Thinking about dumping my i7 and moving to AMD. Please help.

surfinchina

5 posts in this topic

First off, I use hackintosh to do design work and it takes a lot of CPU to render my models. I need cores and lots of them. Preferably overclocked.

It's time for my 3 yearly computer upgrade (yay), so I just sold one of my rigs - the 5960x in my sig, and was going to buy the i9 10 core next week. BUT! I just realised I could get the 1950x 16 core threadripper for the same price. This would be much better for my design work. Save me hours each week.

I'm fine with hackintosh and am running Sierra or HS on my X99 hacks, but don't know a thing about hackintoshing AMD CPUs.

I know that nobody knows if the X399 will be easy to hack, just like the X299 and intel really, although the new mac pro is rumoured to be an X299 platform...

Anyway, my questions are these...

1. Will my AMD hack be as reliable as my intel? (Lets say a comparison between Ryzen and X99)

2. Do you think that the new X399 and 1950x is close enough in architecture to make it quickly hackable?

3. More generally, does the AMD platform in general have issues that'll make it difficult to work with productively? Like slow downs, hangs or blue screens. 

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I have been using an AMD hack and know I have an Intel.

Personally, I think Intel is a better choice because of compatibility. 

With my AMD rig I had to wait for patched kernels to release, so also waiting to apple xnu sources. Also some apps would not work inside an AMD machine.

With Intel I feel like my life is easier.

An AMD machine can work well, but I think Intel is more reliable.

But is my opinion.

• Like 1

Hi, I have been using an AMD hack and know I have an Intel.

Personally, I think Intel is a better choice because of compatibility. 

With my AMD rig I had to wait for patched kernels to release, so also waiting to apple xnu sources. Also some apps would not work inside an AMD machine.

With Intel I feel like my life is easier.

An AMD machine can work well, but I think Intel is more reliable.

But is my opinion.

Thanks for your answer.

That's what I figured. It'd be great to have lots of cores at a good price to do my work but not if I'm spending more time mucking around trying to keep it going.

Probably, if I use it as my work hack, reliability is the priority. Tax breaks make the intel option not too bad anyway.

Now just waiting for a successful X299 hack to set the precedence :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I realize this reply is a bit old to answer your question.  However, I have been doing personal and professional research the last few days into the Ryzen Threadripper.  I am looking for taking advantage of the NVME SSD speeds to boot.  So far, I cannot find a single motherboard manufacturer that has more than three M.2 connections on the motherboard.  I am very disappointed motherboard vendors not having an already implemented method to support four M.2 connections.  From many sources including AMD, the ability to boot an NVME based RAID with PCIe x4 support is a free software update September 25, 2017.  I expect a simple firmware modification by the various motherboard vendors will easily support an NVME RAID boot.  AMD itself does not currently know of a four NVME M.2 connector motherboard release.  I hope some are coming soon.  Before then, I believe a PCIe x4, Generation 3.0 to M.2 adapter card, in at least an x4 Gen 3 PCI slot, will support the fourth NVME SSD.  At that moment, it will be up to the motherboard BIOS details to fully support booting with NVME RAID 10.  Only ASRock clearly states in its x399 Taichi manual that NVME boot is supported.  Eventually, I will be testing a Ryzen Threadripper NVME RAID 10 boot hackintosh (maybe an Epyc).  That is likely no earlier for me than mid 2018.

Regardless, to address your question on using an AMD hackintosh based on Ryzen, I believe it is possible for a stable running system.  It will likely take some more time by the various people who love to figure these things out.  When I get my Gigabyte FX8350 successfully running OS X Snow Leopard and Lion, it takes a bit of time over the course of a couple months.  You will see the hardware details in my signature.  I recommend waiting a bit yet before taking the Ryzen Threadripper hackintosh plunge.  The biggest thing I see that can cause delay for a stable system for the render work, is making absolutely sure that the video card(s) you select are verified, working as expected in the hackintosh Ryzen Threadripper combination.  It might be best to have one multiple output video card.  I have read reviews of 4.0 GHz stable Threadripper operation using a water cooling solution.  I prefer using Noctua manufactured heat sink air cooling.  The temperatures are likely going to be in the 50C range.  Oh, I also like Arctic Silver thermal paste.  Once my FX8350 gets the Arctic Silver usage time complete, the typical operating temperatures are cooler by more than 8C.  The massive Noctua heat sink design dissipates heat very well.  The huge air flow fan is quiet too. :)

Since rd reminded me I opened this thread ages ago, I'll provide my own answer.

My new X299 with i9 7900x was such an easy hack. No kernel or kext patches, just the basic fake smc, network kext, USB kext and sound kext and away we go :)

My new Radeon vega works oob.

A very reliable hack for my work and really happy I didn't go for the threadripper.