X299 High Sierra i9-7900x Radeon Vega

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 663 posts

Yes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to be able to partition it with APFS if possible, but just getting any type of partition on it would be nice at this point.  We are currently getting the media not enough space error.  In the past I have solved this issue, but no luck on this one.  :blush:  If it were in my possession I would simply slap it in another rig and partition it or even Carbon Copy the SSD to it.  :unsure:

Yes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to be able to partition it with APFS if possible, but just getting any type of partition on it would be nice at this point.  We are currently getting the media not enough space error.  In the past I have solved this issue, but no luck on this one.  :blush:  If it were in my possession I would simply slap it in another rig and partition it or even Carbon Copy the SSD to it.  :unsure:

I think I read somewhere that using dual graphics slots may effect the other available pcie lanes and specifically one of the nvme slots. I'm not certain as I don't have a x299 setup but I was reading about the x399 threadripper and pcie lane comparisons.

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 258 posts

I think I read somewhere that using dual graphics slots may effect the other available pcie lanes and specifically one of the nvme slots. I'm not certain as I don't have a x299 setup but I was reading about the x399 threadripper and pcie lane comparisons.

I would agree, but this was happening even when I only had one GPU on the board before putting on the other one. I'm going to install windows and try to erase and partition it. What good Windows app would make this happen?

On a side note,, I did use "Valley" (another rendering app) to test both cards (beyond using Cinebench and Geekbench), and looking at the Tach GPU (next to the power connectors) on the GPU, only one card was working. So it's becoming more evident that AMD is not moving forward with using Crossfire. If they did, this would be a rendering powerhouse of a Hackintosh. Hope they explore this down the road to make this happen.

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Architecture

I would agree, but this was happening even when I only had one GPU on the board before putting on the other one. I'm going to install windows and try to erase and partition it. What good Windows app would make this happen?

On a side note,, I did use "Valley" (another rendering app) to test both cards (beyond using Cinebench and Geekbench), and looking at the Tach GPU (next to the power connectors) on the GPU, only one card was working. So it's becoming more evident that AMD is not moving forward with using Crossfire. If they did, this would be a rendering powerhouse of a Hackintosh. Hope they explore this down the road to make this happen.

I used Aomei Partition assistant.

When I had 2 GPU the only rendering benchmark that used them together was Luxmark.

Attached File  Screenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png   1.05MB   7 downloads

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 258 posts

When I had 2 GPU the only rendering benchmark that used them together was Luxmark.
attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png

Okay, cool. I'll try that later tonight. And post my pics. Thanks.

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 663 posts

Apple doesn't support crossfire, thats a Windows setup we can only use two cards for some openCl apps with the openGl apps like uningine, cinebench and general gaming apps only one card is utilized.   It sucks, but its the apple way.    

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 258 posts

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png

Here's my score:

Both GPU's - 39,087 and Both GPU's and CPU - 41,922. and the GPU TACH lights were lit on both cards. So they do work, but just like Gig said:

Apple doesn't support crossfire, thats a Windows setup we can only use two cards for some openCl apps with the openGl apps like uningine, cinebench and general gaming apps only one card is utilized.   It sucks, but its the apple way.    

I wonder if Metal 2 and other like kind apps will be Photoshop, Illustrator friendly in the future or is CUDA going to continue to be Adobe's choice? Would be nice to know this. In any case this is a fast system. Would be faster if I had my M.2 SSD working. Have to wait until I get Windows 10 installed on my other SSD and install Aomei Partition Assistant.

mgregrs

mgregrs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So i haven't made any progress on the power management but i was able to finally get my Alpine ridge thunderbolt card running.... took a clean install of windows and a lot of turning things on in th right way to get it to show up so i could update firmware... but once that happened it worked first time in Sierra... Winn... I now have my UA apollo back.. woo.

So back to power management.... 

Ive Followed Surfchinas over clocking guide (well i added the relevant stuff in my BIOS)... and it didnt seem to make much differnce.

Im still hovering around the 20k mark with Geek bench. Ive tried a whol bunch of stuff but it never gets anywhere near my score in windows... which seems about right.

Im sure its something stupid im doing or not doing... as this is my first non standard hackintosh ive never had to deal with power management so i dont really know where to look.

Ive attached a bunch of stuff including Various tests with different stuff on and off.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Maybe you will try my ssdt? :D

PS: BTW Did you modified VoodooTSCSync? What is very very important too..

Right Mouse click on VoodooTSCSync.kext

file - then click  Show Packet Contents

then /contents 
then you have to open info.plist with some text editor 

and find IOCPUNumber

then change value on 19 if you have 7900X or 

11 for 7800X

Like that:

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>

<integer>19</integer>

Save -and reboot :)

*Did you tried iMac 17,1? maybe it will be better than 6,1?

.. if you have still the same, so "low" performance

We will see what we can do.... :)

Have a nice day! :D

Attached Files

Philterino

Philterino

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Enabling CPU EIST in bios seemed to give me a big performance jump.... I had voodoo set to 19 and had built a custom ssdt... but I will try yours to see if it's better. Thanks!

I'm getting about 30k on geekbench and 2300 on cinebenvh. Which is close to my windows score.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy