Keep minimal OS/X partitions when creating VM storage?

2 posts in this topic

I have a Mac 'trash can' running El Capitan.  I successfully installed ESXi 6.5.0 on a USB stick and can boot from it.  OS/x is still installed on the SSD.   Now I'm attempting to create VM storage and I'm not sure how to maximize the space available on the SSD without losing the ability to reboot and use ESXi.

The vSphere web client can "attach" to ESXi and see my OS/x SSD drive, but the drive is not listed when I try to create new ESXi storage because it's seen as full.  The OS/x SSD shows three partitions:  

- EFI system of 200 MBs,

- 931 GB partition 

- 620 MB partition

(There appears to be a gap between the last two partitions.)

I don't know whether to clear the SDD partition tables or edit them.  I'd like to have the entire OS/x SSD drive available for VM storage, but I assume I'd still need the EFI partition.  Basically, I'm not sure how to create the storage without disabling my ability to reboot into ESXi.

I went ahead and cleared the partition table for the Apple SDD.  I tried to create a datastore using the SDD, but that step hung.  Implemented the fix described in kb2149537 to get past a AHCI_SIGNAL_ABORT_REQUEST error I saw in one of the logs.  But first I needed to enable the ESCI shell and SSH to remotely execute the commands listed for kb2149537. 

Rebooted and ESXi came up on it's own -- no need to use the option key when powering up the machine.  Retried creating a datastore and this time it was successful.

So clearing the Apple SDD partitions did not trash my trash can.  I can successfully reboot to ESXi and I can successfully use the full Apple SDD as a datastore.