X299 High Sierra i9-7900x Radeon Vega

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 908 posts

Yes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to be able to partition it with APFS if possible, but just getting any type of partition on it would be nice at this point.  We are currently getting the media not enough space error.  In the past I have solved this issue, but no luck on this one.  :blush:  If it were in my possession I would simply slap it in another rig and partition it or even Carbon Copy the SSD to it.  :unsure:

Yes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to be able to partition it with APFS if possible, but just getting any type of partition on it would be nice at this point.  We are currently getting the media not enough space error.  In the past I have solved this issue, but no luck on this one.  :blush:  If it were in my possession I would simply slap it in another rig and partition it or even Carbon Copy the SSD to it.  :unsure:

I think I read somewhere that using dual graphics slots may effect the other available pcie lanes and specifically one of the nvme slots. I'm not certain as I don't have a x299 setup but I was reading about the x399 threadripper and pcie lane comparisons.

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 261 posts

I think I read somewhere that using dual graphics slots may effect the other available pcie lanes and specifically one of the nvme slots. I'm not certain as I don't have a x299 setup but I was reading about the x399 threadripper and pcie lane comparisons.

I would agree, but this was happening even when I only had one GPU on the board before putting on the other one. I'm going to install windows and try to erase and partition it. What good Windows app would make this happen?

On a side note,, I did use "Valley" (another rendering app) to test both cards (beyond using Cinebench and Geekbench), and looking at the Tach GPU (next to the power connectors) on the GPU, only one card was working. So it's becoming more evident that AMD is not moving forward with using Crossfire. If they did, this would be a rendering powerhouse of a Hackintosh. Hope they explore this down the road to make this happen.

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Architecture

I would agree, but this was happening even when I only had one GPU on the board before putting on the other one. I'm going to install windows and try to erase and partition it. What good Windows app would make this happen?

On a side note,, I did use "Valley" (another rendering app) to test both cards (beyond using Cinebench and Geekbench), and looking at the Tach GPU (next to the power connectors) on the GPU, only one card was working. So it's becoming more evident that AMD is not moving forward with using Crossfire. If they did, this would be a rendering powerhouse of a Hackintosh. Hope they explore this down the road to make this happen.

I used Aomei Partition assistant.

When I had 2 GPU the only rendering benchmark that used them together was Luxmark.

Attached File  Screenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png   1.05MB   10 downloads

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 261 posts

When I had 2 GPU the only rendering benchmark that used them together was Luxmark.
attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png

Okay, cool. I'll try that later tonight. And post my pics. Thanks.

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 908 posts

Apple doesn't support crossfire, thats a Windows setup we can only use two cards for some openCl apps with the openGl apps like uningine, cinebench and general gaming apps only one card is utilized.   It sucks, but its the apple way.    

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 261 posts

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png

Here's my score:

Both GPU's - 39,087 and Both GPU's and CPU - 41,922. and the GPU TACH lights were lit on both cards. So they do work, but just like Gig said:

Apple doesn't support crossfire, thats a Windows setup we can only use two cards for some openCl apps with the openGl apps like uningine, cinebench and general gaming apps only one card is utilized.   It sucks, but its the apple way.    

I wonder if Metal 2 and other like kind apps will be Photoshop, Illustrator friendly in the future or is CUDA going to continue to be Adobe's choice? Would be nice to know this. In any case this is a fast system. Would be faster if I had my M.2 SSD working. Have to wait until I get Windows 10 installed on my other SSD and install Aomei Partition Assistant.

mgregrs

mgregrs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So i haven't made any progress on the power management but i was able to finally get my Alpine ridge thunderbolt card running.... took a clean install of windows and a lot of turning things on in th right way to get it to show up so i could update firmware... but once that happened it worked first time in Sierra... Winn... I now have my UA apollo back.. woo.

So back to power management.... 

Ive Followed Surfchinas over clocking guide (well i added the relevant stuff in my BIOS)... and it didnt seem to make much differnce.

Im still hovering around the 20k mark with Geek bench. Ive tried a whol bunch of stuff but it never gets anywhere near my score in windows... which seems about right.

Im sure its something stupid im doing or not doing... as this is my first non standard hackintosh ive never had to deal with power management so i dont really know where to look.

Ive attached a bunch of stuff including Various tests with different stuff on and off.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Maybe you will try my ssdt? :D

PS: BTW Did you modified VoodooTSCSync? What is very very important too..

Right Mouse click on VoodooTSCSync.kext

file - then click  Show Packet Contents

then /contents 
then you have to open info.plist with some text editor 

and find IOCPUNumber

then change value on 19 if you have 7900X or 

11 for 7800X

Like that:

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>

<integer>19</integer>

Save -and reboot :)

*Did you tried iMac 17,1? maybe it will be better than 6,1?

.. if you have still the same, so "low" performance

We will see what we can do.... :)

Have a nice day! :D

Attached Files

Philterino

Philterino

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Enabling CPU EIST in bios seemed to give me a big performance jump.... I had voodoo set to 19 and had built a custom ssdt... but I will try yours to see if it's better. Thanks!

I'm getting about 30k on geekbench and 2300 on cinebenvh. Which is close to my windows score.

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Enabling CPU EIST in bios seemed to give me a big performance jump.... I had voodoo set to 19 and had built a custom ssdt... but I will try yours to see if it's better. Thanks!

I'm getting about 30k on geekbench and 2300 on cinebenvh. Which is close to my windows score.

I tried the EIST and you're right!

I'm still getting the speedsteps and the computer is a lot faster. Temps have gone up from mid 80s to low 100s in cinebench though.

Here we were just carrying on with the old X99 conventions without sufficient testing... Nice find!

hackintosh_builder

hackintosh_builder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If I use Nvidia 1080Ti and 128GB RAM, will it work?

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

If I use Nvidia 1080Ti and 128GB RAM, will it work?

I don't think the amount of ram matters.

There are new web drivers for Nvidia but I don't know if they work. There are a few threads around dealing with this :)

Moviemakergr

Moviemakergr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 452 posts

Asus Prime X299 Deluxe

It's moving forward ...

Hey bro..

Goodmorning can u please share your efi folder ?

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 908 posts

Off topic here but I have stumbled onto a sudo overclock for my Ryzen 7 1700 Vega 64 system.   Although the drivers for Vega are not quite there yet the RX 480 is kicking some serious booteeh!   I bet I can top your Luxmark and Geekbenches with it.    looky here!  It thinks its running at 4.9GHz.    

Attached Files

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 261 posts

Off topic here but I have stumbled onto a sudo overclock for my Ryzen 7 1700 Vega 64 system. Although the drivers for Vega are not quite there yet the RX 480 is kicking some serious booteeh! I bet I can top your Luxmark and Geekbenches with it. looky here! It thinks its running at 4.9GHz.

Although I do appreciate your enthusiasm, I was able to beat that score a few months ago with a multicore GB score of 59,104 using Dual 2697 v2 CPUs. In fact, there are others on here that reached a little over 50,000 with one i9 7900X CPU. I haven’t tried the other tests yet, but once I get my system going again (which hopefully will be within the next week), I will reveal the newest GB scores. Thanks for your post. ;)

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Off topic here but I have stumbled onto a sudo overclock for my Ryzen 7 1700 Vega 64 system.   Although the drivers for Vega are not quite there yet the RX 480 is kicking some serious booteeh!   I bet I can top your Luxmark and Geekbenches with it.    looky here!  It thinks its running at 4.9GHz.    

You may have. I can't get much more than 160000 for my vega and I'm pretty sure geekbench GPU scores aren't affected by CPU, so how did you get 200000 on your vega?

Gigamaxx

Gigamaxx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 908 posts

You may have. I can't get much more than 160000 for my vega and I'm pretty sure geekbench GPU scores aren't affected by CPU, so how did you get 200000 on your vega?

Its a mystery for now but if we configure it out it could be a sudo overclocking method.   There are skeptics but it seems to grade perfectly.   The frequency (sudo) shows up in Uningine openGl app.  

Check these out, sudo 6.0Ghz. set in clover.    If I set to 3.0Ghz I get the normal sub par 160,000 scores, as I scale up the benches follow.    My Vega run on 30bit color in Uningine no problem just need to disable AA.

Punknugget check out my Lux Vega 64 single card score.

Its a mystery for now but if we configure it out it could be a sudo overclocking method.   There are skeptics but it seems to grade perfectly.   The frequency (sudo) shows up in Uningine openGl app.  

Check these out, sudo 6.0Ghz. set in clover.    If I set to 3.0Ghz I get the normal sub par 160,000 scores, as I scale up the benches follow.    My Vega run on 30bit color in Uningine no problem just need to disable AA.

Attached Files

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 261 posts

Once I get my system up and running I'll have to run my LuxMark Test and see what score results show. Thanks for sharing... :)

unknown1221

unknown1221

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Any luck with getting 1220 audio to work on the X299 platform without the use of VoodooHDA?

surfinchina

surfinchina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Is it possible to attach your config.plist? If that's where you made the changes :)

apfelnico

apfelnico

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 42 posts

Any luck with getting 1220 audio to work on the X299 platform without the use of VoodooHDA?

Of course that is possible (Lilu+AppleALC+DSDT/SSDT):

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.png   859.94KB   7 downloads
  • Attached File  02.png   447.78KB   6 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X299, High Sierra, i9-7900x, Radeon Vega

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy