6 posts in this topic

System in question - 

ASUS P9X79-E WS 

32GB DDR3-2133

AMD FirePro W7000

Intel Core i7 4930K

240GB SSD / 3TB HDD

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

I have everything working on this build via two custom SSDTs, minus the onboard ASM1042 3.0 controller which I have hard-disabled via the motherboard's UEFI and replaced via a SIG PCI-E ASM1142 3.1 controller add-on card which has native OS X driver support & works flawlessly. 

Here's the rub - whenever I enabled "Above 4G decoding" in the UEFI on this motherboard it works in Windows 10 fine but in OS X it hangs in boot at "PCI devices Configuration" - the system won't boot with the AMD controller kext initialized. 

I have a Broadwell-E build (6850K) - MSI X99-A Raider that has "Above 4G decoding" as an option. If I plug my FirePro into that machine running macOS 10.12.6 it boots OS X just fine. However I've chosen to stick with my Ivy-E build for now due to issues the Broadwell-E build has with Sleep/C-states at times in OS X - they work but intermittently they break.

For instance after say 13 sleep/wakes on the X99 machine - there is a chance it will reset the machine entirely and begin a fresh boot-up sequence. It's weird...Is there anyway I can patch Clover/the OS X system to Force 4G decoding on the X79 build? Am I missing something? A patch I can apply to the DSDT? An ACPI Table I should drop? I am grasping at straws I rarely post so posting is like a last resort believe me. 

Additional Info - 

I'm using no ATI injector/running Whatevergreen.kext (allows working sleep and complete DP recognition + etc) Tried FirePro's UEFI BIOS with and without (legacy mode) Have tried npci=0x2000/0x3000 , Inserting Clover driver "EmuVariableEFI" with and without. All current CloverConfigurator patches with and without.

-Have also added my current EFI folder to this post. Any/all help greatly appreciated! I am very certain this pertains somehow to how the system handshakes with the videocard - not sure why it differs between this X79 & why the X99 build I have is allowing it on OS X. 

EFI.zip

System in question - 

ASUS P9X79-E WS 

32GB DDR3-2133

AMD FirePro W7000

Intel Core i7 4930K

240GB SSD / 3TB HDD

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

I have everything working on this build via two custom SSDTs, minus the onboard ASM1042 3.0 controller which I have hard-disabled via the motherboard's UEFI and replaced via a SIG PCI-E ASM1142 3.1 controller add-on card which has native OS X driver support & works flawlessly. 

Here's the rub - whenever I enabled "Above 4G decoding" in the UEFI on this motherboard it works in Windows 10 fine but in OS X it hangs in boot at "PCI devices Configuration" - the system won't boot with the AMD controller kext initialized. 

I have a Broadwell-E build (6850K) - MSI X99-A Raider that has "Above 4G decoding" as an option. If I plug my FirePro into that machine running macOS 10.12.6 it boots OS X just fine. However I've chosen to stick with my Ivy-E build for now due to issues the Broadwell-E build has with Sleep/C-states at times in OS X - they work but intermittently they break.

For instance after say 13 sleep/wakes on the X99 machine - there is a chance it will reset the machine entirely and begin a fresh boot-up sequence. It's weird...Is there anyway I can patch Clover/the OS X system to Force 4G decoding on the X79 build? Am I missing something? A patch I can apply to the DSDT? An ACPI Table I should drop? I am grasping at straws I rarely post so posting is like a last resort believe me. 

Additional Info - 

I'm using no ATI injector/running Whatevergreen.kext (allows working sleep and complete DP recognition + etc) Tried FirePro's UEFI BIOS with and without (legacy mode) Have tried npci=0x2000/0x3000 , Inserting Clover driver "EmuVariableEFI" with and without. All current CloverConfigurator patches with and without.

-Have also added my current EFI folder to this post. Any/all help greatly appreciated! I am very certain this pertains somehow to how the system handshakes with the videocard - not sure why it differs between this X79 & why the X99 build I have is allowing it on OS X. 

I also have the "Above 4G decoding" option in my UEFI bios, enabling it does not cause any issues in macOS for me. See desktop build in sig.

I also have the "Above 4G decoding" option in my UEFI bios, enabling it does not cause any issues in macOS for me. See desktop build in sig.

Alright. What you expect me to do with that response? I already stated that the X99-A Raider doesn't have this issue. I know it's not a universal issue. - Do you read people's entire posts you quote or just spam threads?

EDIT: Also the Geforce GTX 960 isn't even capable of Above 4G decoding so it's a moot point in the case of your system; you wouldn't even be able to test the issue without a pro-card. 

I do read posts and I do not spam. I was simply stating that I have the same option in my UEFI bios and enabling it doesn't cause any issues. So perhaps it's a config error on your behalf.

I know my 960 is not a pro card but the option is in my UEFI bios and I can enable it (I don't) and boot just fine. So the point isn't moot, it's a bios option that I can enable without any issues and you can't.

This is a help forum and I provided help by showing you my system and stating that I also have the option as with another of your systems but one of yours has issues with the option so perhaps it's a config error.

Is your bios up to date?

Maybe reset bios settings to recommended, reboot, change basic settings to boot macOS, boot into macOS, test, reboot, enable setting, reboot, test.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I do read posts and I do not spam. I was simply stating that I have the same option in my UEFI bios and enabling it doesn't cause any issues. So perhaps it's a config error on your behalf.

I know my 960 is not a pro card but the option is in my UEFI bios and I can enable it (I don't) and boot just fine. So the point isn't moot, it's a bios option that I can enable without any issues and you can't.

This is a help forum and I provided help by showing you my system and stating that I also have the option as with another of your systems but one of yours has issues with the option so perhaps it's a config error.

Is your bios up to date?

Maybe reset bios settings to recommended, reboot, change basic settings to boot macOS, boot into macOS, test, reboot, enable setting, reboot, test.

Yep - latest BIOS - have tried defaults etc but as I was saying above it happens on certain chipsets when the controller kext initializes for the GPU - for instance if I load the system without QE/CI enabled, it works (Above 4G). With QE/CI enabled - it fails when initializing the video card (verbose)... can't seem to figure it. Have tried with UEFI / without. With Whateverkext / without. ATI inject on/off. DSDT/none/ Clover/ non. All patches / different arrangements etc. Kinda exhausting what to think of. 

Far as your motherboard and enabling Above 4G decoding is concerned goes. I'll explain. So - when you enable it in the UEFI what happens is - it then allows the support of the feature; but for it to actually work a couple other factors have to be met. 1) You'll need to manually raise the PCI latency timer to something above "32" in your UEFI unless yours does so automatically 2) You have PCI/PCI-E devices that actually support "Above 4G decoding" - meaning if you don't - it won't actually be enforced on any devices once the OS engages. That's all I meant by "moot point". 

Yep - latest BIOS - have tried defaults etc but as I was saying above it happens on certain chipsets when the controller kext initializes for the GPU - for instance if I load the system without QE/CI enabled, it works (Above 4G). With QE/CI enabled - it fails when initializing the video card (verbose)... can't seem to figure it. Have tried with UEFI / without. With Whateverkext / without. ATI inject on/off. DSDT/none/ Clover/ non. All patches / different arrangements etc. Kinda exhausting what to think of.

Far as your motherboard and enabling Above 4G decoding is concerned goes. I'll explain. So - when you enable it in the UEFI what happens is - it then allows the support of the feature; but for it to actually work a couple other factors have to be met. 1) You'll need to manually raise the PCI latency timer to something above "32" in your UEFI unless yours does so automatically 2) You have PCI/PCI-E devices that actually support "Above 4G decoding" - meaning if you don't - it won't actually be enforced on any devices once the OS engages. That's all I meant by "moot point".

Could it possibly be the whatevergreen kext? I'm not familiar with amd cards so I'm unsure.