changes from time to time.

attachicon.gifCLOVER.zip

The VoodooTSCSync.kext is set up for my 10 core chip so you might like to change that...

I used just this clover folder, but my system was extremely unstable. Problem was in OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. I had to relace with OsxAptioFixDrv.efi

• Like 1

Thanks Surf! I ordered that same delidding kit. 

Yep, I have good looking speedstep, although it only goes down to 1.2GHz on idle rather than 700MHz I think it is capable of. Have you managed lower idles?

Intel Power Gadget reports ~30W at idle, which is about twice what I would like to see.

• Like 1

Thanks Surf! I ordered that same delidding kit. 

Yep, I have good looking speedstep, although it only goes down to 1.2GHz on idle rather than 700MHz I think it is capable of. Have you managed lower idles?

Intel Power Gadget reports ~30W at idle, which is about twice what I would like to see.

My TIM was the holdup for this (in New Zealand). I used the Cryonought but it took a month to get here. The 5g I bought should do for about 10 delids haha. Like the videos tell you, only use about a pin head of it on each side. The syringe is not great, so put it on a clean surface first then transfer it to the CPU die with the tip.

My idle is the same as yours.

• Like 1

I just swich flag in my clover config named "fix darwin". After that, system became stable, but I still have a problem with playing movie file. Hmmm....I never had problem like this.

Perhaps link a short file so others can test? If no one else has this problem with the same hardware and EFI, then that just leaves the BIOS or a hardware problem.

I just swich flag in my clover config named "fix darwin". After that, system became stable, but I still have a problem with playing movie file. Hmmm....I never had problem like this.

I had to turn off hardware acceleration in my Chrome, that fixed my issues with youtube videos. It's better in the latest beta 2 (10.13.2) so no fix was required for that.

I also had to turn off anti-aliasing in the Heaven benchmark.

I thought this was just an issue with the vega but you can try these fixes.

With Nvidia I have had to have hardware acceleration disabled in Chrome since 10.12.6. That continues with 10.13.

Yes me too, but on the Vega anyway, the 10.13.2 has fixed that. Also my benchmarks are 20 to 30% better.

BIOS CPU voltage 1.2v (not Auto)

I had to do the same, system stable after that. So if you use the 7820X, I strongly advise you to fix the core voltage. Do not allow it to be on auto in your BIOS. In my case I have 1.2V for the standard 4.3GHZ and 1.21V for 4.4GHz.

Without this, Prime95 crashed the system in macOS but ran fine in Windows 10 (short 10 min test), and Geekbench 4 was the opposite: it ran fine under macOS but crashed under Windows 10. With this setting, the system is stable: I ran Prime95 for 8 hours with no issues.

What approach did you use to make sound work properly?

I tried the kexts out of your EFI Folder, Toleda and Apple ALC but I'm missing something.

VoodooHDA that you install like a package gives me horrible sound with a "fizz".

Thanks in advance!

Yes me too, but on the Vega anyway, the 10.13.2 has fixed that. Also my benchmarks are 20 to 30% better.

What do you get in Luxmark in 10.13.2 with a single frontier edition?

What approach did you use to make sound work properly?

I tried the kexts out of your EFI Folder, Toleda and Apple ALC but I'm missing something.

VoodooHDA that you install like a package gives me horrible sound with a "fizz".

Thanks in advance!

You need Clover DSDT patches in addition to AppleALC--rename CAVS->HDEF & PC00->PCI0 (or do it manually in an SSDT or DSDT).

You could find this out on your own by dumping your tables into Clover and looking at the DSDT, and then searching for the address always associated with audio and noticing it is no longer at ALZA (or, of course, HDEF).

• Like 1

I finaly setup my hackintosh using surfinchina‘s clover folder , with a little modifications on config.plist. I only changed cpu id and CrsActiveConfig to 0x0 because solving problem with instalation grafic driver. Problem was in signing divers. SIP must be enabled. I also had to modifie some parametars in bios. When I use default setup, my 7820X is overclocked, and mac os became extremely unstable. 

Thank you surfinchina for this guide. It helped me alot. :)

• Like 1

Does somebody have problem with annoying way of cooling graphic card gigabyte gtx 980Ti? Since I have motherboard giagabyte X299 aorus gaming 3, fans on graphic card works diferrent. On X99, fans work faster (with higher noise) only when I edited or render project in final cut or after effects. Now, on X299, fans switch on every 3-4 minutes, but with maximum speed and noise. Same situation is on windows 10. :(

Guys I have read the post and its amazing!

I have a new project for a friend, and we are considering to get:

- i9-7980XE

- Gigabyte X299 UD4

- MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11GB GDDR5X

- Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD PCI-e 500GB

- 4x 16GB (64GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 CL15

Do you think that this MoBo and the cpu will work as well as work i9 7900X ??

I think that this Nvidia should works fine with Nvidia Drivers.

this will be an amazing project jajaja

I would want to try a cool water cooling system , but at this time i only use  pre-charged water cooling xDDDD

Do you think that this MoBo and the cpu will work as well as work i9 7900X ??

I think that this Nvidia should works fine with Nvidia Drivers.

Sure, i have a perfectly running GIGABYTE X299 UD4 Pro running with i9-7900X and a Vega56 (flashed to 64) - all watercooled

That's my geekbench: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4892297

A solid watercooling solution is a must have for this kind of setup. I use 2 x 3x240 radiator and i love the silence.

Not that this is about hackintoshing per see, but this vid is of my rig with the new Primochill Vue liquid. Very trippy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg99k7y6p6dhbcd/20171121_163527.mp4?dl=0

Awesome - Good for you. I too just received 4 x Primochill VUE UV Green SX bottles and 2 x Violet UV bottles just today! Can't wait to use this stuff! Thanks for the video!

• Like 1

Awesome - Good for you. I too just received 4 x Primochill VUE UV Green SX bottles and 2 x Violet UV bottles just today! Can't wait to use this stuff! Thanks for the video!

I can't wait to see it! Mine looks so much better in real it's hard to stop looking at it. You'll be blown away with your colour combo.

The best look is at 25% on my D5 pump and with front lighting.

Can't believe I've downclocked to 4.8 just to make my fluid go slower.

Well it’s too bad because I have two high flow pumps working in tandem with each other . The two pumps that I have are the Swiftech MCP355! LOL! So my fluid is going to be moving rather fast. I do have a tall reservoir and hopefully it’ll show the motion nicely.

You know I did notice that my two pumps do have a four pin connector that would probably fit this:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

I’m not an expert in bios to try to configure some kind of fan controller using the motherboard doing that, but if I could find a PWM controller that I can turn it knob to turn it down that would be something I would be much more interested in and I think I might have the thing to do it. I know I have an older one with the knob I’m gonna try that out tomorrow. If not tomorrow I’m going to try it out the next week.

Well it’s too bad because I have two high flow pumps working in tandem with each other . The two pumps that I have are the Swiftech MCP355! LOL! So my fluid is going to be moving rather fast. I do have a tall reservoir and hopefully it’ll show the motion nicely.

You know I did notice that my two pumps do have a four pin connector that would probably fit this:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

I’m not an expert in bios to try to configure some kind of fan controller using the motherboard doing that, but if I could find a PWM controller that I can turn it knob to turn it down that would be something I would be much more interested in and I think I might have the thing to do it. I know I have an older one with the knob I’m gonna try that out tomorrow. If not tomorrow I’m going to try it out the next week.

I had a Corsair commander on my old rig.

It didn't work in OS x, but the settings made in windows stuck in the mac.

The fan profiles and lighting profiles worked just as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Since upgrading to 10.13.2, almost all my boot attempts end up with OsxAptioFix Errors. Tried all combinations i know, like OsxAptio2, Test2-2016, OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, LowMemFix etc.. No Success so far. Also tried BIOS reset. 

Any suggestions? Maybe somebody could compile a version of OsxAptioFix with more MaxMemory. I would do it myself but i can't get the clover compiler to work.

I don’t know much on how to program all those things you mentioned, but KGP did a Nic job explaining how to install the update to 10.13.2.

http://bit.ly/2kMHiQr

You may have been on here already, but if you haven’t you might want to look through that post. Read page one as KGP updates it periodically. Hope this helps, Later...

• Like 1