AMD High Sierra Kernel Release and Testing

1,119 posts in this topic

Have you tried just -v (verbose mode)?

Yes, "-v" is my default boot argument in config.plist.

In order to use Shaneee's kernel I need extra "-s" & "exit" to boot properply, otherwise it always got invalid kernel opcode (64-bit) errors.

Yes, "-v" is my default boot argument in config.plist.

In order to use Shaneee's kernel I need extra "-s" & "exit" to boot properply, otherwise it always got invalid kernel opcode (64-bit) errors.

My apfs system did it a few times I used -v -s and then once booted used dcpimanager to rebuild caches and it stopped.

• Like 1

Bronya's 17.0 kernel still most stable for my High Sierra 10.13.3, also with sleep/wake. 

I really hope our kernel developers will be able to build stable new versions. I believe Apple, as all others, has included the Meltdown and Spectre patches in their latest version of the kernel.

So 17.0 is not yet including these patches!

• Like 1

Yes, go to bios menu and check out your power on and wake settings. My gigabyte board has a bios or OS option it may be one of those for you as well.

I changed every power setting i had in bios disabled or enabled and it made no difference. The only thing that has changed is ive updated to shaneees 10.13.3 Kernel from the original in HSv2. Any more ideas? lol

I'll have a look at the shutdown issue when I can. Currently on my FX-4300 shutdown restarts.

Mr too, it goes to sleep nicely first the screen then the Mobo, hit he keyboard or power button and it wakes the board then goes to restart bios screen.    

In further testing of our Ryzen AMD system running Sierra 12.5 and High SIerra 13.1, Pro Tools HDX 2018.1 crashes at boot during initialization of Waves Plugins.

I am trying to following the updates to the kernels. Is there a page where they are organized for download. Them seem to be spread across multiple posts.

Yes, go to bios menu and check out your power on and wake settings. My gigabyte board has a bios or OS option it may be one of those for you as well.

Went back and retried bronyas 10.13 just for a test run, now restart and shutdown work again. Im sure Shaneee will have it fixed up in no time :) 

• 2 weeks later...

My apfs system did it a few times I used -v -s and then once booted used dcpimanager to rebuild caches and it stopped.

Do you mean that only apfs partition can rebuild caches at 10.13.4 beta without issue or it also failed ? Up to now it seems only you can rebuild caches for testing at 10.13.4 beta for AMD (FX & Ryzen) hackintosh.

It stopped the issue, in beta 13.4 the prelinkedkernel never gets a new time/date stamp using kext wizard or dcpimanager but both of those seem to do something because it allows it to boot. Using kext utility with AMD kernel in 13.4 I get the same error as you with a prelinkedkernel @0kb and it won’t boot.

There is something very different about the kernel system in 13.4 compared to the earlier versions of HS for AMD systems. With my Intel kext utility works in 13.4.

XFX Polaris 12-21 RX 460-560 have custom bios. It is the only brand with this problem. You need to install or replace the bios for it to work in macOS. XFX RX 470-580 work fine but the smaller cards don’t.

Can you exchange it or return for a different brand?

• Like 1

I have been testing a Ryzen 2200G with integrated Vega graphics with AMD kernels and I have found a few interesting results.    The IGPU graphics work with default Apple Display graphics support and I can browse and run youtube but there is no accelerators assigned.    I also able to spoof IntelKBLgraphics kexts to assign KBL CRB framebuffers 1-3 but still no acceleration.     

Dedicated graphics performance via RX 480 and RX Vega seem to run on par with my Intel CPUS.    My Vega 64 Geekbench compute is 186,000 and Valley ex HD is running at 52 FPS so it seems the usual 10-15% performance loss we normally get with first gen Ryzen CPUs is much improved.    With my Ryzen 7 1700 Geekbench compute is around 153,000 and Valley EX HD around 1800 so its a big improvement so far.    

I can't open "About this Mac" but using the back door "System information" shows the CPU listed as an Intel Xeon processor so maybe this is why I'm having better graphics performance.     I picked up a Nvidia 1060 for testing but its an open box unit and I ned to return it because there is no HDMI output in OS or Windows.    I will try again later to get it working to compare Nvidia graphics performance with the new Ryzen 2200G CPU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bbmatias3 said:

Nice!! You think it’s because the new ryzen had Integrated graphics?? Also any word on 10.3.4 beta on ryzen?

I’m in the 13.4 beta with this rig.   I think it’s better CPU and bios compatibility with increased frequency.     But the original Ryzen kernel work but there are a lot of errors during boot.    It gets past them using -s -v.

On 2018/3/12 at 11:07 PM, Shaneee said:

@Bronya您是否愿意将您的源代码更新为10.13.3 xnu,以供我的内核不同意的用户使用。

@Bronya@ShaneeeIn China, a businessman is using your original documents to make money, and at the same time, in the domestic forum, it is called original and starting!

This is the link of his shop:https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.76af4fcbkWTQSu&id=557391512850&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail